What's new

HTF REVIEW: "The Producers" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Seth_S

Second Unit
I saw the new restored 35MM print on the big screen tonight, and it looked simply spectacular. The colors, flesh tones and detail level and are so amazing that it looks like a recently photographed film. The only signs of age this print shows are the 1960s clothing and cars. Bravo MGM.

Interestingly, Ron and Peter (DVDFile) had different opinions on the outdoor scenes.

Ron:

Unless something happened during the film to DVD conversion, I have no clue what Peter's talking about. Ron's comments are dead on accurate. The outdoor scenes always looked washed out and too bright in the other prints and various home video versions I've seen. I always figured that the DP just didn't know how to photograph something in natural light. But now, they simply look perfect like the rest of the print.

Interestingly, the sound track was in mono, yet it still sounded quiet good. I suspect that it too was also cleaned up.

The only downside is that we have to wait a month for the DVD.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
The Producers has been buffed and shined, in a remarkable new transfer that will certainly please old-timers like us, as well as winning over a whole new generation of youths who have never seen it before.
Yep, it looks great! :emoji_thumbsup:
A local B&M had this out early. Woo-hoo!
If you live in or around Dayton, Ohio, and are interested, email me and I let you know where you can get it.
;)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
"I lieb ya baby, I lieb ya. Now lieb me alone!"

Classic film. Just a matter of time till its mine.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
That’s exactly why we wanted to produce this play. To show the world the true Hitler, the Hitler we loved, the Hitler we knew—the Hitler with a song in his heart.
Thanks Ron. :emoji_thumbsup:

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
I've been looking forward to this film coming to DVD since the inception of the format and based on this review I won't be disappointed with the transfer. If you haven't seen this film at the very least give it a rent. A true overlooked classic.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Wow; I'd forgotten how hilarious this movie was! "Ah-woohaa-waah-wahh!!!!" :D
Ron's right; this is a very impressive disc. Terrific transfer, great Bouzereau doc, and then some.
If you've never seen the film, it's a great way to be introduced to it. Fans of Mel Brooks' earlier work should love it. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
As many great and quotable lines as this film has, the thing that always kills me are the reaction shots of Mostel and Wilder. Only a film this broad could accomodate that kind of stage acting, but it just works so perfectly in this context.

Regards,

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I just watched this movie for the first time last night.
Funny, funny stuff. :emoji_thumbsup:

AndrewA

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, this is a great effort on MGM, thanks!

I saw this film once and glad to own a copy now. I also got the chance to watch it on broadway when Broderick and Lane were still in the lead roles...well worth the arm, leg and liver I had to sell to get tickets.

Very inspired story line, I guess Mel Brooks is one of the few people who can get away with a script like this. Very cool.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
, as I found the LFE channel rising
to the occasion, emphasizing the musical beats of
the song. It may be worth switching back to the
5.1 mix during this scene just to see what it's like.
Actually, the 5.1 mix RUINS the presentation of Springtime For Hitler. This new mix eliminates the dancing sound effects. When the Germans go into their dance, they just move around to the music--there are no tap dancing sounds.
The mono mix includes the dancing sound effects.
Yet another quality control issue with MGM.
- Steve

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This is an interesting issue.

Not having seen the film in so many years, it
wasn't something I would have noticed.

Dabu H

Auditioning
Wait,so both full-frame and OAR versions are on a single side, single layer? Is that really enough space for the video?
Nvrmind, found out it's a DVD-14. Dual layer on 1 side, single layer on the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks