What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Simpsons Season Six (1 Viewer)

tripp

Auditioning
Oh yea - as for the shipping charge, that is insane. I almost do not want to order the box because of it. They really are sticking it to us.

I shouldn't have to pay for it, although, I do understand them not wanting to pay for it either.

Regardless of the matter, this all sucks.

Randall Cyrenne

Stunt Coordinator
I bought mine on a special sale, gaining a further 10% off the discounted price, so I may just go ahead and put the money out for the old-fashioned package. The new one is just too cheap, flimsy, and poorly suited to sitting next to the other seasons. Plus, if Fox ends up having to replace enough of them, they may revert to the old style for future releases, or even do duplicate releases--- so you could pick up either style. Now there's an idea!

I also wonder if future pressings may use the old-style package instead of having to keep manufacturing specialty "Homer Heads".

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I was taking a gander at the Season 4 and 5 Simpsons DVD sets, and thinking how those very well-designed hunks of packaging make the new S.6 Homer tomb look like feces on a stick.

Everybody should right now take out your S.4 and S.5 sets and marvel at the thought and effort that went into those cases, via the many highly-animated and excellent drawings of the cast members that adorn the inside fold-out panels of the cases (esp. S.4); and the cute gags involving the different images once you remove the discs, i.e.: Krusty gets a face-full of pie after you remove the disc with his picture, etc.

Hopefully the S.6 "Nerd/Anal/Baby/Whiners" replacement box will be half as nice as either of the S.4 or S.5 Digipak homes for "The Simpsons".

Does anybody else fear the replacement box will be labelled: "THE SIMPSONS: THE COMPLETE SIXTH SEASON: SPECIAL ANAL-RETENTIVE COLLECTOR'S EDITION"? :)

Seth--L

Screenwriter

It's not that bad. I agree that some people are noticeably louder than others, but I think that's because so people just are, and they way the imaging was done -- it's been constructed as if you the viewer are standing in front of a horseshoe table which all the commentators are seated at. As a result, the people on the sides are in the foreground, while the commentators in the center are more distant. This was done to create a sense of space in between the people.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Well, I can't say I like the new packaging. It's interesting, and I give Fox credit for trying something different, but it's too cumbersome, too uneven and the plastic is too flimsy to work (these are not Star Trek TOS cases!). So I ordered the replacement case. I shouldn't have to unpack a suitcase to get to the DVDs (a frequent problem with fancy packages, like the Star Trek TOS cases). I might well have stuck with the new case but it's not even -- it's bumpy compared with the old ones. I hope enough people go with the old style cases this time around that Fox makes those the standard for seasons 7 and up, and offers the cheap plastic heads as the alternative.

All that aside, the Season 6 DVDs look great and I can't wait to dive into them. Some really great episodes in this season, including one of my favorites, Bart Vs. Australia.

Dan Szwarc

Stunt Coordinator
The packaging is horrible! A nightmare of plastic and things that fall out, get lost, and break!

I will be ordering the replacement box. $3 is $3. I can waste $3 buying a bag of chips.

I don't care about packing similarity. They can change it every season. What I want is usability. This packing is clumsy, dangerous (plastic cuts!) and an ergonomic nightmare. It reminds me of the Cylon head that was on the Battlestar Galactica original series DVD set. Not shelf friendly.

The Family Guy set gets 5 stars for being usable and simple.

Call the 800 number (it works as of August 21) and record the message that Homer himself gives. It is hilarious! I hope somone will post it on the internet soon.

Now the first season of the Muppet Show... That's cool packaging.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I saw this in the store yesterday and didn't even bother. The thing won't even stand up on it's bottom edge. I'm wondering if FOX will ever re-release it with the alternative packaging in the stores. I just don't feel like dealing with the hassle right now.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I ordered the box - it wasn't too much of a hassle, since I did it online, printed the form and mailed it in along with the 800 insert and the check. Took about three minutes.

Now the real hassle is the price sticker that Best Buy put on the case sleeve (which, yup, I plan on keeping anyway). Even a little 'DVD' sticker on the case itself left annoying sticker-residue.

By the way, anyone found any easter-eggs yet? I noticed that for each episode on disc one (that's how far I've gotten), you can click on the episode code on the mug shot above the menu. But it just goes to the episode.

I'm also checking for hidden commentaries.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member

It can't be with overlapping discs :thumbsdown:

The only Easter Egg I know of is that after the "Fear of Flying" commentary, there's a brief tribute to Anne Bancroft.

Josh_HI

Second Unit

Yeah I was angry about that at first to but I just got the sticker and put it on the part where it left sticky stuff and pulled it off and put it on until all the sticky stuff was gone. That seemed to work.

Adam_G

Grip
I didn't get a 1-800 insert either (got mine from Best Buy) and I really don't wanna use my receipt (incase one of my discs is defective) and I don't wanna cut up the episode guide for a proof of purchase.....

So I guess I have no choice but to use the receipt.

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
I really don't wanna use my receipt (incase one of my discs is defective)

I've exchanged damaged discs at Best Buy without a reciept before. As long as you're exchanging for the same title they're cool with it.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
Speaking of packagining obsession, what I'm wondering is...will there be two versions of the alternate packaging (one for Canadians and one for Americans)? I'm one of those Canadians who gets annoyed by the bilingual packaging, and I'm wondering if FOX would go to the trouble of making both a U.S. and bilingual English/French version of the box, since they've been doing it since the season five set, and the Homer's Head Box is bilingual in Canada.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Has there been any confirmation that the replacement box will be the same as the previous 5 sets? That is, will it include the outer box, folding DigiPak and full-size booklet?

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Since the flyer proclaims that it's the same style, I'd assume so except I don't think they'll include a booklet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks