What's new

HTF REVIEW: "The Color Purple" Special Edition (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Where to begin...This is definitely one of my favorite movies, I can watch it over and over again. It came on cable the other day and going against my own rules, I watched it on tv (p & s). And without fail, crying like a baby. To hear that some people have never seen this movie boggles my mind and makes my jaw drop.

Every time I think about it I get a higher respect for Steven Spielberg for making this movie when he did. To make a black film back then was not very popular. When it comes to movies he can do no wrong IMO. And what the academy did is no surprise. I've never watched the Oscar's again till just recently when Halle and Denzel won (which was suspect).

I can't wait till the 14th, counting the days.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
The Color Purple is one of my all-time favorites. When I bought my first DVD player I almost made the mistake of buying the previous flipper release of TCP. I decided to wait and, though it took a while, it looks like waiting paid off!

Easily, one of my most eagerly awaited DVDs! And, in my opinion, one of Speilberg's best!

Mark

DarrylWHarrisJr

Stunt Coordinator
This is one of the most beautiful transfers on films I have seen in a long time. I hadn't watch it in years. It was like watching a brand new film (I literally forgot what this was about but I knew I liked it). Highly underrated film (but I have my own theories about that)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I seriously disagree here. I hate digipaks! It is bad enough that WB puts single DVDs in snappers, the least they can do IMHO is give these 2-disc Special Editions a release in keepcases. I guess I'll just have to design my own cover & throw the digipak in the garbage where it rightfully belongs.
Well, they're trying to be a little creative with their packaging. A keep case has the insert and the cover. That's it. Gatefolds have art all over the case.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Well, they're trying to be a little creative with their packaging. A keep case has the insert and the cover. That's it. Gatefolds have art all over the case
Well the art can be placed in a booklet. I still have a problem with WB's packaging. I wonder if they're in bed with the company that makes digipaks just like they are with the company that does snappers.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Oh, please, PLEASE, let's all go fighting, whining, bitching and quarreling about the wrapping of the disc over three pages of this thread! Brilliant. Literate. Sophisticated even!

And Ron, thanks for the review. Ordered!

Cees

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Brilliant. Literate. Sophisticated even
I completely agree about the content of the film. Of course the Studios could solve the problem of people like me & some others who have concerns about packaging by simply selling DVDs in the cheapest packaging of all-a paper sleeve. It would sure save them a lot of $$$$. :)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Robert,

Cees, didn't you know it's the packaging and not the content that's important..
You mean just -- like -- a -- woman?
(quote slightly modified :) ).
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

OK folks, here's a thought.

I own, I don't know exactly how many, books. More than 5000 for sure. The ones I read after I became 15 yrs. of age all look as if untouched, even the many paperback versions.

(When I was a student, one of my friends, visiting my room, once asked "Why do you have so many books, if you don't read them?". Only a few days later I realized what he meant: they looked untouched. Of course they had all been read (by me, I don't lend out anymore)).

And you know what? They're ALL made of paper and cardboard! None of plastic, not even the protective wrapping. And all are read more than once, some more than 50 times. Only my children have had an occasional plastic book. Perhaps 2 or 3 in total.

Note that books are typically handled a lot to be able to use them, unlike the way a DVD must be handled.

Also, most of those books do not have the same dimensions. Of course some series do, and also some brands of paperbacks (over a specific period of time), but the great majority is mutually different. Do you think my library looks like a mess? You can bet it doesn't!

Did I ever in my life complain about the fact that the dimensions of the books varied and they weren't made of something sturdy, something that wouldn't bend or tear? Never. Nor did any of my friends, acquaintances and/or colleagues who happen to own many books too. Even those who are not as anal as I am about their collections.

(I know some people working in Archives and Historical Libraries, who wish books had been written on different material - just like the guardians of film-vaults - but that all is another story.)

Of course, the way a book is illustrated, the looks of the cover, the artwork often play an important part in your judgement of the publication. Of the whole book. Sometimes you really wished a book had been published in a better form.
But demand plastic?

Cees

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Did anyone happen to notice a minor glitch on this disc at the beginning of chapter 20?

As the camera pans up towards Shug's face, it almost looks as though the film is jumping a few frames. But, it's not the source materials for sure as the jumping happens a little differently each time I play it and sometimes doesn't happen at all.

This is the second copy I've had and both did the same thing.

Might be my player I suppose, but I thought I'd ask.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
Finally got a chance to watch this set. I must first of all say that I really liked the documentaries and featurettes! They were very thorough and amazingly after all these years they were able to interview all the main cast and the central crewmembers involved in the making! I just thought that it was magnificient the special features this disc has!

I liked he picture (mostly)! 98% of the time it was perfect and surprisingly more colorful than I had remembered it being! The only bad points were the heavy grain that could be noticed in certain scenes! The 5.1 wasn't anything special but it did it's job!

Impressive effort all the way around!!

David

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Rain, I checked the scene for you and it does not jump or jerk on my copy and or player. It plays normal.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
As the camera pans up towards Shug's face, it almost looks as though the film is jumping a few frames. But, it's not the source materials for sure as the jumping happens a little differently each time I play it and sometimes doesn't happen at all.
What player are you using?

It was discovered some time ago on some Toshiba and Onkyo players that the "blacker than black" setting on the player needed to be turned off. If left on, it could cause problems like you described on some DVDs. I guess this also might be true for other brands as well.

The blacker than black setting is only used when adjusting black level and is not needed during normal play.

My Tosh SD6200 did strange things on the Color Purple title until I turn the blacker than black setting to off. Now it plays fine.

Of course it could also be just a bad disc.

Hope this helped.

JimmyK

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Thanks, guys.

I thought it was probably a player issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks