What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Simpsons The Complete Fourth Season (1 Viewer)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I'm the exact same way, even though for some of these episodes it has been a long time since I've seen them in sindication. I don't think the local station that has Sindication of the Simpsons has shown a s4 episode since I was still in high school...and I graduated in 1999! So what I do is, I'll watch the episodes once without the commentary just to remember it and from here on out it is commentary tracks nearly everytime accept for some of my all time favorites. I don't buy the DVDs specifically for the commentaries though as I'd buy them even if they didn't have those tracks because I love the show, but the Commentaries make the purchase a lot more enjoyable.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
You know, it's funny: now everybody says that season 4 is the best, but at the time, I remember quite a few complaints, from fans and critics, that the show had gotten too crazy, too willing to go for cheap laughs at the expense of story, too sappy, not subversive like the first season... IIRC the ratings weren't at their best at this time, and the incredible buzz that the show had gotten in the first two or three seasons started to decline. Most of the original writers left after season 4 (some of them, of course, have come back). It really looked like the start of the decline, at the time, though now it looks to most of us like the Golden Age of the show. Goes to show how things change.

Not to be pedantic, but Conan's leaving had nothing to do with any decline in the show. He was only working on the show for a year (he was there for the fourth season left after the first few episodes of season 5), and he was only a "producer" which in modern sitcoms just means a staff writer who ranks slightly higher than the story editors.

I suspect that the decline of The Simpsons can be traced to the declining involvement of Jim Brooks. The commentaries make it clear how much he was involved in the early seasons of the show, and how much he contributed.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
You know, it's funny: now everybody says that season 4 is the best, but at the time, I remember quite a few complaints, from fans and critics, that the show had gotten too crazy, too willing to go for cheap laughs at the expense of story, too sappy, not subversive like the first season... IIRC the ratings weren't at their best at this time, and the incredible buzz that the show had gotten in the first two or three seasons started to decline. Most of the original writers left after season 4 (some of them, of course, have come back). It really looked like the start of the decline, at the time, though now it looks to most of us like the Golden Age of the show. Goes to show how things change.

Not to be pedantic, but Conan's leaving had nothing to do with any decline in the show. He was only working on the show for a year (he was there for the fourth season left after the first few episodes of season 5), and he was only a "producer" which in modern sitcoms just means a staff writer who ranks slightly higher than the story editors.

I suspect that the decline of The Simpsons can be traced to the declining involvement of Jim Brooks. The commentaries make it clear how much he was involved in the early seasons of the show, and how much he contributed.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

When watching that episode use the audio button on your remote to cycle through the tracks, there you will find a second audio commentary that he appears in.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

When watching that episode use the audio button on your remote to cycle through the tracks, there you will find a second audio commentary that he appears in.

BryanV

Stunt Coordinator

If my memory serves he was listed as writer on most of my favorite episodes.

There are many many many more great episodes to come before we start to see the decline in quality. It is the recent episodes where they repeat plot lines from earlier episodes.

The greatness of Season 4 is that its more abstract in its situations and humor without literally winking at the camera. One of the deadly sins the show commits now is explaining ironic moments to the audience like we are too dumb to get the joke.

All I am saying is that In my perfect world Conan would quit the talkshow game and go back to either SNL or Simpsons or both.

BryanV

Stunt Coordinator

If my memory serves he was listed as writer on most of my favorite episodes.

There are many many many more great episodes to come before we start to see the decline in quality. It is the recent episodes where they repeat plot lines from earlier episodes.

The greatness of Season 4 is that its more abstract in its situations and humor without literally winking at the camera. One of the deadly sins the show commits now is explaining ironic moments to the audience like we are too dumb to get the joke.

All I am saying is that In my perfect world Conan would quit the talkshow game and go back to either SNL or Simpsons or both.

Joe Road

Agent
Other TV box sets have only a few commentaries if any. I think the fact that we get a commentary on every episode is awesome. I think we are spoiled when it comes to theses box sets, and I'm lovin every minute of it.

Joe Road

Agent
Other TV box sets have only a few commentaries if any. I think the fact that we get a commentary on every episode is awesome. I think we are spoiled when it comes to theses box sets, and I'm lovin every minute of it.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor

O'Brien was the credited writer on three Simpsons episodes: "New Kid on the Block" (Bart falls in love with the Sara Gilbert character), "Marge vs. the Monorail," and "Homer Goes to College." Plus he wrote the "Night Gallery" linking segments in the Season 5 Halloween special (that was probably the last thing he wrote for the show before leaving).

I'm not saying he isn't a funny guy, I'm just saying that he was never a high-ranking writer on the show (because he left before he could be promoted), and there are at least a dozen other writers who had more to do with the show's success than he did, but it's always "Conan O'Brien should come back," simply because he's the most recognizable name.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor

O'Brien was the credited writer on three Simpsons episodes: "New Kid on the Block" (Bart falls in love with the Sara Gilbert character), "Marge vs. the Monorail," and "Homer Goes to College." Plus he wrote the "Night Gallery" linking segments in the Season 5 Halloween special (that was probably the last thing he wrote for the show before leaving).

I'm not saying he isn't a funny guy, I'm just saying that he was never a high-ranking writer on the show (because he left before he could be promoted), and there are at least a dozen other writers who had more to do with the show's success than he did, but it's always "Conan O'Brien should come back," simply because he's the most recognizable name.

BryanV

Stunt Coordinator
OK now I see your point. Very interesting and I think accurate observation. We recognize that name and are nostalgic for the mid 90's episodes and credit Conan for something he really had little to do with LOL.

Thanks for the info Jaime.

I'll just have to say that the from season 4 till about 1998 or so were my favorite years for the show the first three seasons where OK and the recent years have been embarrassing.

I will no longer credit Conan for the "good" year tho.

BryanV

Stunt Coordinator
OK now I see your point. Very interesting and I think accurate observation. We recognize that name and are nostalgic for the mid 90's episodes and credit Conan for something he really had little to do with LOL.

Thanks for the info Jaime.

I'll just have to say that the from season 4 till about 1998 or so were my favorite years for the show the first three seasons where OK and the recent years have been embarrassing.

I will no longer credit Conan for the "good" year tho.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Bizzarro world reporting:

Picked my set up at Costco today AND...

Scratches on 4th disc. Was firmly seated in the hub (not a "floater").

TWO, count 'em, TWO copies of Disc 3. No Disc 2! I put them both in to be sure disc 2 wasn't mislabed somehow. Sure enough, two copies of disc 3. :angry:

Anyone else have problems? Have to wait until Thursday to swap 'em out. Are ALL of Costco's run like this? :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks