What's new

HTF REVIEW: Swordfish - guilty pleasure DVD at its best! (1 Viewer)

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I think it's unfair to compair any movie to one of the many lame films starring Steven "I'm a Buddist-monk priest Indian Chief turned CIA agent ex-assassin 'I'm just a cook' gurrilla Navy seal special forces guy" Segal. The reason being is because all of Segal's films are just... lame. Even a lame movie is better than a Segal movie.
By the way, I liked Swordfish. I posted another thread about it a while ago.
For my thoughts on this movie, here it is: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/008063.html
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed

David Ely

Supporting Actor
Okay ... I picked up Swordfish this morning. If I don't like it, I have you guys to blame
wink.gif

For the person who commented on the password Swordfish popping up in multiple flims, my guess is that it's an obscure reference to the Marx Brothers film Horsefeathers where the password to get into the speakeasy is...well, you get the idea. Considering that there's lots of dialogue about movies anyway in Swordfish, I'm surprised it's never mentioned.
Anyway, I haven't seen the disc but thought it was pretty decent fun when I saw it in the theater.

Brian_J

Second Unit
Just wanted to post my impressions so here it goes. As a film, this movie is not great but it is interesting and fun to watch. Unlike Ron, I believe you could have replaced Travolta with many other actors and it would have been about the same. He really gives the same performance here as he did in Broken Arrow or even Face Off. His best performance to me was in Get Shorty (a much under-hyped film). Nevertheless, he is serviceable but nothing to write home about. The film has plot holes like you'd expect and is often over the top...like you'd expect. Go in with the right frame of mind and you will be entertained.
As a DVD, however, this film is nothing short of spectacular! The audio is very strong but the video is truly breathtaking. Very 3-d to the point that you can see every flaw in each character's face. I wish my other DVD's looked this good. Hats off to the studio!
Brian
------------------
Zed's Dead Baby...

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I watched this disc last night, and I ended up playing with the freeze frame and slow-mo for like 10 minutes...
...on the explosion scene, you pervert!
laugh.gif

SteveBjr

Stunt Coordinator
I agree i really enjoyed this movie. Lots of action, few plot twists, and nudity! Ya can't go wrong
biggrin.gif

Anyone know how to access the Easter Eggs on this? There is supposedly an interview with Halle Berry about going topless in the movie.
------------------
Steve,
DVD Collection

Craig Chatterton

Stunt Coordinator
I seem to recall reading somewhere that this DVD WILL NOT be available for RENTAL
Well, that didn't stop Hollywood Video because that's where we rented it. It's great movie, well worth the rental fee. I almost wish I'd seen it in the theaters. Now I have to decide if I should buy it. Hmmm, back to Chapter 12 for some convincing.
------------------
Virgo: All Virgo's are extremely friendly and intelligent, except for you. Expect a big surprise today, when you wind up with your head impaled upon a stick.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Yet another good reason to see movies at home on your HT set-up, you can always pause and analyze the scene unlinke a movie theater
biggrin.gif
I know I'll be analyzing alot on Swordfish, one scene in particular
biggrin.gif

------------------
-Keith-
My DVD's

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I loved this movie,for pretty much the same reasons as Ron did.
Oh and lets not forget that Halle's tits were real,which is rear comodity these days!
wink.gif

------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't seen this movie at the theater, but Iv'e heard good things about it, so I'm going to pick it up and check it out for the sake of Halle.
------------------
The only dumb question is the one you never ask....

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I just picked up this movie at best buy for $16.99. I like most of Travolta's work and after seeing the "making of" on HBO, I know this is a fun movie.
------------------
------ Dave ------
------------------
Link Removed

Rob_J

Stunt Coordinator
I rented this last night, even though all my friends told me not to see it. I didn't mind it though. Good action, the techno babble seemed a little contrived, but the characters were interesting.
As for Hally's infamous shot, I thougt it was a little cheesy (like "why is she holding that book like that?"). Not that I minded it though :)
I liked the originality of the whole bus scene too. Overall it was alright, not as bad as I was expecting. I thought the DVD lacked some bonus material though. I really would have liked to see how they did the opening explosion scene. That was probably one of the best parts of the movie!
icon14.gif

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I watched this last night. I rented it via Netflix.
I really enjoyed this movie! A lot of fun, good action, just overall great entertainment! Much better than a lot of recent action movies.
The transfer is fabulous! I will be purchasing this disc!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Rob-
That wasn't a book Halle was holding, it was a sun reflector (for getting an even tan). Not that I was noticing any inanimate objects in that scene!
Also, the opening explosion scene was definitely discussed in one of the bonus features- I'm pretty sure it was the 15-minute HBO First Look feature (the actual effects featurette just concentrated on the bus scene). IIRC the shot was a composite of a bunch of different individual setups.
Overall, I thought the movie was pretty decent, although not great. The opening scene was definitely a highlight, script-wise. The director's commentary is very much worth listening to- hardly any dead space and a lot of interesting info on the production. He even mentions that this movie is better than his previous effort, Gone In 60 Seconds (which he admits didn't have much of a plot), which it is by a loooooong shot.
wink.gif

[Edited last by Aaron Silverman on November 15, 2001 at 01:14 AM]

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Saw it for the first time last night when the family was in bed. Even though I had the sound turned down the movie rocked. Great use of my subs.
Pissed I didn't buy it at BestBuy when it was only $16.99
Fun, fun movie!
JohnG:)

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Bumping this ancient thread to post my comments on my recent viewing of Swordfish on Blu. Note I know this thread is for the DVD release. But, since I couldn't find a Blu review of the film on this site, I just wanted to add to this great thread - instead of creating a new one. Mods, I hope this is OK:

This is only my second time seeing the movie. The only other time I've seen this film was theatrically, back in June/July 2001. The terrorism storyline was especially disturbing, given what happened IRL several months later.

This is an extremely well-done thriller, and I was extremely impressed by the Blu's PQ - especially given that this is older release - Wow. This was extremely sharp, with very vivid colors. I also like the way this film was shot, i.e. with the intentionally harsh lighting & the green/teal in many scenes - I know that "look" is not for everyone, but I felt it really fit the tone/vibe of this movie.

1) Also really dug the opening sequence with the intentionally distorted WB & Village Roadshow logos. Also liked the intentional distortion in the John Travolta monologue - in the beginning.

2) Great action sequences, especially the bus/helicopter scene towards the end.

3)And, the movie had an amazing techno soundtrack - great stuff here.

4) Fantastic cast, including the great Drea De Matto (The Sopranos) who played Stanley's (Jackman's) ex.

When I initially saw the film, I hadn't become the film aficionado that I am now. So, this time around I appreciated the film more - due to understanding the Dog Day Afternoon and Sugarland Express (two great '70's films) references.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks