What's new

HTF REVIEW: "The Sandlot" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED PURCHASE) (1 Viewer)

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Jeff - I KNEW I was leaving one baseball movie out that I had (but didn't have time to search for when posting) - and you nailed it, immediately ;).

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
And don't forget that Major League is coming...
Link RemovedWild Thing! You make my heart sing...Link Removed

paul o'donnell

Second Unit
Thanks for the review Ron.
I saw this when I was fourteen, 6 years ago. Being in the UK, Baseball is not exactly big over here. I still remember when I saw this film, I had hassled my parents to let me get a bat and a mitt in about six days flat, lol. Its been my favourite sport since.
I LOVE this film dearly and I am over the moon that I finally get to see it in its 2.35:1 framed glory, I can finally replace my VHS. I had to get dv-depot in Canada to stock it so I could order it :)
btw, Major League is out when?

Sutjahjo Ngaserin

Stunt Coordinator
Whether I agree with every Ron's review or not, I like to read Ron's informative reviews and I have great respect for Ron's relentless and almost selfless effort in this forum.

Keep it up Ron!, don't let anyone browbeat you! sticks and stones may hurt you but names will not!

Jaw

paul o'donnell

Second Unit
Thanks for the link David, later this year huh? Happy Happy Joy Joy :)
-----------------
The transformers thing is comic books yeh, but it is the first based on old characters since the 80s AND later this year there will be a new show, currently titled "Armada" which will feature old and new characters alike. If that takes off it will mean the return of old characters/show in toy and DVD form :)
So it BEGINS April 2002, buy that comic everyone :D
-----------------
But back onto topic,
Squints: "The Kid is an L-7 weenie"
Yeah-Yeah: "Yeah-Yeah, oscar meyer even, footlong, dodger dog, A WEENIE"
Bennie: "What'r you laughing at yeah-yeah, you run like a duck"
:laugh:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The transformers thing is comic books yeh, but it is the first based on old characters since the 80s AND later this year there will be a new show, currently titled "Armada" which will feature old and new characters alike. If that takes off it will mean the return of old characters/show in toy and DVD form :)
So it BEGINS April 2002, buy that comic everyone :D
Thank you; I'm there! My 3-year-old was quite excited by the posters and covers your sig links to! In fact, he cried when I closed the last window! :frowning:
I'll be SOOOO there!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
This is a classic movie- great to hear that it's gotten appropriate DVD treatment.
My guess (and it is ONLY my guess) is that Ron feels uncomfortable reviewing Fox titles due to the extreme generosity that the Fox people (most notably Peter Staddon) have shown not just to Ron, but to many members of this forum.
Frankly, Fox hasn't released a subpar disc in a very long time, as far as I can tell. If they put out a movie you like, then you should probably pick it up. :)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Frankly, Fox hasn't released a subpar disc in a very long time, as far as I can tell.
Okay, I'll definately get back on-topic here and say a few things about this:
1) I tend to agree with the above statement in general. The Sandlot was an exceptional DVD at a super-low price! And the other recent titles I've bought from Fox are all sweet, too. BUT:
2) I am a tad concerned about this recent trend of taking 2-disc SE's and repackaging them as 1-disc items. First Patton (which was all I could spot yesterday as I "made the rounds"...the 2-disc version seems to be long gone), and now Cast Away, The Abyss, and Independance Day. Luckily, I've got all four of these, but what's next? Star Wars: The Phantom Menace? Or will it finally be something I don't have. Uh-Oh! I better run out quick and but up every 2-disc Fox title I might ever want...who knows if it will be there tomorrow? Note to Fox: not everybody who hasn't bought the 2-disc SE of something falls into the category of "if they haven't bought it yet, they must not want the special 2-disc version". There are still new folks buying into the medium for the first time, and they may want the 2-disc versions of these titles, too. Once you convert them, the SE's will be really REALLY hard to find, unless you plan to maintain stock on both versions and pump 'em out to the stores. Oh, but I forget: the stores hate stocking two different SKUs!
3) I've seen enough scuttlebutt around the 'Net lately - plenty of it right here at HTF - to realize that folks are getting defective discs (Moulin Rouge, Stealing Beauty both come to mind quickly) from Fox and that there hasn't been any really great customer service on these new issues like there was for, say, Cleopatra. No definately published "do this and we'll send you a fix" solutions this time, and MR's been out for a while now, right? Perhaps I missed something, but as you guys know I tend to visit around the sites every single day...I'd be surprised if one got by me. Maybe I just overlooked it since I haven't had the same problem with MR and I don't own SB yet (maybe not ever if the defect isn't fixed).
4) #'s 2 & 3 lead me to believe that Fox might be cutting back a bit due to the economy and all. If there's any substance to that idea, then this might just be the tip of the iceberg.
5) As I've noted elsewhere, Peter Staddon hasn't been around lately to say hello to us and maybe give us any encouraging words. AGAIN I WILL REITERATE THAT HE HAS *NO* REQUIREMENTS OR OBLIGATION TO DO SO...HE HANGS OUT AT HTF ON HIS OWN TIME, SO-TO-SPEAK, AND SAYS WHAT HE WANTS WHEN HE WANTS. But, even if he's just taking a post-holiday-rush vacation and can't get on-line because he's traveling, it just isn't reassuring to not have his feedback about the issues I raised above. I'm just a tad nervous, is all: we have watched WB go from the cream of the crop to the bottom of the heap very fast. I don't want to envision the same happenning to Fox, but anything's possible.
Is anything really, truly bad about Fox? No, I'm just being paranoid. But is everything perfectly peachs-and-cream? Nope. Nothing's perfect, as my wife is fond of saying. :)

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
Ron,

Will you continue reviewing Fox product on your new review site?

If you are taking suggestions, then I will also chip in a vote to please continue your reviews of Fox product. Your HTF Reviews have played a role in many a dvd purchase of late for me.

Gary_E

Second Unit
I picked The Sandlot up today and I have to give FOX credit for an almost perfect DVD.

There are both an anamorphic 2.35 transfer and a P&S transfer on a single disc, with each side having different color rings around the hub. This is in my opinion, the best way to stop the OAR/P&S war that seems looming on the horizon. I'm not as opposed to P&S sharing a disc as long as a quality, anamorphic, OAR transfer is provided.

The disc has DD 5.1 audio, a featurette, a trailer and TV spots all for $15.00. If FOX keeps producing this type of product at this price, I'll continue to support their efforts with my purchases.

-Gary

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Fox really puts a lot of work into their DVD's (Even some of their earlier ones).

I don't buy many Fox DVD's (It's all about movie selection), but all of the Fox DVD's I have are top-notch.

Now...if Fox released F.W. Murnou's Sunrise to DVD fully restored with as much extras they can put on the DVD (Or simply let David "Silent Movies on DVD" Shepard produce a DVD), I'd be the owner of SEVEN Fox DVD's.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just want to commend Fox for producing a fine dvd for this under appreciated film. As a child of the 1960's, I'm a sucker for any film that revisits kids growing up during those times. While watching this dvd, I found myself having flashbacks to my own childhood experiences such as playing ball all day or going swimming with my buddies. We didn't have the entertainment advantages that exist for kids today such as video games and computers but I bet we had just as much fun if not moreso by being outside all day and enjoying the world around us. Anyhow, back to the film, I've seen this film more than a few times including a viewing during it's theatrical run and I must say this film should have been a bigger hit than some films with similar themes but with bigger box office returns. Fox gave "The Sandlot" a great video presentation and I want to thank them for not forgetting little films like "The Sandlot" or "Breaking Away". This is one excellent disc!

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread