What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Sunrise" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Bob Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info, Malcolm! Looking at your list, I see that getting a copy of Sunrise will be no problem.

Much appreciated,

- Bob

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I would be interested to know exactly how much pressings Fox has made of Sunrise. How many people do they expect to take advantage of the offer? 1000? 5000? 10,000? Would it really be that big of a deal for them to simply issue the DVD seperately? I find Fox's logic quite beguiling on this issue. I need this DVD. But I don't want to feel forced into partaking in a "special" offer to do so. Don't get me wrong; I like the other Fox Classic, but don't feel compelled enough to buy three of them in order to get Sunrise - but I can't even do that, as I live in Britain! Grrr! :angry:

Don't be denied.

Gordy

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
then it would be funny that the day after FOX UK decides to put it on sale on February 1, 2004 for R2

:D :D

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I would be interested to know exactly how much pressings Fox has made of Sunrise.
I was worried about that too, but as far as I could see there was not "while supplies last" disclaimer on the offer.

It would be really bad if they ran out and didn't press more before the year was up. While this does sit in the back of my mind, it's probably not very likely.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Dome,

I understand your fear of "arthouse" film fans recommendations of old films, but the truth is that many/most "old" films had the same sort of mass target audience as today's films. The other Best Pix winner from '27, Wings might most remind you of a good version of Pearl Harbor. Yes, FX were not as strong, but the artistry was strong when these FX were in the hands of the masters. And we also have to fight through the loss of picture info due to the handling of films before restoration and preservation came into focus (which is actually very recent indeed).

Sunrise does feature Murnau's beautiful expressionistic touch, but it serves to tell a rather approachable narrative. Man cheating on wife decides to recommit to his wife after he sees how she now fears him. It's a narrative that would very much fit in a contemporary film.

The only trick is getting used to different approaches to narrative that are indicative of the era. Often though, this approaches are even more saavy than what is used today. At least in the films that were good enough to be remembered 80-100 years later.

Man, Ron, that review really surprised me. I had no idea that FOX was putting that much effort into it. I won't harp on the much debated issue of the "free only" method, but hopefully Peter realizes that such an offer seemed to be sending a message of "we don't plan on putting much effort into this".

I was just thankful that the film was getting to DVD in some form. But now I guess I have to nix the idea of waiting till Grapes of Wrath comes out to get my 3 DVDs (Day the Earth, Mrs. Muir, Grapes). I have All About Eve from the earlier release, so I guess I have to go get the other 3 out now. This DVD looks too good to wait on anymore.

Your little plan to use Sunrise to sell other DVDs to me is working, ya son'of'a... ;) :p)

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
I appreciate the review and very much look forward to viewing 'Sunrise' as soon as it comes in.

I placed my order on the first day possible (for those of us not able to get early copies of the first 3 Fox classics on the list). That would make it over 4 weeks thus far. I hope to see it within the next 2-3 weeks. Anyone actually received a copy from the pomotion yet?

Joel

Carrol

Agent
I'm absolutely ringing my hands waiting for my copy to show up in the mail. I sent my stubs and the rest of the required info off to Fox on January 15th. My check was cashed weeks ago, so that let's me know it's been processed.

I wonder what the hold up is. Has anyone recieved his or hers?

Carrol

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Do receipts work for buying the 3 discs on-line as well? I get almost everything from deep discount dvd.

-dave

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
Gosh . . . I hope so. That's how I get mine, too. Just in case, I think I'll send along the original packing slips.

For more Sunrise info, see this link.

Simon_Lepine

Supporting Actor
I haven't got a Fox Classic DVD yet, but it actually says the Sunrise offer is not available to Quebec residents on the rules ? Anyone that bought one in Quebec can confirm? maybe the rules are just just different over here.

I have a hard time understanding why we would be excluded here, considering the Fox Classics I saw in the store have the Sunrise sticker on them ...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Everything I've seen says US and Canada only (excluding Quebec). Probably in order to satisfy Quebec's eccentric rules, the packaging would have to be bi-lingual and it's not worth it to Fox to meet those requirements.

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
Could someone please post the UPC number for Sunrise ? Since it's only available through the Fox special offer, I can't find it in any online databases.
Thanks

BrianP

Supporting Actor
Could someone please post the UPC number for Sunrise ? Since it's only available through the Fox special offer, I can't find it in any online databases.
Thanks
UPC-0 24543 06858 7

I just received my copy of Sunrise in today's mail. I sent in my offer on 1/24. Should also add that I purchased the first three Fox Classics DVDs from DVDEmpire, so internet orders shouldn't be a problem.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Just received my copy of Sunrise (placed order on 1/24) a couple of days ago. It is a pleasure of a movie. The cinematography is superb, for any era. Interesting set of extras with good commentary and other tidbits as have been already reported by Ron. Just loved it.

Joel

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
It's a crime that a film of this calibre isn't available for direct purchase.

I refuse to buy other titles to get this, on principle. I only have a desire for one film on the list.

One wonders why such a restoration effort was undertaken, only to restrict distribution.

:angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks