What's new

HTF REVIEW: "The Majestic" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Blu

Screenwriter
I have never ever been a Jim Carrey fan but I am a Frank Capra fan. This attempt is as close to a Capra film as What lies beneath is a Hitchcock film!
I love this movie!
A wonderful heartfelt movie!
Here's hoping that this ushers in a new discovery of a genre of film that has been gone for years and years!

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
We need more "old fashoined" movies like this. How can anyone complain about movies like this? What, no blood and guts and back stabbing? Not enough cheating, murder, and mayhem for you? Or car crashes (oops...there was a car crash!) and buildings blowing up real good?

We need more movies like this...atleast for a break from the cold, harsh reality of the world we live in today. Being taken back to a simpler time is always a welcome diversion in my book.

Michael Dueppen

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, never really took notice of this movie.
After this review I'll definitely pick this one up.
Sounds like I'll love it to pieces.
Thanks for another great review, Ron.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The Majestic immediately becomes one of my favorite recent movies. I've watched it with a wide variety of people 5 times over the past week and each time it gets better and better. Excellent picture, very nice sound, great story, tremendous performances all around, etc. etc. I consider it one of my nicest discs (and that's saying something since I have quite a sizable collection.)
Nice call, Ron.
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
P.S. I even trotted out my old LD, Hollywood on Trial, which is a nice complement to the movie.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
The wife and I finally got around to watching it. I bought this title solely based on reading Ron's review of it. And as usual he did an excellent job. Like RAF, this will become one of my favorites. It is truly a pleasure to watch. The only thing I disagree with Ron on is:
Cast Filmography - Clicking on each name brings up an extensive list of their resumes.
On mine I could only bring up info on Jim Carrey, non of the other actors. I think two people under Crew listing.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
You know Ron stop with the good reviews already for titles i wasnt planning on buying. My CC isnt happy :)

capt

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
On mine I could only bring up info on Jim Carrey, non of the other actors. I think two people under Crew listing.
That's correct - in typical WB fashion, they list more names than they'll allow you to access. Ron probably just assumed that filmographies existed for all the folks, but WB pretty much NEVER does that...

Danny_Tam

Agent
I guess I'm a bit late here, but I finally had a chance to rent the DVD, and this one's definitely worth getting.
Some parts of the movie are a bit predictable, but it is never overbearing nor does it take away from the overall story. Frank Darabont always has something else up his sleeve to keep the viewer captivated.
I give it a hearty :emoji_thumbsup:

Chris M

Second Unit
Just watched it last night, bought it previously viewed for dirt cheap... anyway, I thought it was a wonderful film, definately not typical Jim Carey.
It did drag a bit... being 2.5 hours.

DEFINATELY worth at least a rent. I'm glad I bought it!

Chris.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
I brought this used here in the forum a month or so ago, and just watched it. It came and gone in a hurry when it was released, but I saw marketing promos, previews and thought it may be worthwhile. Now the reason that I "dig" up this review was I was really stunned by the richness of the transfer and as I do not have a highend system, I want to find out if the transfer holds up under better system and more critical eyes, and I guess it did.
The transfer color is very satuated with a slight warm bias and some of it is richly dark, I think it's a good one to test the capability of one's video.
As for the film, I was disappointed. It's in a very strange way similar to another totally different film, "Heartbreaker", both films have really good performances from all the cast, and they are not "bad" films, but somehow, they were just "fine", given the wonderful performances and the actors involved, I expected more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks