DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Teacher's Pet

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Scott Kimball, Apr 18, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

[​IMG]
    Teacher's Pet

Studio: Paramount

Year: 1958

Rated: NR

Length: 119 Minutes

Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1, Anamorphic

Audio: Dolby Digital English Mono

English Subtitles

Closed Captioned

Special Features: None

S.R.P..: $14.99, USD

Release Date: April 19, 2005

Teacher’s Pet stars Clark Gable (in a fine late-career performance) as Jim Gannon. He’s a self-educated, school-of-hard-knocks newspaper editor who despises “egghead” journalists - those who have earned knowledge through higher education rather than through real world experience.

Ordered to speak to a journalism class, Gannon finds himself attracted to the lovely professor Erica Stone (Doris Day, as delightful as ever). Having sent, in advance, a scathing letter on egghead journalism which is read to the class by Stone, Gannon takes on the role of student to save face, and to see what this college education is all about. While hiding his true identity, Gannon trades barbs with his attractive professor, while distancing himself from the man he really is.

Along for the ride is Gig Young, in a wonderful Oscar nominated role as the ultimate egghead, Dr. Hugo Pine - a man who knows everything, and has written the books to prove it.

This George Seaton film was penned by Fay and Michael Kanin, who were nominated for an Oscar for their work.

This is a truly wonderful film. Though a bit dated, it features a wonderful story with some great laughs, and fine performances all around.

Video

Presented in black and white, in its original 1.85:1 aspect ratio, the DVD features excellent sharpness and detail. Contrast is also excellent, with solid black levels, and preserved detail in both shadow and highlight.

Occasional specks mar the print - to be expected with a film of this age. They are not present to the point of distraction. There is a slight variable density flicker, from the print emulsion, which is also not to the point of distraction. Ever so slight ringing is occasionally visible at high contrast borders.

This transfer is very good, overall - especially for its age.

Sound
    The DVD features a very good mono soundtrack.
    Good frequency response is reproduced, with clear dialog. It is a competent reproduction of the source.

Special Features
    None.

Final Thoughts
    An excellent film and an excellent transfer at an excellent price allows me to forgive the bare-bones treatment.

Recommended.

2. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

A long time favored comedy that I have on order. I'll be able to retire the LD when this arrives. [​IMG]

3. ArthurMy

ArthurMy Supporting Actor

I've had it for a few weeks (I think I posted about it somewhere) - GREAT transfer, and the film was, for me, surprisingly charming. I don't see these "specks" or "ringing" or whatever, but then, I'm not looking for them. Some of these Paramount black-and-whites are just breathtaking in their detail.

4. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    As with others during this era, all photographed in large format VistaVision.

RAH

5. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

The classic moment comes when Gable kisses Day unexpectedly.
    She scolds, "MR GALLAGER!!!"
    but later staggers around her office, with weakened knees.

Dont read my description.
    GET THE MOVIE! [​IMG]

6. William Miller

William Miller Stunt Coordinator

I think the flickering is more than slight and to me it is an extremely annoying distraction. It is almost constant throughout the film and it greatly takes away from a transfer that would have been one of the all time best black & white DVD's.

On the plus side, the audio is very excellent. It has everything that the Li'l Abner soundtrack is missing.

7. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland

Boy is it ever. I was shocked at how rich the sound was on this.