What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The New World (1 Viewer)

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
1) Sara Green, during a press conference in Italy, recently said that the
three-hour version WILL BE released this fall, but on HD-DVD. Nothing was
said about putting out the three-hour cut on regular DVD.

2) Only a few scenes for special effect shots were filmed in 65 mm.

3) The pace of the film was JUST FINE and right in line with Malick's other
films.

4) I don't think we should be attacking the documentary filmmakers for not
giving us an inside look at Malick's working process, since I'm sure they
weren't allowed to film and/or mic Malick for ANY portion of the documentary!
Given his past films home video appearances, I think we should be GLAD at
having at least this one feature and not the usual ZERO from his other films.

I'll be at Best Buy tomorrow morning to pick up the special slip case cover!

Second best film of 2005, in my opinion!

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
One of my top two favorite movies of this decade so far. I'll be double dipping on this one and keeping both versions.

~T

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

I'm not attacking anyone, just hoping for a little more detail on Malick's process. As I said in the review, I loved the movie and the DVD is a great value. Like TTRL, this may grow to be a favorite of mine over the coming years. It took me a few times to really appreciate TTRL.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

YEAH !
I was hoping that my first viewing of the film would be on HD, but for some reason New Line is sitting out the launch (this would have been aperfect launch title, imo) so it should be in from Netflix tomorrow.
If I like it as much as his other films, the Directors Cut in HD will be rabidly anticipated!

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Sara Green, during a press conference in Italy, recently said that the
three-hour version WILL BE released this fall, but on HD-DVD."

Man alive... willpower.....fading...... must... resist.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Got the HD-DVD player, now the hard question. Wait or double dip?

Oh yeah, BTW Chuck; the HD footage of Batman Begins on the Warner HD-DVD trailers looks great. :)

- Walter.

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
Count me in as one who will be waiting for another version to come out. I really liked how the director portrayed the harsh environment.

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
Big problem with the Best Buy cover art...their damn price tag sticker totally
ruined my cover trying to take it off. You've been warned!!!!!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
sorry to hear that patrick.
mine came off without incident.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I was really looking forward to this. The movie didn't stay long around here (???). But I saw the trailers on several other DVD's and got sucked in. Malick isn't known for partcipating (much) in special features, so I wonder if any potential future ones will be total fluff, like so many SE's these days. Really skippable stuff with more film clips than new content. Bite now or wait in hope? Give me a push...

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

As much as I would like to snag this while its relatively cheap, I was a bit disappointed with the transfer. Most of it does look excellant, but after watching the few HD DVDs I have, when a sd transfer flirts with mediocrity you really tend to notice. This film is going to be an absolute must on high def. A shame we'll have to wait till Nov for it though.
But I'm also a bit worried about the extended cut- not the length but the content. The 'America' line that was in the trailers seemed to be absent in the film, and I hope it isn't indicative of the quality of writing that is getting re-inserted.

for anyone that is planning to get the DVD, People magazine supposedly has a $3 off coupon on it good for a short time.

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor
I got to watch this disc yesterday and I really enjoyed it. The DD track is completely immersive and I kept looking around for the birds in the trees. I'm going to have to search out the "The Thin Red Line" DVD with DTS now.

On a side note, I'd be very cautious in making purchase decisions regarding the HD version of the picture. To me, it's a pretty bold statement to say it's coming (specifically) on HD-DVD. By the time the HD version hits this fall, the picture may be clearer (pun intended) regarding both formats.

On another side note, Paul, who is Kris Deering and where is that statement from?

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I couldn't agree more (only I get my HD kicks from DVHS at the moment). This is not a bad transfer, far from it, but to me it has noticable flaws, especially with colour saturation. And I can't help but be disappointed with it.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

I agree completely Pat. The soundfield to this movie really knocked me out. The big bass drums overhead, when Smiths fate is being deliberated over by the chief and his council, were unreal. They were imaging directly over my head and much higher than my barely over 7' high ceilings would allow.
Imo, one of the best surround experiences I've ever had.

and FWIW, when i got TTRL back in '01, there was a little note enclosed in the case that recommended playing the audio louder than normal on a TV display to better replicate the filmmakers intent. It was at that point that I decided to shop for an inexpensive surround system - I was just using the tv speakers at the time, and thought i was perfectly satisfied :D

and the Kris Deering post is from a thread over on AVS. Other people have mentioned the same thing about 1080i/p, but that was the clearest and most concise explanation I'd run across and thought it merited more exposure.

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit
Was there never a discussion thread in the Movies forum for this film?

I've wanted to see The New World since I first saw the teaser way back in December 2004. I finally got the chance today. Truly an astonishingly beautiful film, and one that's ripe for intelligent discussion and interpretation. I'm almost starting to feel bad that I contributed several posts to the M:I III threads. ;)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Bryan,
We had a pretty solid discussion in the Movies thread...almost 5 pages, which is saying a lot for a small film almost no one saw.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks