What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Ten Commandments - Special Collector's Edition (Recommended) (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Can anyone verify whether or not they fixed the botched edit in the music cue right around where Bithiah raises baby Moses over her head?

Regards,

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
I guess I'm another lucky one who got the thick white case and all appears to be well. Funny though, I went to BB first and no copies were out. When I asked a guy told me that there was a problem with the packaging and they all needed to be re-packaged. He got one for me from the stock room and the discs were scratched like crazy. I have not viewed the discs or listened to the commentary yet. I gotta tell you though, the low price is a dead giveaway that
this still is NOT the definitive DVD version of The Ten Commandments. You can put me in the catagory of those who would rather pay more money for a classier product than a rush job of a classic to be released before Passover. I too have the original poster framed up on the wall as it is one of my favorites movies. There is a wealth of information about this movie if Paramount would have dug a little deeper. Heck, even I own some very old magazines that tell about how the special effects were done for the pillar of fire and the parting of the red sea. If you go to ebay, you might find two people who are selling the actual theater program from 1956. How about reproducing that and including it here? And YES, include the silent version on another disc. It NEEDS to be here in this set. Nothing inside but discs? Paramount, are you kidding me? This is one of the most respected titles in the history of your studios. It needs much better treatment than what we were given.

John KB

Second Unit
I got the white case from Future Shop here in Winnipeg, but still exchanged it with my original case and insert, which matches since the chapter stops are exactly the same. I saw both the white and black cases.

All 7 or 8 black cases that I tested had the DVD flying around loose inside!!

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
I picked up three TC's DVD's at BJ's and two of them had discs floating around inside. I wouldn't take a chance buying this title on-line.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

Price is a "dead giveaway" of nothing. The comprehensive Once Upon a Time in the West had more supplements and carried the same MSRP. The wonderful Bogdanovich DVDs--Targets, Daisy Miller, Paper Moon--had MSRPs below $15. This also wasn't a rush job, having been planned for at least six months.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
The Scanavo packaging is a sign to me that Paramount is cutting corners. IMHO using crappy packaging like the Scanavo packaging is really unacceptable on a S.E. Fortunately I keep a supply of multiple disc Alpha keepcases round for this kind of occasion.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Just got my order in from DDD, and it was RIFE with scratches. A novel packaging idea, Paramount, but what awful presentation. My second disc was unplayable, and there was a big skip in the movie. To say I was dissapointed was an undestatement.

Marco F

Auditioning
Scott,what did you use to buff out the fine scratches?.I received TC in the white Alpha case and the disks were not loose.I did however notice a few fine scratches on disk one in a small area round the middle of the disk.Also around the very edge were some deeper smaller scratches but since they are on the edge of the disk is not that big of deal and probably no info there anyways.The disk spins in the case causing the those scratches on the outer edge of the disk.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Well, if someone (above) said that Paramount planned this release at least 6 months ago, I am surprised it took that long to plan. I still agree with most others. The real movie fans want quality classic releases. Paramount could have released this version to satisfy the bargain shopper, and actually remastered the movie and made a beautiful box set for those who want a supreme edition. Film cels, a newly made documentary interviewing those still alive, photos of the prsss materials, ad mats, costume designs, special effects stories, screen tests (yes I have seen some for this film), it all could have made a nice 40.00 package.

To those wondering what I meant about the laserdisc release, there were 2 laserdiscs. One was from the early days of laserdisc, I still have it. It is panned and scanned, and full stereo, even the VOICES are moving constantly from left to right (unlike later versions). Then Paramount released a special gatefold laserdisc version done after the 70mm theatrical reissue, in AC3 sound , which is the same transfer as the two dvd's, identical in picture and sound. I compared them last night. This was never a frame by frame restoration as it should have been. It was only cleaned up, which is not nearly as extensive a restoration process. When Moses basket comes floating in off the Nile, look at the women in the scene that discover it. The faces are almost blurry. No way was this restored with the tools they have today.

If Paramount didn't feel this movie was worthy of a top rate modern restoration, for God's sake, what is?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm also surprised Paramount didn't do a better job
with this. The Ten Commandments is considered
a crown-jewel in their library.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I'd first like to say to Tony Dale (above post), that this is a forum, where people pool information, and sometimes it is opposing, but that's no reason to respond as you did. I heard proof with my own ears on the subject, and also please remember that people have different sources for information, and nothing about classic movies, especially soundtracks, is EVER written in gold. It was not unusual for studios to make special prints for certain cities, without keeping any records of it, so the web based instructions you sent me too for showing the Ten Commandments doesn't mean that at a special showing, it was all done the same way as a general release or even general Roadshow. I have heard many stories from the experts that are completely different from each other in the past, even from studio sound mixers working on the same film, differ sometimes in their memories. Regardless, I thought the tone of your note was really unnecessary. We're all film lovers here, can't we be nice to each other? You don't need to answer in that tone, Tony. There certainly are much friendlier ways of saying things than the way you replied to me publicly.

As for my sources, I did give you one. This "friend of mine" (as you quoted) remembers every movie he projected in his long career down to the smallest details, what soundtrack it had, even the months and years the movies played, aspect ratios, even dates, ect. He is currently writing a book about the subject. I'll tell you again that I sat at his house the other night and listened with my own ears to a recording he made from the booth of the theatre within the first month of the TEN COMMANDMENTS opening here in Minneapolis, he often made his own soundtracks for personal enjoyment. It was FULL stereo sound. This man also is a good man and I can guarantee you would never lie to anyone, his experiences will soon be posted on a major web site as well. I would not post facts without feeling I was given good information, in this case, there was no room for error as I HEARD the tape. The tape was actually labeled with the year from the manufacturer as well.

I respect the others on this site who have given information, but in this instance, it is very hard to agree because I heard with my own ears a recording made in stereo of this movie upon it's release, only a few days ago. The tape took us hours to dig up, and even the date on this tape was correct with the first month of the films initial release. I am going to try and post a small segment for those that would like to hear it on my homepage.

I don't feel I gave anyone "misleading" information, especially when I sat and listened to proof. I passed along this info only after hearing the stereo tape. Isn't that what this wonderful forum is all about, pooling information that we obtain? And again, while even the best of experts may know much, there is no way anyone can be completely sure of soundtrack information on movies from the 50's, unless they were the actual studio employees, and even then I have heard many from the SAME PROJECT give different stories. The studios made many different prints for big or special showings.

I don't care to turn this issue into any kind of back and forth arguement. I would rather spend time enjoying good conversation with other members, I really love this site, but I felt the need this time to respond and defend my own ears. Sorry to have disturbed you so to the point of such a response.

Also, were you aware that there were different manuals for presenting these movies? Because the one posted in Widescreen Review says the movie is mono does not mean that was the only one sent to all theatres. I have 3 different studio letters for BEN HUR made for the theatres on how to run the film,and one of them was made for mono theatres and how to set the level, the other 2 were stereo presentations.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Let me intercede here and say that there is no cause for any personal comments made by one member towards another. So let's be respectful towards each other and our differing points of view. That being said, it's obvious to me that the majority opinion in this thread is on the side of no vistavision or stereo sound for this title. It's really interesting to me that there is a difference of opinion regarding those issues.

Crawdaddy

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Tony,

May I also intercede here and suggest that you
be cautious regarding the manner of your responses
to our members.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As Mr. Siegel has stated...

ANYTHING is possible when it comes to film presentation and audio release formats -- or at least ALMOST anything.

While it has been generally accepted that T10C was a 35/4 mono release, it is possible that a special arrangement was made with a specific theatre per either their request or that of the studio, or for that matter, Mr. deMille's office.

In the past, (and speaking generally) theatres have been permitted to order (and pay for) 70mm prints of any number of productions in order to better promote their presentation over a neighboring theatre's, inclusive of the possibility to run a stereo track as opposed to mono.

As the film was a Vista production, it is possible, although unlikely, that there may have been special venue screenings in 8 perf.

It is also possible that a stereo version may have been produced, either as an actual discreet recording, or channeled for Perspecta, via which a tone moved a monaural audio track from speaker to speaker.

Although I have done a reasonable amount of research into the photographic portion of this production, I have (to date) done virtually none in regard to the audio side.

Also, because something does not exist today, has no relevance to the possibility that it may have existed nearly fifty years ago. This must be acknowledged, especially with the frail nature of magnetic stocks of the period.

That said, this can all be properly researched and (no pun intended) written in stone in short order.

The files necessary to bring the history of this production to light should exist in their complete state, as Paramount has a superb system, as does Technicolor.

A stereo presentation could either have been accomplished via a Fox perforation print with three or four channel magnetic, a standard perf print with faux Perspecta, or a standard perf print with interlock of a magnetic fullcoat (which makes the situation a bit more difficut to resolve).

There was, for example, at least one double system print of Bridge on the River Kwai produced, whether to run in stereo or to take advantage of a wider aspect ratio.

(Virtually) nothing is written.

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks