What's new

HTF REVIEW: "The Last House On The Left" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

T r o y

Supporting Actor
I was thinking of renting this one from my local Blockbuster but they only have the R version available for rent. Should I wait and try and find the
unrated cut and watch it over the R version? If so, how much difference is there between the two versions?
Thanks
Troy

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Can anyone compare the R version to the Uncut version DVD?

Which one should I watch for the very first time?

T r o y

Supporting Actor
let me chime in real quick before anyone answers my question about the R version vs. Uncut version DVD.

First off, is there not an R rated version on DVD out ?

Is this R version only available on VHS?

If so, then the version my local Blockbuster has , DVD that is, must be the Uncut Version DVD that came out on 8/27.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks
Troy

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
As far as I know the DVD is the uncut version.

Studios have made R cuts for Blockbuster who refuses to carry anything harder than a R films.

Y&ou may want to just pick it up,its only $9 at Circuit City,itll cost you $3 to rent it.
If you dont like it Im sure you can get rid of it on ebay or here at software for sale/trade.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
I've just confirmed with my local blockbuster store that the copy they have for rent is indeed the "unrated/uncut" verion DVD. Thanks for all the helpful replies.
Now it looks like I'll be grossed out this weekend when I go and rent it. I'm headed off to be totally grossed out by watching this flick for the very first time! EeeK!! :eek:
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Just watched this flick last night by myself around 10:30.
And....................all I can say is it's not as graphic, brutal, etc etc that I was expecting. Don't get me wrong, It definately had it's moments of intensity and times where you wanted to look away, and if a film can do that to me, it has done it's job. Actually, after seeing this film and had already seen "I spit on your grave" a couple of years ago, I thought ISOYG to have much more shock value in it's graphic violence dept. and rape scenes.

LHOTL definately cured my curiosity and now that I've seen it, have no desire to watch it again like so many other films of this caliber.

If you are a horror fan of any kind, and haven't seen this one yet, and you're like me and want to satisfy your curiosity, I recommend a rental at least before a purchase.

Later!

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
LHOTL definately cured my curiosity and now that I've seen it, have no desire to watch it again like so many other films of this caliber.
I agree. Though I'd had Last House... hyped up as some unwatchably brutal film for countless years, watching it was a complete letdown. I thought it was excruciatingly dull, and none of the violence inspired any reaction more than a chuckle or shrug. Maybe being inundanted with horror for so many years has completely desensitized me, but I can't imagine anyone being truly shocked or repulsed by Last House... at least nowadays, though maybe thirty years ago... I found the movie dated and boring, as did the handful of other people I suckered into watching it with me.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
My sentiments exactly Adam.
I felt this same way with the movie "Suspiria".
I went into it thinking the worst graphic horror film of all time but came out totally the opposite. Did nothing for me at all.

BarryS

Second Unit
Did you find it as cheesy as I did, Troy? Particularly the dialog and music? That goofy song with the banjo just made me shudder. Interestingly, the guy who plays Krug in the movie, David Hess, did the music also. Strange... Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of cheesy horror movies. I've seen my share. I found Last House on the Left disappointing though.

SPOILERS HERE!

At the end, where the father goes after Krug with the chainsaw I was expecting to see guts and limbs a-flying. Then when it was over, my reaction was "That's all????". He was just laying on the floor covered in blood. Maybe it's all they could do on such a low budget, but I expected at least the same gore on the level of Evil Dead. The intestine scene was the only one that came anywhere near close. Perhaps the difference is subtextual. The violence in Evil Dead is self-defense towards demon possessed people. In LHOTL, it's toward an innocent girl whose only "sin" was smoking pot. So I can understand that. I was a bit disturbed after watching the movie, though. Not near as much as after watching Pink Flamingos for the first time, however.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
The Evil Dead is very comic-book-esque with it's violence. It doesn't look real, but it sure is fun. LHOTL's violence is very real. The most powerful moment in the film for me is when one of the girls (for the life of me, I can't remember her name) walks into the pond after being raped, and is shot dead. Very tragically powerful, IMO.

But hey...like I said earlier in this thread, the movie isn't for everyone...and you definitely shouldn't watch it expecting The Evil Dead.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Barry,
Yeah I was expecting a whole lot more out of that chainsaw scene towards the end. just about every graphic scene that was in the movie was a disappointment. I guess because I was thinking the worst out of it after reading reviews and opinions of the film. Yes I did think it was cheesy too. And that music ... what else is there to say?
:thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks