What's new

HTF REVIEW: "The Time Machine" (with screenshots) - REPOST (1 Viewer)

Joe michaels

Second Unit
I think the best stuff ended up on the cutting room floor after watching the commentary and deleted scenes. The deleted scene gives the film more meaning and cohesion.

There are other parts such as Alexander's hand aging when he stuck it outside the machine and some humorous scenes involving a 1 8000 phone number in the future.

Also upon rewatching the trailer there is another scene that is missing where he is outside of his machine and looking around in some futuristic style village. Now I am really curious and wish they had included all of these scenes.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
OK gsave this a rent this morning. It always happens I hear nothing but negative comments, go in with almost no expectations and I actually kinda enjoyed the film. No, it's not the 1960's version that is THE Definitive version and a better movie. But this was an entertaining, well made variation on it. Basically the Question that the main character needs answering is so obvious that even an "Uber-Morlock" can figure it out. But it's no more motivation than is needed to show us glimpses into several different time pieces. I kinda like films that postulate future human evolution. And this versions Eloi are no more silly that the Bleach Blonde utopia of the first film. For a dreary Saturday morning tis was pretty good fare.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Just a quick other comment that this film did seem to be severely editted and there was alot of material in the trailers not in the film or deleted scenes. So perhaps it would've been fleshed out more. Everybody is also commenting that the romance was dropped, it really was'nt his motivation for going into the future was to find out why he could'nt change things, he already had accepted that his original mission was not able to be accomplished.
Overall I enjoyed it and will look for it used.

DavidEC

Stunt Coordinator
All I can say is that this movie had so much promise to it and with the way that it ended I did not feel good.. So many things from the novel and the many other Movie/TV versions of the story that could of been added.

But in the end I felt more sorry to the "Morlocks" than I did for the "Eloi"!

Like the "Philby/Filby" good friend side story.. here the time traveler was made to seem to be an out cast with no friends in his own time and the choice to stay in the future was an easy one (other than the fact he had blown up his time machine.)

--David

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
Rented it and watched it tonight and must say it was not nearly as bad as Ron made it out to be. Ron made it seem like the worst piece of trash released in the last 10 years! But all in all it was a fairly decent action/special effects flick. Not great mind you but worth a rental anyway. Much better than, say, the dreadful Planet Of The Apes.

Plus...Samantha Mumba provided some nice eye candy...which is never a bad thing.

Mumba Mia!!!!!!

Joe michaels

Second Unit
David EC you should have a spoiler warning there.......
It will spoil the end for someone that hasn't seen the movie.

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Gee, that's a very nice dress she's ALMOST wearing.

As for the DVD, we finally saw it last night. Personally, I didn't think it was all that bad for a Sci-Fi film. I mean, you know with a title like that, that it's hardly an Oscar-caliber film. It was fun, had good effects and "monsters". The kids will love it.

I admit that "Time After Time" was a superior film, but any movie with Time Machines and monsters is going to be Sci-Fi fluff and a popcorn flick. Sit back, dim the lights and enjoy it for the mindless entertainment that it is. (The DTS sound was a great bonus!)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Kraig - Sight unseen (I haven't viewed the new TIME MACHINE yet) I'd guess it's better than ARMAGEDDON. Damn, what a piece of crap that was! (I know, old news). But I surely do wish the director (Well's descendant) of this version had followed the book more closely and presented a view of the future, and particularly an ending, that was similarly bleak. The way our species is going, we aren't going to make it to nearly the date depicted in any version of the story.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I mean, you know with a title like that, that it's hardly an Oscar-caliber film.
I'd disagree. If done right, I feel that The Time Machine could make an Oscar-caliber film. It wouldn't win, of course, but it would be of sufficent quality. Don't forget that the book is a literary classic.

GregK

Screenwriter
Just a quick other comment that this film did seem to be severely edited and there was alot of material in the trailers not in the film or deleted scenes.
There were further changes, but these small changes I thought made a big difference.
Edited for grammer. :)

Kraig Lang

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks gang, with the differing opinions on this one, I'll wait for a bargain bin purchase. $9.99 sounds about right :D
Kraig

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You guys will love this!

One of the most rewarding things about
being a reviewer is receiving fan mail
like this....

Mr Epstien Moron:

You reviewed the Time Machine movie. I don't know what movie you watched , let alone who appionted you a movie critic but I watched the movie and it was great. It was very entertaining and I enjoyed it. You should
watch the original maybe you would get some background on the concept and learn a little about what things are based on and try to listen to the movie and know what it is all about. I am tired of you (so called critics)
putting down all the good action movies and praising all the shitty boring yapping movies which I fall asleep to.

Time machine fan
Man, it's times like these that are just priceless!

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Gee, I don't know, Ron...
That guy sure looks like he could write an articulate review! :rolleyes
I get these emails about twice a week, and laugh 'em off every time. Take it as a compliment; not only did the person read your review (which is all you really want anyway), but they were so moved by it that they had to contact you. :)
And if these petty criticisms somehow hurt your feelings (which I highly doubt), simply consider the source; anyone who thinks this remake is akin in any way to the original film is already feverishly flailing their own banner of ignorance.
So you're doing your job perfectly. Keep it up!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Hey Ron, now we have to go pull all those awful boring "Yappy" movies out of our collections god love people with short attention spans.. to the author of the letter.. Hey I liked the movie.. but don't go calling someone a moron for offering their opinion. Everyone's Entitled. Even You.

MarkBourne

Stunt Coordinator
In fact, Pal's (thoroughly delightful) version had more of an influence on the new one that H.G. did.
The opening credits tell us that it's "based on the novel by H. G. Wells," but pay attention through the closing scroll and you'll notice the dirty truth that it's "based on the screenplay by David Duncan," who scripted George Pal's 1960 adaptation — another simplistic rendering, sure, but one that benefits from a sense of wonder and charm that this new version sorely lacks. Watch both and you'll see that this one owes more to Duncan/Pal than to Wells. According to Writers Guild of America rules, the script is credited to (in this order) H.G. Wells, David Duncan, and (here's who had the easiest job of it) John Logan (Gladiator, Star Trek: Nemesis).
(from http://www.dvdjournal.com/reviews/t/timemachine02.shtml )
That's of course no excuse for a lame-ass "remake," but it does support the appearance that no one really wanted to work very hard on this one.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I bought The Time Machine for $15.99 at BB and liked it, no its not the best movie ever but it worked for me. Also takes my DTS disc count to 31!

Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks