What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Surviving Christmas (1 Viewer)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Three times is a lot for some movies released this year. I think my expectations were low because there have been countless films released this year (STARSY AND HUTCH, TEAM AMERICA, JERSEY GIRL) that I honestly did not laugh once watching.

But, there were a few moments in this one that made it watchable.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
This was simply a terrible movie.

Cliched and very unfunny. Easily one of the worst of the year.

A friend lent it to me, and now I'm not sure I can call him a friend anymore. :D

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
Wow, I just saw this in the theater (not by choice, I had to review the damn thing). I couldn't believe when I saw it in the store yesterday. I don't even think I saw an announcement for it.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Beau

Was the movie really that bad:thumbsdown:?

On many threads, when a movie with a "dysfunctional" theme is discussed, and it takes place around "The Holidays", I notice many people becoming seriously adamant how they're turned off by it.

A protective mechanism that's triggered, to save perfect, perceived childhood memories and values?

Fear that depression and anxiety, manifesting itself around the "Holidays", even when shown in a humorous light, could be too much?

Or am I full of it?:b

Paul

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Paul, in my particular case, my dislike for this movie comes from the fact it was badly written and poorly executed. It's not the subject matter. For example, "Christmas Vacation" features a dysfunctional family and I think it's one of the funniest movies ever made.

I went into "Surviving Christmas" with high hopes. Catharine O'Hara is one of my all time favorite commediannes. James Gandolfini is a great actor. I'm a fan of Christina Applegate's work. Bill Macy is a distinguished character actor. Even discounting Affleck, who I don't care for one way or another, this movie had all the ingredients to make a great comedy.

Instead we got a movie that that should be permanently transferred to flammable nitrate stock.

Steve

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand

Thanks Steve.;)

Agreed. "Surviving Christmas" won't win any writer achievement awards, or any other kind that I can think of, but I still think of it as being a professionally made movie vs. one made in the amateur realm and as some of the other people here felt, there are parts of the movie that made me laugh, and that is what was important to me. There aren't a lot of films made today that do that.

You are with a lot of company here that say "we got a movie that should be permanently transferred to flammable nitrate stock." Michael Elliott (the reviewer) said "this one here is an insult to anyone watching it so hopefully, for the sake of its actors, everyone will just let this turkey die so that no one else has to go through the torture." It's hard for me to understand where this is coming from, after enjoying the movie.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks