What's new

HTF REVIEW: "The Ring" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
making the "curse" a virus. I mean, I prefer the supernatural kind of explanation. When you start trying to explain it with science it becomes cliched Resident Evil crap.
I agree with you there :emoji_thumbsup:

edit: oops, spoilerized quote.

Zenas

Agent
I agree that most "scary" movies nowadays are nothing more than ridiculously violent bloodbaths with unsuccessful actors running around doing a semblance of "acting". Quite pathetic, really, and not at all scary. The Ring, however, was scary... quite scary. And though Ron seemed to have found it an "incoherent mess" at the end, I felt everything was perfectly tied together. Again, as some have mentioned, it's what you don't see and imagine that really has the most effect. And the comment someone brought up about having to add scenes to Western versions of Eastern movies is actually quite true. Try watching a good anime presentation one day (I recommend Evangelion)... that is a series that will turn your head to mush, and then chew on it. :) Lots of fun... hehe... In any case, what I found most appealing about the Ring was what they didn't end up showing... and DAMN!! The ending scene freaked me out to no end.... you know the one I'm talking about... :)

Dan M

Second Unit
I enjoyed this movie quite a bit. As a lover of horror films I thought this one to be one of the better ones of late. I followed the story pretty well but I do have one question:In the flash back scene where the mother is shown killing her daughter and throwing her into the well, why are they dressed like from a different time? The mother looked to be dressed in a Victorian style. At first I thought maybe this was some sort of reincarnated theme, but when she put that plastic bag over that kid's head I'm like whoa!
Any thoughts?

Bryant Trew

Second Unit
I went with my wife to see this movie when it was in the theater we both enjoyed it for its spookiness factor, it wasn't Scary per say but definately spooky, luckily I saw it with a mainly adult audience but what bothered me about seeing it was sitting next to this black woman who must have been around 40 years old who laughed histarically when
JeremyFr, I'm just curious about why you thought that black and 40 years old were of relevance in your post. What was the point of you articulating this as opposed to the races and ages of those who didn't laugh? :confused:

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Yes, I am curious about that comment myself. If somebody is annoying in a movie I just want them to shut up. There is nothing worse than trying to enjoy a good movie with annoying people in it. I could care less what race,age or gender they are. Anyway, I just wanted to put in my 2 cents in about the movie. This is simply one of the best horror/drama/thriller movies I have seen in quie a long time. It really scares my wife and I. I bought it on Tuesday and it has taken everything in my power not to watch it until Saturday night. I have a few people coming over that have not seen it yet,so I have held off on watching it until then. And I totally agree with a lot of you on the ending of this movie. I remember when I saw it at the theatre, I was all like this another great movie that got ruined with a happy ,fluffy ending. Woman finds girl and the curse and her soul is set free to be happy. But was I wrong. Woman finds girl sets her soul free to be even more evil! I loved it.
Another creepy thing about this movie is that my niece looks exactly like the little girl in it.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
The "Don't Watch This" minimovie is an interesting method of presenting deleted scenes. I found it to be very effective and enjoyed it greatly.

The only thing that I really wish they had included was the trailer. I mean, the trailer was just perfect. I think I have to get Ringu just to have the trailer on DVD. Check it out.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I'm liking The Ring more and more as I think about it, which is the polar opposite of my usual reaction to a film.

I liked the "Don't Watch This" approach to deleted scenes. Much more interesting than a list of scenes that play independently of one another. The resulting "short film" may not be coherent or able to stand on its own, but as an imaginative way to presented deleted scenes, it gets an "A" from me.

Loved the ending, especially after being bummed out by the fake happy ending.
And I enjoyed the deleted scene in the video store, too. Sure, it could date the film, but every film is "dated" by the technology it presents. The TV sets date it, too, in my opinion. But being "dated" doesn't mean it's "outmoded," it just puts a date on the film.

I don't think the film was incoherent at all, but you did have to put a number of pieces together yourself. Not that you had to make them up, you just had to make connections that were a bit obscure.

I sure hope they don't go for the virus explanation in sequels. Shade of the chlormidians in The Phantom Menace, which was as boneheaded an idea as has been hatched in recent memory.

My wife hated The Ring but I dug it. To each his own.

Jan

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
:angry: Anyone happen to know of any released DVDs that include the either theatrical trailer for The Ring?

On it being an outdated by scenes in the video store, you will notice that all the televisions in it are 4:3. Do you suppose that if she had a widescreen set she would be able to last 9 or so days? :)

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Yep, I too would love to know if there are any DVD's that have the theatrical trailer. I'm not much of an extras person, but the one time where I actually want to check out the trailer, the disc doesn't have it! :angry:

rick bie

Stunt Coordinator
I saw the Ring last night even after reading Ron's review and was impressed with the whole story. It could have been better but then what movie couldn't? I have a question though, Who is this reviewer from the DVD Talk website analysing the Ring?

"The Ring
Review by Ron J. Epstein | posted February 26, 2003

“Seven days.”
The Feature:
Twice. That is the amount of times I saw “The Ring” in theaters last year. Now, I’m not a big fan of the horror genre, as I find most scary movies to be anything but. Therefore, I was surprised at the impact “The Ring” had on me when I initially left the theater after my first viewing. The whole drive home I kept thinking about what I had just seen, and frankly, I had trouble sleeping that night. For the first time in my life, a horror movie did a good job of scaring me. The ironic twist, you ask? “The Ring” is rated PG-13"
Here is the end of the review
Final Thoughts:
Okay, what have we got? “The Ring” is an awesome movie, quite possibly the scariest movie I have ever seen. Granted, that’s just me; but hey, I’m the one doing the reviewing here. Add to the mix great video/audio, and an incredible menu, and you’d think you’d have a DVDTalk Collector’s Series DVD on your hands, right? Well, unfortunately, the lack of special features (except for the deleted scenes) on this DVD greatly hinders my recommendation. Therefore, if you love “The Ring”, go buy this right now. If you’re waiting for a more complete special edition and hate double-dipping, then hold off on buying this one. Me? I’ll be more than happy to double-dip on this one. “Highly Recommended.”

This is only part of the review, is this another Ron?

Rick
:) :)

richardWI

Second Unit
Oh yeah, and if watching the tape means you will die in exactly 7 days, does that mean you're invincible until then?

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
The daughter had all the glasses of water around the house complaining of "contamination" and at the end her glasses of water created the turning point in the drama.
That was a thematic element, but in no way implied that the kid knew anything; she's was just too lazy to put up all the glasses that she imagined were "contaminated".

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The daughter had all the glasses of water around the house complaining of "contamination" and at the end her glasses of water created the turning point in the drama
The things in Signs are supposed to all relate to fate. It was through everyone's little tick that this stuff happened the way it did. It's not because the kids were psychic.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
You know, when I watched this in theaters, the scene of the horse on the boat, confused me, but now watching it on DVD, it makes me laugh so hard.

I mean, can you imagine horses committing suicide?
Now that's something really hilarious. I'm sorry, but even when my sister watches the movie with me, she can't stop laughing during the scene. I don't blame that black woman for laughing. I don't know why the person who posted about her, found it so upsetting.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Yeah, really hilarious :frowning:

The horse is so disturbed it ends up killing itself in a frenzy as it tries to escape. It's only thought is to get away, not "to committing suicide".

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I also find the scene to be somehow hilarious.
It's not the horse committing suicide, but the shot of the horse where it jumps off the boat and trips at the last second that I find funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks