What's new

HTF REVIEW: Star Wars - Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (1 Viewer)

Kain_C

Screenwriter

No, I don't think that's right. The focus of the OT IS indeed Luke, and he is the Jedi 'returning' from the many losses and defeats of the previous episode (ESB) to help defeat the Empire.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

That was another problem I had with Episode III. I felt like I had to study for the movie before watching it. Watch Clone Wars so you can understand who Grievous is. Read Labyrinth of Evil so you know what really happened with Syfo-Dias.

I don't recall needing a book or animated series to fill in any gaps during the original trilogy. About the only thing we had to figure out on our own between Star Wars and Empire is that Han knew Leia had feelings for him and Vader discovered that Luke was his son.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

I think it's more to do with the fact that its supposed to be a DVD Review and not a movie review.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

I don't think you need to read any books or watch any cartoons to 'understand' Episode III. They're just there as supplementary material. If you want to know, you can find out. Plus, Lucas likes to just drop the audience into the movie without them really knowing exactly who's who or what's what. It's easy to see who are the good guys and who are the bad guys.

Just to give an example of the same thing in the OT, you don't see Princess Leia get her bounty hunter disguise in Return Of The Jedi but you can roll with it. You didn't need to see it.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

I agree, there's just as much "necessary" information divulged in "Shadows of the Empire" (which takes place between "Empire" and "Jedi") as there is in "Clone Wars". Off the top of my head, there's the aformentioned Boushh bounty hunter costume, the Empire allowing the Bothans to get the Death Star II plans, Chewie's different haircut and Luke's new lightsaber. Those "questions" were flat-out unanswered for 13 years. The "questions" left between "Clone Wars" and "Revenge of the Sith" were all reflections of the film itself. Volume 2 simply portrayed the events of the opening crawl and Grievous's cough wasn't a "result" of the events of the cartoon, the cartoon was an opportunity to explain the discrepency between the non-coughing Grievous that appears towards the end of Volume 1 and the cinematic Grievous.

Kevin Lamb

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Lamb

I certainly was able to follow ROTS just fine. What do the Clone Wars cartoons say about Grievous? He's the new Separatist general who kills Jedi and collects their lightsabers. ROTS covers that in the opening scroll and the very first scene Grievous appears in.

What you're saying is kind of like someone claiming that the animated introduction to Boba Fett in the Star Wars Holiday Special was necessary to understand who he was in The Empire Strikes Back. Its not like ESB the movie even mentioned his name (for that you needed an action figure or trading card.)

The original trilogy also never made mention of Palpatine's name or Darth Vader as "Dark Lord of the Sith."

Not knowing the specifics of Syfo-Dyas is like not knowing the details of who the Bothans were in ROTJ and how they specifically acquired the plans for the second Death Star. We know Palpatine was ultimately responsible for both of those events, the details are left to our imaginations or additional mediums but aren't crucial to follow and enjoy the films themselves.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
True, but the focus of the whole epos is Anakin Skywalker, tragic hero (in the true Greek sense): his life and deaths.

Cees

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Also, the title "The Empire Strikes Back" would be invalidated by this line of reasoning. Luke may be the "focus of the OT" but that doesn't mean that the title has to refer to him. I still maintain that the Jedi that returns in "Return of the Jedi" is Anakin Skywalker.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Bill,

For many years I've been of the same opinion as you and the PT has only confirmed this opinion. (I hardly discuss it anymore, though.)

Anakin is also the other in "no there is another". (IMO)

Cees

Kevin Lamb

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Lamb
I've always believed that "the bounty hunter on Ord Mandell" was Anakin. Then there's "yeah that's what you said when Biggs and Tank left." Biggs and Tank both, of course, referring to Anakin.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Real funny. How can you compare those (obviously intentionally) absurd theories with the belief that the title "Return of the Jedi" actually refers to a Jedi character (the one that Lucas considers the main character of the entire saga) that could be considered absent prior to that film, as opposed to the common belief that it refers to a character that was present at the end of the previous episode and still present at the beginning of the one in question?

TedT

Second Unit

Ahhh... good point. But the books (esp "Attack Of The Clones") paints them as not being human at all and being more like savage, brutal, creatures (who certainly did not fight fair when ravaging the surrounding areas). I would've done the same thing as Anakin when it came to the Raiders.

Can't wait for the DVD. Got the day off from work (more due to going out for Halloween the night before than anything else). Wondering if I should finally buy a widescreen TV to watch this on.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Anakin was never a true Jedi. So how can he return? He had murdered Sand People as a Padawan. The ignorance of the council doesn't change the fact. Unless Jedi is just a title, not a standard.

Return of the Jedi was about the return of the "true" Jedi, through Luke. Anakin and Luke reconciled. Anakin didn't find cosmic redemption.

IMO,
Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks