What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Lion King (TOTALLY RECOMMENDED!!!) (1 Viewer)

AlexBC

Second Unit
ChrisKe,

the R4 Brz edition (NTSC & DTS) that Sergio mentioned is already out.

Edit:
Oops, sorry guess we typed the answer at the same time

ChrisKe

Stunt Coordinator
It all comes clear... I keep forgetting that we share R4 with South America :b

Australia is tentatively scheduled for next March and I think there is rampant importing of this title at the moment from the US and Canada... I know I got mine from R1 :D

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
I might've missed this in the 4 pages, but...

Does Disney force you to sit through endless ads before the "main feature"? Or can you fast-forward/skip through them?

Jesse Blough

Second Unit
Okay great, somebody told me that the new mix is only for the enhanced version. I guess he was wrong.

As for the "visual touch ups", here is an example.

The original version

The enhanced version

As you can see the enhanced version isn't as good as the original. The original seems more realistic while the enhanced is very cartoony and sticks out like a sore thumb. If it's this bad in that scene, who knows how bad it is in other scenes. Yet you can't get the original on the new DVD. So I'm still kind of anxious...

Maybe I'm just being anal, I dunno. :)

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
Okay great, somebody told me that the new mix is only for the enhanced version. I guess he was wrong.

As for the "visual touch ups", here is an example.

The original version

The enhanced version

As you can see the enhanced version isn't as good as the original. The original seems more realistic while the enhanced is very cartoony and sticks out like a sore thumb. If it's this bad in that scene, who knows how bad it is in other scenes. Yet you can't get the original on the new DVD. So I'm still kind of anxious...

Maybe I'm just being anal, I dunno.
Actually, the original crocs and birds look too realistic, especially for the scene they appear in. They're in the 'Just can't wait to be King' musical number. And the animals are overly toony there. So it looks more like they fixed them to not be so glaringly out of place to the rest of the animation. I'm fine with it, it's not like it alters the story. It's not Scar shooting first, or anything. ;)

perrin

Stunt Coordinator
I just got my copy yesterday from Deep Discount DVD, and I watched the Enhanced version. All I can say is WOW!!! To me, the picture and the audio are fantastic.

My only gripe with this release is the extras. I went through the different regions such as Asia, North America, and Africa, etc. It looks like they kept repeating some of the same features for each part of the world. I wished they had a better making of featurette, and it would have been nice if they had interviewed the cast members such as Nathan Lane, Matthew Broderick, and James Earl Jones.

I hope in the future that Disney would do a better job with Aladdin and the other Platinum edition releases. For example, better extras on how they made the films and what the cast members thought about working on these great films.

perrin

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> Do you think folks would be into that--reading reviews for titles that have been out for a while

Yes, especially if the reviews are as well done as the others around here. Not everyone snaps up titles on release day, plus there are always new people just getting into DVD.

That DDD price looks pretty good. Is that the best deal right now?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Jesse,

Thanks for sharing those screen pictures of some of the changes. I think the only changes that look dramatic like that are in that one musical number. Honestly, the rest of the movie looked to my eyes like it has always looked...excecpt for the great color and lack of noise.

I do agree with you that the change in that musical number seems to be more profound that must a mere "animation touch up". Still, don't let that stop you from buying the DVD. Just let it assure you that you want to keep a hold of your laserdisc too...

dave :)

Christopher a

Stunt Coordinator
Just like I thought, I have Edge Enhancement showing up with this title. Although I dont think its the disc, but either my monitor or dvd player as I've been seeing EE on pretty much everything lately...even Matrix Reloaded which people swear by has no EE. Time for some new equipment...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks