What's new

HTF REVIEW: The Simpsons - The Complete Third Season (Highly Recommended!) (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Wish it was that simple...This glue is nasty stuff. There's no way you can get any of it to roll up in little balls.
Then the glue used on your copy is obviously not the same type as used on others. Too bad. You'd think that the individual(s) in charge of the tiny details like this would stop and think for just a second or two .... then they'd HAVE to realize that placing super-sticky substances that are not easily removable on Custom-type collectible materials just isn't a keen idea! :frowning:

WHY use glue at all, would be my question to the packers of such DVDs like "The Simpsons"??!! One tiny, simple rolled-up piece of cellophane tape would serve the same purpose as the glue. (After all, the piece of paper is held to the back of the case by the shrinkwrap anyway.)

Well....I guess things are stickier up in Canada. :)

Well....I guess things are stickier up in Canada.
Not all of us, I guess....there was one person from San Diego who had the same problem. FWIW, I had the most success slowly peeling the paper off, leaving mostly the glue. Goo Gone did the trick from there; the parts where the page itself remained were harder to get off, the Goo Gone had to soak through the paper and then dissolve the glue. Not so easy. Is Peter Staddon the FOX rep here on the HTF? Perhaps he can have a look into this issue so it's not replicated next time around.

SCH

Galen_V

Second Unit
The glue stuff came right off of mine, no problem. The strip was located horizontally towards the bottom of the package, where the Simpsons are lying down on their backs. The only problem that I really had was that the page wasn't centered on the back so that the bottom of the page curled underneath the box a bit. But no biggie.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
The only problem that I really had was that the page wasn't centered on the back so that the bottom of the page curled underneath the box a bit.
But why was this a "problem", since it's being immediately removed from the back of the box? :confused:

(Or did you mean that you wished to save the info page, and that it became mangled?)

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Out of all of that stuff, the only one found so far appears to be the Homer at the Bat outtakes. If all that was accurate, it looks like quite a few more E. Eggs are left to be found (even that stuff not listed as E. Eggs are not easily found on the set - if they're actually on it).

TedT

Second Unit
Not all of us, I guess....there was one person from San Diego who had the same problem. FWIW, I had the most success slowly peeling the paper off, leaving mostly the glue. Goo Gone did the trick from there
It also may have something to do with the heat. Been really hot here lately. I've come into contact with this glue many times and have never had a problem before. This time it just SMEARED itself all over the back of the box, rather than roll up into little balls.

Cloth with rubbing alcohol and lots of elbow grease got it out.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
You're missing out on a whole lot of fun if you (don't try to figure out which state Springfield is in).
Wrong, I'm having more fun than anyone, at the expense of those who foolishly try to figure out the answer to a question that intentionally doesn't have one. The writers are toying with those of you who insist on trying to figure it out, which is funny. What isn't funny, on the other hand, is when people get all technical about something like this. It sucks all the fun out of it. What's funnier, Bart's head obscuring a map of the US when Homer and Lisa try to teach Apu where Springfeld is, or a dull list of all of Springfield's geographical attributes?

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I scanned through a very long thread at the No Homers Club message forum and was able to cull together an Easter Eggs list of sorts:

I haven't tested these out yet, but I wanted to share.

(NOTE: I tested the following and they work: The extra Mike Reiss commentary on Disc 2 (Lisa's Pony), and the audio outtakes on disc 3.)

Incidentally, is anyone else disappointed with the all-black menu screens? It's a rather minor complaint for such a great collection of Simpsons episodes (and commentaries!), but all black...blah.

Jim*F

Stunt Coordinator
While I haven't had the time yet to watch all the discs and examine the extras and easter eggs, I can explain why "84763" is the code for the outtakes easter egg!

I'm surprised other Simpsons fans didn't notice this, but $847.63 is Maggie's "price" when she is accidentally scanned at the supermarket in the opening credits! (When I first read this thread, I thought those numbers looked familiar, then I confirmed it in the official Simpsons episode guide book.)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised other Simpsons fans didn't notice this, but $847.63 is Maggie's "price" when she is accidentally scanned at the supermarket in the opening credits!
Wow, GREAT observation! You sir, are a Genius!

I can see all us fans now trying to figure out all relevant numbers in the Simpsons

Jim*F

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks everyone! For me, The Simpsons is one of, if not the all-time best show, especially for sheer joy of repeat viewing (well, The Prisoner, while not as laugh-out-loud funny, is probably the greatest show of all time -- absolutely incredible each and every time I watch the 17 episodes).

The Simpsons live on 742 Evergreen Terrace and Homer sang about Table 5 at the yard sale, so we need to try those numbers on all the discs! And Grampa Simpson was spanked by Grover Cleveland on two non-consecutive occasions! (Not that that has anything to do with the discussion, but it makes me laugh every time I hear it!)

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Glad to have one of my favorite seaons on DVD. I haven't seen most of these in years thanks to my FOX affiliate showing the same episodes from season nine on over and over. This is officially the best TV DVD set I own now.

I hope we get Conan O'Brien commentaries on the season four set. I just gotta hear his comments on "Marge vs. the Monorail.":D

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Thanks for that list, Scott. And thanks for the explanations of the numbers, Jim. So, although these secret numbers needed for the E. Eggs are annoying, it's at least creative. :)

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Additionally, has anyone had any trouble accessing the Czech audiotrack on Treehouse of Horrors? I clicked through the tracks and it skipped track 5 out of 6. 1 is English, 2 is Spanish, 3 is French, 4 is commentary, and 6 is Polish. But my player didn't let me pick track 5. Has anyone else had this problem? I haven't tried it on any of my other players yet, but I thought it was a little strange.
Then again, why am I so interested in the Czech track? I guess I'm more interested in finding out why it skipped over it.
My player does something weird with the audio tracks, too. It seems to skip from track 4 to 6, as you described. I don't know what language it is, but on track number 6 you hear the English dialogue, with some guy speaking another language apparently telling you what the characters are saying.
If I push the language button again, my player displays the "no" sign, but switches to a different audio track. In this audio track (not sure what language), there is a MAN doing Marge's voice!

Speaking of audio tracks, what happened to the 2.0 English tracks? They were on the previous two season sets, but not on this one.

Michael Bee

Auditioning
I've tested all of the eggs Scott listed, and they all worked. I'm glad Jim figured out the reasoning behind the 8476 & 742 numbers, because that was really bugging me :emoji_thumbsup:

There are still a bunch of eggs that haven't been found, supposedly.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Through some weird glitch in either my player or the DVD, I discovered that there is some way other than the audio button to access the hidden commentaries.

Somehow I got to a menu page for one of the hidden audio tracks (for "Bart the Lover", I think) on disc 3. It was labeled as a "hidden feature", and had an "ON / OFF" choice just like the regular commentary track menu.

When I selected ON, instead of going to the episode, it just went to the scene select menu and started cycling through some other menus. I was not able to select anything from the menus, and had to stop playing it and restart it again.

I am unable to get this to happen again though.

Edit:

I just looked on http://www.snpp.com/news/dvd.html and saw this:

This sounds like the menu screen I found, but I know I never entered "10". (That's probably why the menu didn't work right when I found it.)

http://www.snpp.com/news/dvd.html also has a link to an interview with Al Jean (http://dvd.ign.com/articles/436/436093p1.html) where he "confirmed that the delays are caused by timetable problems in recording the commentary tracks."

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I guess this doesn't bode well for hope that we won't have to wait a whole other year for S4

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks