What's new

HTF REVIEW: "The Fast and the Furious" (next reference disc) *REPOST* (1 Viewer)

JaleelK

Second Unit
Fun movie, neat cars and some hotties. Must agree that Paul Walker isn't very good in this flick while Vin Diesel has great screen prescence.>>

I agree that this was a fun movie, with great visuals and great sound. I disagree about Walker, I think he was casted well in the role he played, he did a good job in the movie.The movie was directed well and I don't agree with those who say its mindless, if you understand the streets, its not mindless at all.

Tino D'Voe

Agent
I wish I had enjoyed this film, but no matter how hard I tried, I found it to be crap. I was hoping that the racing scenes would be shot a realistic way, like back when big stunt scene, like car racing, made the audience believe they were there. Through the manipulation of camera angles, shutter angles and frame speeds, an illusion would have been created where the car is racing along at extraordinary speeds. As opposed to throwing in some silly ass computer animation and visual effects. To me, it's not an adrenaline rush when I feel like I'm watching a cartoon. I never knew who vin deisel was before, and I wish I never found out. His acting is not up to par for what he's been hyped up to be. I may sound a little too harsh on this film, but I'm actually refraining from mentioning exactly what I feel. Overall, I find myself mostly pissed at the studios and how they're gradually allowing the qualities of films slip lower and lower every year. Instead of concentrating on creating a story, they're focusing on computer rendered effects and big name actors to fill the space. Just my 2 c's.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I bought this sight unseen (something I never usually do) based on the reviews which reminded me of the reviews written for Vertical Limit. I did not relly like The Fast And The Furious because it did not provide me with much of an adrenaline rush like Vertical Limit did and did not engage me in the film. Plotwise I had major problem with officer O'Conner and his decision at the end, plus various other things. There are many other movies I have seen with unbelieveable plot points yet if the movie is entertaining enough (to me) I am willing to forget that and leave my brain at the door. I couldn't do so for this movie.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I went to see The Fast & The Furious six times while it was in theatres, and have watched it at least that many times since purchasing it on the 2nd. While it may not be "technically" accurate, and the acting may be debatable (I thought it was cast and acted very well), this movie still managed to make it into my top 5 favorite movies. Why? Because it's a fun movie for me to watch. Plain and simple. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Ryan_C

Second Unit
I finally put this in my system last night, and all I can say is
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

I now know why this is a reference quality sound disc, and I don't even have a sub!
BTW, did anyone else think the center channel was a little low, or were the other four channels just REALLY loud?

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit
Way too much reliance on NOS for the racing. The gearheads do a LOT more than just put a cute blue tube in the trunk.

Otherwise, crappy movie, great audio, fun race scenes destroyed by the reliance on NOS.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I got this for $7.50 PVD at Blockbuster today :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:, now, I saw this movie the other day at my friend's house on his 2 channel stereo and it sounded great... I put this disc in my bedroom HT, put it on the first racing scene and...
wow! This must be the finest reference disc I have ever heard, I would rank it up there with Episode I, Fight Club, and U571 (my hall of fame of 5.1)...plus, for mindless action, this movie is pretty darn entertaining... I would highly recommend it to anyone :D

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I have to totally agree with alot of you. 1st, I very much enjoyed this movie at the Theatre. Very, very entertaining. Totally mindless turn off your brain flick but aren't alot of action flicks like that? I saw it 3 times there. It was my favorite movie of the summer. I have watched the dvd twice now. It is amazing! I can't beleive how good it sounds and looks. I know people throw reference around alot. It seems every dvd coming out these day's is of reference quality. But this really is reference quality. I am running a 7.1 system now and my surrounds and rears were very active during most the movie. It was an amazing enveloping experience. This really is up on my list of demo dvd's. This was one of the very few dvd's that I actually watched the extra stuff and even that was very enjoyable.

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
Utter crap movie, it even insulted me with my brain switched off, but I can't deny the quality of the sound.

The sound and transfer kept me watching, reference indeed!!!

I can see this disc being traded off in a few days...

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
Saw it twice in theaters, consider myself a motorhead, hated the cars and how they represent these kids able to drop $50-60,000 into their cars but still enjoyed the movie.

Got it home, plopped it into the system and found a new reference disc.

Tiffany A

Stunt Coordinator
After all the rave comments on this DVD, I bought it instead of renting. Big mistake for me...I found it to drag on and on. The music was great, but so what? (Already have the CD's)

Different strokes for different folks...or so they say...

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Man, did I see the same movie that everyone else saw???? What crap. I do agree the DTS soundtrack was top-notch. Don't get me wrong, I agree that mindless entertainment is great every once in a while, but this just goes beyond that. For great mindless entertainment, check out 'The Glass House'.

And what's up with that quarter mile in the final scene??? Was that not the longest quarter mile in the history of movies?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks