What's new

HTF REVIEW: Star Wars - Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (1 Viewer)

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

I agree. In fact, my wife thinks it is one of the best openings in all the SW movies, perhaps even rivalling the famous overhead opening shot in ANH.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
I always thought that Anakin should have turned at the end of AOTC, making for a nice parallel with ESB. But I guess that would have been too many dark endings. And AOTC should have been nothing but the Clone Wars and the adventures of Obi-Wan and Anakin during it. Anakin's mother dies, but from the Clone Wars, and not from Tusken Raiders, which feels Anakin with alot of guilt. He blames the Jedi for starting it which leads to his eventual hatred for them. That's my idea anyway, but it's a little late.

I do NOT believe Anakin turned during the Tusken Raider slaughter in AOTC. As someone else mentioned, that was nothing more than him starting on the dark path which Yoda mentions in ESB.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I think the thing is there wasn't any one turning point. He wasn't good Anakin, then one event happened and he's all of the sudden bad Anakin. It was a long slide slow slide, that gradually gathered momentum until he was completely consumed.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

Luke taught Yoda about this in ESB. Yoda basically said that once you start down the dark path, there's no turning back. He even told Luke that this was true in Vader's life. So I think we can surmise that Anakin did indeed start down that path with the Tuskens in AOTC, and then things snowballed from there.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

No, he says "forever will it dominate your destiny". Anakin wouldn't be returning in "Return of the Jedi" (Anakin *is* the "Jedi" in the title, Luke didn't go anywhere) if there was "no turning back". I really don't understand why there's even a debate. Slaughtering an entire village of people, including children, is an evil act. Anakin obviously didn't completely give himself to the dark side until the Mace vs. Sideous scene but he most certainly used it in the Sandpeople scene. Lucas even wrote the scene where Anakin beats Greedo up on Tatooine in "The Phantom Menace" to hint at his dark side, though it was cut from the final film. Anakin's actions are constantly dipping into "dark side" territory in the PT.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone read the review over at IGN by Todd Gilchrist that absolutely trashes Episode III, the actors(especially Ian McDiarmid), George Lucas and the prequel trilogy in general? I was so mad after reading it that I e-mailed them questioning how they could let someone who hated this movie so much write a review for one of the biggest titles of the year. Apparently I wasn't the only one angered by their review because there's a mailbag section on the website that featured a lot of letters from people who felt just like I did. They didn't just print my letter(and all the others) in that section, though. They decided to respond with smart-ass little comments for everyone who questioned their review. After I read their cute little retort I fired off another e-mail saying I didn't appreciate their attitude and that I wouldn't be visiting their website anymore. Well, I received a personal response from Mr. Gilchrist tonight which simply read "You're an idiot. F**k off." Pretty professional, huh? Somehow I don't think Bill Hunt or a reviewer here at HTF would send me an e-mail telling me to "F off" if I questioned one of their reviews. Just thought I'd share with everyone here how the people over at IGN conduct themselves. :thumbsdown:

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

If you're interested, go back to IGN and send your letter to IGN itself rather than to the Columnist. Include at least a Cut & Paste of the E-mail you received. IGN will remove this guy very quickly, trust me. I've been using portions of the site for years, and they have 0 tolerance for "Cool guys" who can't behave themselves.

Remember too, IGN is owned by someone else now, can't recall who, but they're a big company with a decent name. I doubt they'll want this kind of stuff going on.

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor

When Palpatine reveals himself as the Dark Lord, don't ya think Anakin would figure it out? Wasn't Anakin aware that the darkside was involved with the assassination attempts?

MikeRS

Screenwriter
And technically speaking.....

Sidious was NOT the orchestrator of Padme's assassination attempts in AOTC. Nute Gunray asked Dooku to have Padme assassinated -- as a bargaining chip for joining the Separatists (Remember "spy" Obi-Wan reporting back to the Senate before capture). Nute wanted revenge for TPM events. So Dooku sub-contracted the "hit" to the same bounty hunter he sent to Kamino 10 years earlier.....

It was not a command by Sidious to Dooku. It was not part of and/or a chain in his grand master plan. Of course, it led to a scenario which worked out very well for him (similar to how he had to improvise a new plan in TPM when Padme made it to Coruscant) Palpatine's modus is to stir the pot with diabolical scenarios that give him plenty of flexibility in achieving his inSIDIOUS goals.

His initial plotting in AOTC basically dealt with:

1)Getting his apprentice to create tension in the galaxy with a Separatist movement.

2) Getting his apprentice to sway the financial powers in the galaxy (including TPM's Trade Federation) to back his movement.

2)Influencing the Senate's lack of faith in the Jedi's ability as peacemakers in the galaxy (especially now that a possible war might erupt)

3)Setting up an "Army of the Republic" vote in the Galactic senate because of the above.

4)Setting up Clone army order to be "mysteriously" ordered by a Jedi on behalf of the Galactic Republic.

That's it.

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
So, who was Jedi Master Sifo Dyas? He was the one who ordered the clones yes? Is Sidious Sifo Days?

I just can't help feel a bit sorry for Ani...He was a powerful pawn in a game that in the end meant he was...

burned alive, lost all his limbs, all his family and his only loved one... s**t. That is a bad run of luck (or destiny!)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

I disagree. I think the 'Jedi' in the title refers to the return of the Jedi Order, which is, at that point, Luke. It is also the culmination of Luke's struggle and journey to not only become a Jedi himself (something he wanted in Episode IV) but to resurrect the Jedi Order to combat the forces of the dark side (which became the larger goal once he started his training in Episode V). That Anakin "returns" at the end of Episode VI enhances the reference in the title, but I think it's main meaning lies with Luke and the Order.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Guys, you do realize there is a nice lengthy thread on the actual film in the Movies area? Let's try to keep this thread for discussing the DVD package/contents/extras?

There's also an ongoing thread on the entire 6 film Star Wars saga in general in the Movie area as well.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Lucas has indicated that Dooku was really the one who ordered the clones and erased the library entry for Kamino. It's not by coincidence that Obi-Wan is puzzling over it's location while being "watched" by Dooku's bust.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Yeah, Chris. His opening paragraph pretty much turned me off to the rest of his review. He's definitely allowed on to like the film but when he starts to connect it to his childhood, it because the same-tired mantra of "Lucas Raped My Childhood" that we've been hearing since Episode I.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'll reiterate what Patrick has said...

Let's keep the discussion in this thread
directed towards the DVD release. I am
just as guilty as most of you for steering
this thread off-course.

Jim Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Read the book Labyrinth of Evil. It explains the whole Sifo-Dyias mystery very well. As well as Grievous's origin.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks