What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Simpsons Season Six (1 Viewer)

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I was wondering about the shrinkwrap too, not just because it might be easy to make off with it (just take off the plastic slip, open Homer's head and take out with the digipack)...but also because every copy in the store had fingerprints all over the plastic slip. Which is a little petty on my part, but it's still kind of annoying to see all the fingerprints.

Mike_Craft

Stunt Coordinator
im outraged... $5 CDN is too much for a damn box. I mean once 8 months pass and the Simpsons DVD sets drop in price... they go for only $19.99 CDN. Having me pay 1/4th of the actuall set extra just for the box which it should originally come with is rediculase.

I suppose I have no choice. But does this mean I must waste $5 more for the next 4 seaons of heads? if so then thats $25 lost on just boxes. if all seaons of simpsons have heads (assuming 20 seasons) then thats $100 I have to spend on nothing but boxes

**** fox... everyone just wants the old packages. Its not like people out there buy random seasoned sets. I dont know about you guys... but whenever I buy a seasoned sets... I buy the whole series. and the series must be in similar packaging.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

The 1-888 number is the right one. The insert mistakenly lists the 1-800 number which I believe is to a L.A. law firm.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
No. The guys at TVShowsOnDVD.com say that they were wrong before. The 1-800 number now goes to Fox for replacement boxes.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
If they switch it to a 1-900 number, I ain't callin' it (no matter how sexy of a Selma (or Moe) impersonator they have answering the calls). I have my standards, ya know. ;)

What I really don't understand re. this (apparent) packaging debacle is the blurb from TVShowsOnDVD, which stated....

"Most Simpsons fans we've heard from have LIKED the "Homer's Head" packaging for The Simpsons - The Complete 6th Season, and are looking forward to upcoming cases featuring the rest of the family's noggins."*

* = This blurb, however, was obviously posted well prior to any buyers actually getting the set and seeing its flimsiness.

Based on nearly all comments I've read (including the venomous reviews of the Homer Head box at Amazon.com), it seems like the vast majority of people speaking out hate the thing.

But, I suppose it's like most things in life -- i.e.: If everything's perfect, people don't dish out too many compliments; but if it's bad, it's Katie, bar the door, the complaints will flow. Just like at a restaurant I guess. How many times do people race to the kitchen to compliment the chef for that great B.L.T. they just ate? But if there's anything wrong with the sandwich (like, say, a Homer Head sticking out of the bun or some similar little triviality like that) -- then the customer is demanding a refund faster than a speeding bullet! :D

Matthew Marino

Stunt Coordinator
Why is everyone so concerned with this number? Go to simpsonsbox.com and fill out the form there. If you call the number it will just direct you there.

RomanSohor

Second Unit
I was looking forward to the new Boxes, they don't matter that much to me. I did order the replacement one, because the plastic that houses the DVDs already became detached from the cases. The case doesn't stay together on its own, you need to put the plastic sleeve over it, and it doesn't fit around the head very nicely.

If the heads were oversized, so that a regular box would fit inside it, I would be applauding the boxes. For now, I am hoping they improve the quality of the heads for future seasons.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just received the Homer Head from Amazon, and Amazon messed up the plastic on the top with their heat shrink wrap. I am glad that Fox is offering an alternative box that matches the others.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I have a complaint regarding the commentaries.

It seems like they didn't have enough microphones for everyone or something. On all of the commentaries I have listened to so far, there has been one participant that is MUCH quieter than the others (but not the same person each time), to the point where I have to turn the volume up all the way in order to (just barely) hear what he is saying.

It's as flimsy as the plastic containers that Happy Meals used to come in.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Wow it's been months since I've posted, but anyway...

I picked this set up yesterday and while I've been indifferent to the change in the box style from the beginning, I for one am happy with what I've spent my money on.

The design on the inside is fun, with the crayon in Homer's head and with the case file booklet. I even like that the discs themselves have a new style of storage.

In terms of the durability of the case, it certainly is not heavy duty. However, if it means that I can still pick these up for $30 a pop instead of shelling out another 10-15 dollars for a more solid plastic, then I can live with that. Besides, I try and be careful with my discs regaurdless of how sturdy the case may be. I guess accidents do happen though.

As for the content, I of course, am ecstatic. I'm thrilled they included Springfield's Most Wanted. Bring on Season 7!

Seth--L

Screenwriter
I'm a bit miffed that they didn't talk about the controversy over The Critic cross-over in the commentary track, especially since they've all openly talked about it in the past. Lovitz, as always, is hysterical: "Each time I sang at Carnegie Hall they said 'that's as good as it gets'...Now on DVD!"

KyleK

Second Unit
On a non-packaging related note-

I noticed something very odd in the episode "The Springfield Connection" on Disc 4. At about 16:50 the picture fades very rapidly to black and back to the image 3 times. When viewed at normal speed it is almost like a strobe light flash. Now I have a little experience with video equipment, and this struck me as possibly the result of someone bumping a knob or switch during whatever process the episode was going through, which in itself is kind of funny. But seriously, this season must have been rushed through production quite quickly for something like that to get through Fox's "quality control." I had all the lights off in the room and I seriously thought we were experiencing a power surge or failure or something.

Of course this issue is somewhat minor, although when taken into account with the packaging debacle it makes me long for the old days when we could look at our Simpsons seasons sets on our shelf and smile and say "Well, there's something done exactly right."

Kyle :D

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Nothing to be alarmed about Kyle. That flickering is just the lights dimming in The Simpsons' house for a second. Poor 'ol Hans Moleman was being sent to the chair in the previous scene and they were just throwing the switch. :frowning: :D

KyleK

Second Unit

Haha, well that's a bit embarassing. I guess since I was watching it with two other people and they both thought it was a mistake, I assumed so also.

But still, this packaging deal mars The Simpsons' otherwise nearly spotless DVD record.

Here's a question: Does anyone think that they will do this same mail in thing for all the heads? Or will they offer a choice in-store, or abandon the heads altogether?

Kyle:D

tripp

Auditioning
Hello all,

I am a Simpson's nut - to the point where I ran one of the largest Websites on the net about them back in 1996 or so. Fox sent me letters saying to take it down for copyright infringement. BOO Rupert Murdoch.

Well anyways, the point of this post is to inform you guys that after talking with the Best Buy employees where I bought the DVD set from (29.99 until This Sunday I think), they informed me that the entire family is going to be done in the Homer style. I sort of confirmed that by digging around on the net. Nothing is set in stone, but i wouldn't put it past them. I would like to see what they do after the family is done. What next, Millhouse. Now a Ralph package, is a different story. :D

I really do not like this idea at all. It appears as though a lot of people do not like this at all. Why they messed with a good set, I will never know. If they changed anything, it should have been to the packaging style of the Family Guy sets. I really love that style.

A couple of posters mentioned that there was no shrink-wrap on the set. Thats pretty funny that you all mentioned it because when i was asking for a piece a paper to write the 800 or 888 number down, the sales rep showed another sales rep how easy it was to steal the disks.

Oh well, I guess for now I will have to deal with being insulted that I FEAR CHANGE. I too, found this insulting. Fox is not doing this change properly. Oh well. Sorry for a rant on my first post, but, I feel this debacle was worth it.

Thanks,

Alan Brown

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks