What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: The Bourne Supremacy (Highly Recommended!) (1 Viewer)

Skyler

Stunt Coordinator
It's a must buy for me. I have the Bourne Identity CE, and it's an excellent DVD. I bought it as soon as I saw the specs for the "explosive edition (no DTS). I highly doubdt there will be DTS on the SE. On another note, I am so sick of the Bond & Mission Impossible franchise. Bourne is so much more realistic and cerebral. Bond is all one liners, explosions, and shameless product placement. Enough about Bond & MI, Bourne is a must buy.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Very strange that there's no dts for this title. Rest assured, there will be another release...just prior to the Bourne Ultimatum release in theaters. The dts track on Bourne Identity is stellar.

The shaky camera wasn't an issue for me in this film. In fact, I barely noticed it. Not nearly as distracting as it was for the mtv style Man on Fire. I did sit about 3/4 back in the theater and perhaps this will be more bothersome at home?

Regardless, I'm all over this one. The Bourne series is head and shoulders over the recent Bond films too.

BTW, great review Jason!

Gavin_L

Second Unit
Think I'll be picking this movie up, it looks fun, and sounds like the dvd could be some fun

Jim-M

Second Unit

That bodes well for me. I only saw Man on Fire at home and the camera work didn't really bother me. Maybe Bourne Supremacy at home will be less distracting than on the big screen.

Dan Kaplan

Stunt Coordinator
I was going to ask that exact question... I barely made it through Man on Fire (front projection) and could not possibly watch it a 2nd time due to the camera work. If Bourne Supremacy is anywhere near that level of atrocity, I'll have to rethink my plan to make it a blind purchase.

Is there a consensus on how Supremacy's camera work compares to Man on Fire?

Dan

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I have Man on Fire sitting in my DVD shelf, but haven't had time to watch it yet. I did see Bourne Supremacy theatrically, though, and I honestly thought I might have to get up and leave a few times during the film. I heard that some people actually threw up in the theaters because the shaky camera work made them so nauseous. I'm just wondering what it will be like watching the DVD at home. I'm going to rent this one instead of buying just to see if I can sit through it a second time around.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Hey Dan,
My memory may not be working properly as I really didn't notice it much for BSupremacy . Then again, that film was far more effective to me than Man On Fire . Things stick out more when the film doesn't work as well.

Brent says people were hurling though so my advice is to just rent it first and make sure.

I'm definitely buying this. Maybe I'll notice it more at home, but this film is too good to miss.

Hope it works out for you. The car chase sequence alone is worth the price of the dvd. :)

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
I was one of those one's that was affected by the jerky
camera motion. I had to get up from my seat and walk to the
back of the theatre during one point in the movie because
I was feeling so nauseous.
I'll be interested to know how this movie looks on a tv screen because if I get the same feeling that I had in the
theatre I won't be buying this.

Dan Kaplan

Stunt Coordinator
Brent, Tim, and Pat, thank you very much for the replies. I'll definitely be starting with a rental, in that case. Sorry, Universal.

(For further comparison's sake, I'm one who routinely closes my eyes or looks away during TV commercials and promos, which are more akin to strobe lights these days. Any movie following that formula isn't one I'm going to enjoy.)

Dan

Daniel Windsor

Stunt Coordinator
Pretty good DVD.

I was very disappointed with the film though. Plot holes aplenty, messy camerawork (and I don't just mean the so-called 'style') and editing.

I just didn't buy the story.

Very little bang for my buck.

Allan^L

Stunt Coordinator
I loved this movie and it's going to be very hard for me not to buy this edition but I'll try. A second version is inevitable just before the release of The Bourne Ultimatum.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
Hi all, this is my first post on the forum...

I actually liked Supremacy a lot more than Identity. Usually the combination of "shaky cam" and rapid edits in action films annoys me, but in the case of Supremacy I actually thought the style, or rather the skill with which it was implemented, worked really well and heightened the intensity of the film far beyond the levels triggered in the first film. In fact, this was one of the few thrillers in recent years that kept my attention rapt throughout without pausing to question plausibility or cringe at plot contrivances, though the script was indeed full of them.

This will certainly be going on my Christmas list.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Welcome to the forum Kyle. :) I hope you find the HTF a place for great info, great insight into HT gear, and a place that's fun to hang out. Glad you're here.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
The "shaky cam" bothered me just a little bit here and there (where I thought it was just a bit overused), but hey - I'm not the director. Overall, a damn good spy-type thriller. Flick boasts one of the BEST car chases...maybe ever.

I'll take Jason Bourne over the farce that's recently been passing for James Bond any day. (I'm a huge fan of the 007 series, but the last few have been just atrocious. Needless to say: IMO.)

What's the next book in the series? The Bourne Capillary? Sign me up.

Marc Bax

Second Unit
Just thought it's worth a mention here. You get this disc free (printable coupon) if you sign up for a month of Blockbuster's online rental service ($17.49). Seems like a pretty good deal. Here's the link.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
IGN just posted there review of the title. They gave the Film, Video, Aduio and Extras a 5, 5, 7, and 6 respectively. I find this a very difficult to believe since this was a big box office success, was one of the years best action films, and further cemented the Bourne franchise. Then again, IGNs reviews of late have been very biased and weak in terms of how they review and rate there titles, but I think this has been covered so far. All other reviews I have read of this title say the Video and Audio are great, and the film is beter than the first.

Does anyone else have any comments or thoughts on this?

AndrewW

Stunt Coordinator
Getting sick over camera work? What a bunch of wusses. j/k. Can't wait for this DVD.

Matt Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
If anything, after I saw Bourne Supremacy opening night, it made me stop complaining about the "shaky-cam" Crematoria fight in The Chronicles of Riddick ;) That said, I enjoyed the film quite a bit more than Identity.

Bring on The Bourne Ultimatum.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks