What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (Ext. Ed.) (merged w/"PQ and SQ" thread) (1 Viewer)

ChrisKe

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone managed to get the Gollum statue out of the Gift set box without destroying the box?

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
The extended edition of TTT is wonderful. I actually think that the extended cut of TTT is more successful than the extended cut of FOTR. It’s more successful because everything fits nicely and seamlessly and nothing jumps out.

I had some very few problems with FOTR extended edition because some additions were not done masterfully. I have a major problem with the new opening and all the hobbit jokes at the start of the movie. The theatrical cut opened masterfully and gracefully.

So you can imagine my fear with the TTT EE. I thought we could get some bad cuts like those in FOTR EE but no, everything is masterfully added and no addition bothers me. :emoji_thumbsup:

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Ok, here is the big question, how the hell do you get Smeagol out of the box? the packing material is formed around the statue to make it look a bit like he is standing on one of the river rocks.

The back ground surround is glues to three bolsters, that have notches in the styrofoam "rock", then the bolsters are glued to the box....

I have (carefully) removed the backgrond, and smeagol still refuses to move. My wife is beginning to worry that I am molesting the poor guy, based on the back and forth rocking motions and squeaking

Help!

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Yes, according to the inserts, this statue of Smeagol/Gollum shows the Smeagol personality of Gollum, and a limited edition version of the statue shows the Gollum side....

So, yeah this gollum is Smeagol.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Amazon hasn't even shipped theirs yet.
That's why I never order a big release anymore that I want to watch as soon as possible. You can't trust online retailers to ship in a timely fashion so that you receive it by release day.

Dean_Jonesy

Agent
You guys are getting me excited. I am taking Tuesday off work to buy it and emerse myself in the EE. Question for all those who got the Gift Set. Is it worth it? Is the 5th disc about the making of the Smeagol statue or is there more behind the scenes footage of making gollum/smeagol for the movie?

I there a "Return of the King" trailer lurking in this set? I enjoyed the ROTK featurette on the 2-disc Two Towers, but I was wondering if the new film's theatrical trailer might be buried in an Easter egg, just as the TT trailer was hidden the "Fellowship of the Ring" 4-disc set.

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
i find that hard to believe. alot better??
It has a higher bitrate, so it HAS to be much better, regardless of what it looks like on the screen, right? ;)

I'd love to see some A/B screengrabs comparing EE vs. TE... anyone know of any? (For TTT or FOTR, for that matter.)

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Sam Davatchi said...

I actually think that the extended cut of TTT is more successful than the extended cut of FOTR.... I had some very few problems with FOTR extended edition because some additions were not done masterfully. I have a major problem with the new opening and all the hobbit jokes at the start of the movie.
I definitely agree with you on the opening. For me, the perfect cut of FOTR would retain the original intro, and not contain a superfluous second prologue.

Glad to hear from someone else who doesn't necessarily think that the FOTR:EE is better than the theatrical version, which appears to be the general consensus around here. I like most of the EE additions very much, but for my money, a movie that packs the same dramatic whallop for the average moviegoer (that is, not the average rabid Tolkienite who still can't believe they cut out Tom Bombadil) into less running time is arguably the better movie.

That said, I'm pleased to hear that you think the TTT:EE is a more significant improvement over its predecessor. Although I still like TTT, I feel there is more room for enhancement, and more opportunities to flesh the film out and make it feel more organically connected to its masterful predecessor.

--Jefferson Morris

P.S. Sorta off-topic, but I'm loving the soundtrack snippets from ROTK that have surfaced online. Geek that I am, I assembled them into one 13-minute MP3. I think I already like this soundtrack more that TTT's score (yes, just based on a bunch of 30-second pr**kteases), and I'm hoping my assessment of ROTK the film will be similar. The "Into the West" theme is marvelous and should provide a superb musical background for quite an emotional coda.

Runar_R

Second Unit
I there a "Return of the King" trailer lurking in this set? I enjoyed the ROTK featurette on the 2-disc Two Towers, but I was wondering if the new film's theatrical trailer might be buried in an Easter egg, just as the TT trailer was hidden the "Fellowship of the Ring" 4-disc set.
If there is, I have not been able to find it. Possibly because we already got a sneak at ROTK in the regular version?
What it DOES have, is gollum "thanking" MTV....... :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I can't spell it out for you, but I know of one retailer that ships my dvds before the release date. Case in point, I've already viewed TTT and Once Upon a Time in the West.

Crawdaddy

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I would like to hear some thoughts on TTT, Robert. I vaguely recall that upon the Theatrical release you thought it was an excellent film.

Mine didn't ship early so i'll have to wait until Monday unfortunately, at least i'll have Once Upon a Time in the West in the package as well. :)

Tommy G

Screenwriter

Same here for me. I will cancel if they don't ship by release date and go pick it up myself at either Best Buy or Walmart.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
"I would like to hear some thoughts on TTT, Robert. I vaguely recall that upon the Theatrical release you thought it was an excellent film."

I think the director's cut is better to me than the theatrical release. You're right I think it's an excellent film. Depending on the final installment, I think this film trilogy is the best ever.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks