What's new

HTF REVIEW: "The Others" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Rented this last night and I have to agree ... great movie!

The 5.1 Sound worked very effectively and is a pure example how it should be used effectively. Made me jump quite a few times. If you let yourself be sucked into the movie, it works great.

However, like many on this thread I figured out what was going on half way through the movie. What gave it away for me was the fact that the house looked unused, like nobody relly lived there. Also the fact that Kidmans character was unfamiliar with things in the room she was in with the objects covered with sheets.

Still, this didn't deter from the overall creepiness of the movie. Definetelly recommended!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think the first thing that gave it away for me was the FOG, and the fact that it was always there, no matter what. By the way, how could any sunlight come in if there was fog out all the time? This seemed very odd, and lead me to believe that they were "in their own little world". At first, I thought it was only the children who were "ghosts", but after a while it became clear that Kidman was also.

Admittedly, there is plenty of suspense and build up, but it just didn't surprise me, nor anyone else who watched it with me. We were all creeped out though, moreso than Sixth Sense for certain.

Se7en was graphic in nature, but it was well done, and the sound is quite impressive on the SE release.

StevenW

Second Unit
I just got this DVD and absolutely loved the movie!
I really cant remember being this scared watching a movie, as was I when watching the others :D
The surrounds were awesome and very real to me. At one point in the movie I could have sworn someone was banging on my window outside which scared the holly hell out of me! :D
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: The Others

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I rented The Others last night, and I have a rather bifurcated opinion of the movie.

On the one hand, the cinematography is excellent and the performances are superb (this is what Kidman should have been nominated for instead of Moulin Rouge). On the other hand, I find The Others to be rather tedious and not in the least bit emotionally compelling. The ending is no surprise, and despite the genuinely strong acting, I remained apathetic throughout the movie. No doubt my feelings stem from a writing problem; the movie had poor pacing, lacked substance, and had almost no subtext. The Turn of the Screw it’s not.

DougO

Stunt Coordinator
Just saw it last night -- I'm motivated today to watch again just to see if I should have had so many goosebumps!

The soundtrack worked very well in my room -- I had a presence clearly running around in the floor above me; that nearly gave me heart failure.

I watched this movie alone in total darkness -- this certainly aids in boosting the creepy factor. The ending, whether you saw it coming or not, does not lessen the fantastic chills you'll get during the rest of the movie.

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
there was nothing about the story, acting or directing to warrant a re-viewing.
Of course, it's all about opinion. :) I recently re-watched The Sixth Sense and I have to say I was very impressed. I really like the submersive 'mood' of the entire film. For me though, the stand-out scene, which comes near the end, is when Cole reveals his secret to his mother in the car. Toni Collette's acting in this scene is absolutely superb and heart-breaking. She was great through the whole movie, but this was a stand-out for sure.
In regards to The Others, just watched the DVD and have to say I loved it. Nicole Kidman is unbelievable in how she inhabits this character. Truly stellar. She was robbed at the Oscars, IMHO. :) Combine her acting with the mood of this film, and I have something else I'll be able to watch again and again.
/Jeff

JasonKZ

Stunt Coordinator
anyone else have trouble accessing the Still Gallery. None of my attempts to access it work.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
This is one of those movies I resist watching until the bitter end and then end up loving.

Is it just me, or did Kidman very much resemble a very young Ann Margret in Moulin Rouge, and Grace Kelley in The Others?

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
I'm usually not easily chilled while watching a movie, but this one sent chills up my spine quite a few times...and it had to do with the outstanding sound effects...like when the girl goes to close the curtains in the bedroom and...well...don't want to give it away...those that have seen the movie will surely know the scene I am referring to. That was quite effective and very chill enducing.

Like many others I too became aware of what was going on about halfway through the movie. I will admit that back when I watched The Sixth Sense I was completely caught off guard with the ending (I was fighting dozing off while watching...not because of the movie mind you...just very tired!) and never saw the ending coming. Perhaps that helped me catch on to The Others ending much earlier.

Surprised no one has mentioned the outstanding job the two child actors did in this movie. I thought they did an amazing job.

I really enjoyed the movie, even though I saw the ending coming. Anytime a movie gives me chills like this one did on several occasions...well...the sound was very effective...more so than any recent film I can think of.

John Boutwell

Stunt Coordinator
I highly enjoyed this movie, but I would have loved to have seen some scenes added to the ending sequence that showed the Intruders point of view of some of the scenes throughout the movie; i.e. Nicole in the piano room after hearing the piano playing, Nicole pulling the sheets off of the furniture, and the little girl sitting on the floor.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
I highly enjoyed this movie, but I would have loved to have seen some scenes added to the ending sequence that showed the Intruders point of view of some of the scenes throughout the movie
John,

I think if they did this people would probably not like it as much stating that it was ripping off "The Sixth Sense".

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
I saw The Changeling on TV when I was a kid (maybe 7 or 8) and it was the first movie that ever gave me nightmares.
I recently saw The Changeling on DVD (and I'm much older than 7 or 8 :)) and it still scared the socks off me. The Others, not so much.

John Boutwell

Stunt Coordinator
Brett, well the first thing that came out of my brother's mouth when he walked in during the last scene was "so its like 6th sense, huh?" :) But my idea is just like during the seance, you saw Nicole moving the table then you saw just the table moving, she moved the papers and then the papers were moving by themselves. It just would have been cool at that point to insert the father being scared seeing the piano lid closing and locking, or the family being scared as the sheets started flying off the junk in the junk room. It would have been nice to see their perspective.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
John,

What I am getting at is that the scene you described was taking place at the present time (in regards to the movie) which was fine, but going back and showing "flashbacks" would seem like a rip-off (especially after the explanation is given).

Andy_MT

Second Unit
despite it's flaws, i still think this film is a breath of fresh air compared to the usual slop that's served up to us care of thirteen ghosts, house on haunted hill, i know what you did last summer, valentine etc. the people behind this film at least put in the effort to try and make it scary. i don't know what the intention was on the other films i mentioned.

but come on, collectors edition ? who's the mouse trying to fool ? i wish studios weren't so dishonest. by all means make it a 2 disc set (a + for PQ), but don't label it something that it clearly isn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks