What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Sopranos - The Complete Fourth Season (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Stephen Heath

Stunt Coordinator
While I can see the arguments about season 4 I think they are poised to have a very nice arc at season 6. Just imagine...

Everyone but AJ abandons Tony because of the seperation, New York decides he has to go and has him taken out... Uncle Ju dies from health complications, and Sylvio and Johnny Sacks set up AJ, Christopher, Paulie and the NY boss, giving them control of Jersey and NY. Carmela hooks up with Furio and they tie the knot in a civil ceremony in Italy since Tony is dead and Meadow hooks up with ... well, anyone... the series ends with the minister introducing Meadow and her husband as Mr. & Mrs. Joe Schmoe, as at that moment, there are no more Sopranos.

Granted, that wraps things up "neatly", and this show may not want to go out that way. I'm fine with that, the only thing I really really want is Tony to be taken out before the show ends.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
The thing that I didn't like with Season 4 more then the hanging plot threads is that suddenly every character was in thearpy. The Tony - Melfie angle was what always drew me to the show. However, by S4 I didn't look forward to them anymore, because it felt more like Tony's turn to talk to a thearpist. Everyone had their turn.

Blu

Screenwriter
In S4

Dr. Melfi was pretty much forgotten about, she became nearly MIA as far as characters go.

I realize that even S4 will have its apologists, but it is by far the weakest, worst that the Sopranos have been.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
but it is by far the weakest, worst that the Sopranos have been.
Yes. After two great seasons, one good season, and now this one. I can safely say that it was. IMO.

I don't mean to be so brutal towards this show. I love the last three season, and the first season consumed my life with its awesomeness (if such a thing could be said), however Season 4 did not feel like the Sopranos.

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
Well, I am sorry you guys feel that way because I get alot of enjoyment out of season 4. I know that season 5 will be great and the abbreviated season 6 should end the show nicely :frowning:

I don't think Tony will be "taken out" until the last episode...And I even have my doubts that will happen. I am feel he will get busted and get life in prison. If he does get killed or busted, it will be because of some impulsive actions he does without thinking.

Steve_AS

Second Unit
1) The Season 4 set can be had for $63 at buy.com
Don't you guys ever use dvdpricesearch.com or dvdpricecompare.com?

2) Season 4 was underrated, and improves upon re-viewing.

3) I predict that the Russian/Pine Barrens subplot *will* be resolved sometime in the last two seasons

4) I predict Meadow will end up running the family after Tony is arrested/killed. Clearly she has the smarts and cunning that AJ sorely lacks, Christopher is smacked up and in the FBI's sights, Tony doesn't trust the rest, and most tellingly, Meadow's been loyal to 'our thing' whenever push has come to shove.

5)When all this goes down, Carmela will become a nun to atone for her sins. ;>

Nick Totoro

Stunt Coordinator
Don't really think it's a spoiler, because it was part of a post where you were just speculating, but I'll flag it as one just to be consistent...

Essentially what I'm getting at is that they don't know where they're going with the show anymore. And I have a bad feeling Tony will be abducted by Aliens at the end of the upcoming season, only to have his role filled by Robert Patrick until he is found.

Bolivar G

Second Unit
I finally watched S4 all the way thru. I still enjoyed it very much. May not be as great as S1 and S2 but its still worth buying and owning, IMHO.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
This augument has been upon us since the season aired. Bottom line if you like Sopranos because you think it's a story about the Mob and it should feature constant Whacking and Gangland activity then you'll be disspointed. If you like Sopranos because it's a drama about the interactions of a family that happens to be in the mob. THe plotline about Money is intergral to the failing marrige between Tony and Carmela. THe whole season showed how Tony was becoming further seperated from both his wife and family and Mob Family , Silvio and Paulie. THe last episode with the final Nail in the coffin between Carm and Tony was amazing. So if you can look beyond whacking theres alot to be found

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I'm watching it now (9 down, 4 to go) and enjoying it very much. While nothing is going to reach the heights of the first two seasons, S4 is at least the equal of S3 and perhaps even better. Both seasons have the same narrative deficiencies when compared to the tightness of the first two, but the emotional arcs of the characters are still very much intact. Also S4 has had a more generous helping of humor.

I know Melfi is a popular character but I find her the least compelling, anything with her on her own, w/her family, or with Bogdanovich is just dead air IMO; so I don't mind at all that she's marginalized in S4 and think it is of benefit to the show. S3 suffered from Melfi overload.

The one thing I don't like is how Paulie's being made into a bad guy/whiner when he used to be my favorite supporting player on the show.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
1) The Season 4 set can be had for $63 at buy.com
Usually Best Buy runs pretty good deals on Sopranos IF you buy more than one set at once. So I'll wait for S5 and maybe S6, and if the show picks up again, just buy them all at once. If not, my collection ends at S3.

Of course, you won't be able to watch them in the meantime, but HBO usually shows the whole season in its entirety right before they air the new ones.

Rick Deschaine

Stunt Coordinator
A recommendation for all of those who hate to pay a lot for these sets. I was able to purchase the first 3 seasons for about $40 each. Season 3 I got at Blockbuster used and season 1 and 2 through the Amazon.com used section. I just double checked the sellers rating before ordering. In all 3 cases, the quality was perfect for the discs.

Unfortunately, there aren't any great prices for season 4 yet since it came out, but if you can wait you'll probably be able to get it for around $40 - $45 in a couple of months.

Later, Rick

EricW

Senior HTF Member
for me the show declined when Tony's mom died
and when he stopped going to therapy (and even when he returned to it occasionally it seemed contrived).

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
Won this set in a giveaway at DVD Town. I saw the first three seasons on DVD, absolutely loved them. But decided to take a pass on buying No. 4 because of the price mostly. So I was thrilled when I got my freebie copy.

Just finished watching the season, and I have to say that I'm glad I made the decision not to buy it. A huge dropoff, IMHO. This season seemed directionless -- it meandered most of the time without any focus. A couple or three standout eps, but overall, quite poor, at least by the standards set in seasons 1-3.

I hope it has a nice rebound in S5. But I have to say that right now, I fear that the greatness is history.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks