What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Simpsons Season Six (1 Viewer)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
If they gave me an optional reason for requesting the box, I would have said...

"Homer's forehead is more frightening than the evil monkey that lives in Chris' closet."

Joe Acevedo

Agent
Am I the only person who did not receive the 800# insert inside their head?

It is a nice offer from Fox, but I would never have known about it if it were not for this site. I hope this is not too prevalent.

Jeff Reis

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, now that I have it this package is even more of a disaster than I anticipated. I have no problem with the concept of the design but the execution is just miserable. Seems to me they could have done a Homer head with cardboard instead of this flimsy, unwieldy plastic. Kudos to Fox for offering an alternative because this is a mess.

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator
I still love the new packaging, shoot me now! :b

There is an even greater reason to love it in Canada, the bilingual stickers all peel off nice and easy, for people who think Homer's head would look bad on their shelves you should see what a mess bilingula spines are.
Especially something like Blade II, which is just Blade II in French, so what do they do, write it once up and once down, looks real nice.

I hope we get stats of units sold vs. replacement boxes ordered.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Nope, and I'm kind of annoyed. Just checked mine and it's still giving me the option to cancel, so its not even ready for shipping. What's up here? Amazon is not usually this slow.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
If you get free shipping, they don't consider you a priority, which I learned the hard way with Simpsons season 5 which didn't ship until a week after release for me.

You might want to cancel and order from Best Buy, which is cheaper anyway and ships within 24 hours.

Geoff_G

Auditioning
How exactly do you play all the deleted scenes on their own? THe only thing I can do is play them while the episode plays and the icon comes on the screen. When the deleted scenes are played this way though, it causes the DVD to revert back to the beginning of the first episode on the disc. Is this an error?

Josh_HI

Second Unit
Well I got my copy today. I gotta say it is different but knowing that I will soon have the original box helps. I actually like the style inside homers head.

My guess is that the original box for Season 6 will be black colored. Atleast thats the way it should be since they have black on the side of homers head.

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator
[Comic Book Store Guy]"Worst DVD packaging ever![/Comic Book Store Guy]

:) :) :)

Actually, I was willing to give the new package a fair chance, even after hearing about the replacement packaging offer. But after getting it home and opening up, I absolutely hate it. Besides being flimsy and not matching the other sets (which I could live with), it is the most awkward thing to take apart to get to the disks, with lots of pieces and parts that will eventually get lost or damaged. Uggh...I hope they go back to the old packages for subsequent releases.

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't gotten mine yet, so I don't yet know for myself how flimsy the plastic is, but...

I love the head design(s), but want the alternate box(es) ANYWAY, just to have them (or have the option to change my mind...) so I'll mark 'Just like free stuff' in the Reason poll...

I do love free stuff.

Three bucks to ship... yeah... that's okay... an extra fifteen bucks for five boxes isn't too much to tack on... but they're going to do DIFFERENT designs for 11-15 and 16-20, are THEY going to need two variations, too, or...?

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
When you come to think about it -- the SimpsonsBox website and the people needed to field the 800-number phone calls are big wastes of time and energy, and are both needless expenses on FOX's part. I wonder why they just simply didn't use the 800-# insert in the S.6 set as both a proof-of-purchase item and an actual order form, with a section on the form to enter your name & address (plus instructions on cost and where to mail it)? That would have been much simpler, and certainly MUCH less labor-intensive from FOX's POV.

Instead, the phone # and/or the website data accomplishes the very same thing that my suggested alternate avenue accomplishes, but with a lot more people involved to answer the constant phone calls.

An odd approach to an offer like this, IMO. Seems like they wanted to create as much needless work for themselves as possible. Most curious. (But I applaud FOX for offering the other box. That was sweet of them indeed.)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
OK, I just picked this up, and I don't have too much of a problem with the packaging (it's neat, but rather flimsy, and the way to hold the discs themselves needs work), but WHY the hell is there absolutely NO shrinkwrap on this thing??? It's going to be obscenely easy for shoplifters to get the discs out and make off with them, and I can only imagine how these things are going to look in stores that like to put price stickers and alarm tags on them! I bought mine at Target which didn't stick anything on it, but these are gonna look like hell at places like Suncoast.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

It's on sale at Best Buy for $29.99. At Circuit City, it's $32.99 before $10 off when you buy any other season.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

I was thinking the same thing when I first picked it up but I guess they think that it's not much less protected than any other DVD. Granted the plastic slides off but shrink wrap is pretty easy to get off too and you still have the plastic secutirty tags on the side of the box. I guess we'll know how many copies are stolen if Season Seven has shrink wrap over the top of it too. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks