What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Sunrise" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, it's late, I'm tired.
What's the the link for 20th Century Fox.
I've seen Sunrise, it's a fascinating movie.
Along with Greed,mesmerizing.
Thanx.

Scott David

Stunt Coordinator
Do receipts work for buying the 3 discs on-line as well?
I'm not sure this question was answered. I just placed an online order for "Ghost and Mrs. Muir", "The Day the Earth Stood Still", and "All About Eve", assuming that Fox will also honor online purchases in order to get "Sunrise"...

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure this question was answered. I just placed an online order for "Ghost and Mrs. Muir", "The Day the Earth Stood Still", and "All About Eve", assuming that Fox will also honor online purchases in order to get "Sunrise"...
Fox darn well better honor them. I purchased two of the 3 required DVDs from DVD Empire & enclosed their receipts that were shipped with the DVDs that I bought from them. The 3rd DVD was bought at Best Buy. Plus Fox has already cashed my $2.50 check.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I bought the first three discs online (DVD Empire), sent in my stuff in late January, and have been enjoying my Sunrise DVD for several weeks now. So yes, discs bought online are indeed honored for this offer.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I got my Sunrise DVD today. I had purchased the first three films in the series from bestbuy.com and didn't have any problem getting the Sunrise DVD.

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
"Sunrise" is definitely a film that is great. And like the silent film version of "Ben-Hur", it is great, grand, and definitely one of a kind.

Believe it or not, the only reason "Sunrise" is in my collection is because somebody who sent away for it must have not been satisfied with the disc, so they took it to the video department of the record store and put it up for a used DVD. This past Sunday was remarkable. Browsing through the used DVDs (and passing it a couple of times), I saw "Sunrise" for sale. I couldn't believe my eyes, and when I pulled it out, the price tag was only $10.99. I was so excited that I had to buy it.

If you're still following me, let me just say that I got so lucky. I didn't have to buy the other three DVDs and send in their proofs of purchases. It might be cheating, but the only reason why I am posting this is so you guys keep your eyes open for used DVDs because wherever they may be sold, there is that one in a million chance that you will find it there. Or maybe ebay for that matter.

Before I go, I should comment on the DVD. It is fabulous, and for the picture quality, it is fine, but for some reason (knowing the aspect ratio of 1.20:1), the picture fits my whole screen, but then again, it may be the size of my TV, but I was greatly impressed with the picture. As I was with the sound quality. For a old film, the original mono soundtrack sounds great, grand, and frightening at the same time. The special features are first-rate. John Bailey gives a wonderful commentary on the picture, and the theatrical trailer, while definitely silent, is fabulous and in great condition.

I wish I could say that I explored everything, but for me, high school has turned into overkill for me this week, and as a result, I haven't checked out anything else. Well, with the exception of the "Restoration Notes." But so far, I'm impressed with the package that has been produced for this film. It's great and well worth the proofs of purchases.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
BrianP said on page 2
Do receipts work for buying the 3 discs on-line as well?
In case anyone was still worried.

My check was cashed on 3-18. Still haven't got mine (not worried, just saying). I was wondering if anyone else had an idea about the "check cashed to day received" turn around they had? I've seen some posts about when they mailed their stuff in, but not in regards to when Fox cashed the check. I'm writing a paper on the film this semester and was hoping to get my copy in within another week to 10 days.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Seth, I'm pretty sure my "check cashed to day received" turnaround was in the 2-3 week range. I'd expect you'd be getting it any day.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I always take US$ too :), but it's very tough (impossible?) for me to write a check for US$, and they did say to send a check...since they don't say what type of $, and give a Canada address for us in Canada, I guessed Cdn$. Wish I had a contact number to check for sure...only have 5 of these titles, don't plan for another until Grapes of Wrath comes out, who knows when, so don't want my app to be rejected for something minor, won't have another chance for a while.

Darko

Stunt Coordinator
I sent mine Canadian, as it didn't specify. I sent mine in first week of March, so hopefully, I'll have something within the next few weeks.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
What an incredible disc! I just received this on Monday (if you're reading...many, many thanks indeed!) and have been playing around with it for two days. Fox have actually managed to surpass my previous benchmarks for silent films on DVD - Criterion's The Passion of Joan of Arc and Haxan.

Every single feature on this disc is pure gold, and there's an absolute ton of 'em! One of the very greatest DVDs I've ever seen from any studio, and by far the best of the Studio Classics range so far.

This disc is about as essential as they come and gets the highest possible recommendation I can bestow upon it. It's in my top five discs of all time and truly surpassed my wildest expectations. Hopefully this will now set a precedent for other major studios releasing their silent classics. Simply incredible work.

Having seen the love and effort gone into this disc, I find it hard to believe Fox will simply let supplies run dry once the offer expires and gives me great hope for its standalone retail release in the future. Please Fox - sooner rather than later!

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Fox have actually managed to surpass my previous benchmarks for silent films on DVD - Criterion's The Passion of Joan of Arc and Haxan.
Geez, now I'm even more antsy, those two discs are pretty good (and I'll add in Metropolis). Maybe I'll drop this offer off by hand, JIC they have the discs at the fulfillment office.

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
::sigh::
Over SEVEN weeks now, & still waiting for my copy of Sunrise (it took Fox nearly 3 weeks to cash my check, so either the demand is high, or they have a single, overburdened, minimum-wage employee trying to fill all the orders).

Reminds me of being a kid & sending off six cereal box tops for some lame giveaway, then watching the mailbox every day for what seemed like months until it arrived. I know the payoff will be much sweeter in this case, but waiting is still tough . . .

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
it took Fox nearly 3 weeks to cash my check, so either the demand is high, or they have a single, overburdened, minimum-wage employee trying to fill all the orders
Perhaps both. I guess it depends on how high a priority that FOX is putting on processing these orders.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I'm in the same boat as you BrianPB, still haven't received my disc now a month after they cashed the check, and it was perhaps 2 weeks before that when I sent in my order.

BTW, does this come by US Mail or some shipping company?

I'm doing a paper on the film right now and had to use the crappy library VHS copy just to review some points. Argh.

Not to be a prick about the point, but were this film released normally then I would either be able to buy it in the store or I would know that it still hadn't been released. As it stands you have to sit and wonder, or even worry that your order has been lost in the mix.

Brian PB

Supporting Actor

I can just picture the Fox Sunrise Head Distribution Clerk sitting at her computer in Clinton, IA reading the posts on HTF and saying, "Uh-oh, Seth Paxton posted a critical comment. I think I'll sit on his order a couple weeks more before I drop it off at the post office.":laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks