What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "The crime of Padre Amaro" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
just finished renting this film.
Thought it was very good. but not four star quality.
I really liked the ending, very satisifed with that.

However, I did want to see a little bit more of the mentally challenged girl and the witch woman(one who was stealing from church tin & collecting the waffers for her cats)

This is a definte purchase!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Using my Panasonic RP-91, I also was able to see the subtitles for the commentary track. I put the DVD in 2x fast forward mode and got through with the commentary track in under an hour. :) That is one advantage of a subtitled commentary track.

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Ok, call me late, but dont call me late for dinner :)

Just watched this DVD and i was sooo loving it, in fact, i think its a great movie. Im happy for Mexico for getting another good one out for all to enjoy.

My gripe, and what really got me upset about the story...,

...was that when Padre Amaro suggested the girl (Amelia) give up her baby for adoption she basically recoiled in anger saying that she would never give up her child. Later she said that she would do "anything" for her baby, even marry someone she didnt love (her ex boyfriend). So why the hell did she agree to Padre Amaro's "idea" about getting an abortion?

Was it just me or was there something totally wrong there?
I thought there was gonna be some twist to the story and i was hoping that it wasnt going where it ended up.

I was so dissapointed in the story at that moment. Not that it wasnt a good movie, but that turn in the story kinda left a bad taste in my mouth.

:frowning:

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Miguel M Santos
I think the problem concerns how the novel was adapted to the screen.

In the book Amelia dies having the baby. But before she considered marrying the guy. Can't remember why though. The priest's crime is not sending her to having an abortion, but actually sending the baby to a woman who has a reputation to kill the babies she takes care of.

My guess is that is a remain of the plot in the novel, which to me is far better and it has some humour lacking in the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks