What's new

HTF REVIEW: Star Wars - Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2 Viewers)

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I have to agree that the new documentary is not all that great, though I did enjoy the section about the scoring and the sound mixing. I think that the real documentaries about the prequels have yet to be made; they will probably be on the inevitable boxset for 2007, and hopefully we'll get to see more of the creative process, how GL felt about some of the reactions to TPM and AOTC, etc.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

There ought to be a web site devoted to documenting mis-understood movie dialogue or song lyrics. I'll bet there are some doozies.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Originally posted by TravisR:
Just to prove that I'm a total nerd, the proper spelling is 'Wookiee' with double 'e' on the end.

Consider me duly corrected. Makes you wonder if all Travises are ubernerds like you and I... ;)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

There are a number of misheard lyrics sites. amiright.com is one. Search for the term "mondegreens" if you want others. The key problem is, most of the ones I've seen were *not* truly misunderstood by the listener. The people submitting them were just looking for a laugh, which is not real instructive as far as I'm concerned. Example: one person claimed they thought Van Halen's "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" said "eat chunky butt love." Sorry. Ain't buyin'. There are too many questionables like that to make me really recommend these sites, but you can make up your own mind.

As for Star Wars dialog I misheard when I was four, I thought Dark Invader was talking about the dark side of the forest.

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
As for Star Wars dialog I misheard when I was four, I thought Dark Invader was talking about the dark side of the forest.

To this day, it sounds to me as though Obi-Wan, when reacting to the destruction of Alderaan, says "as if millions of oysters had suddenly cried out".

I know it's really "voices", but I've been hearing "oysters" pretty much steadily since 1977. And I don't think I'm alone, either...

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Oh, my, God! I thought the same thing and continued to, until this very day. I'm so happy I now understand what the hell Alec Guiness said it that scene. I'm also so embarassed it took 28 years to figure it out. :b

Kevin Lamb

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Lamb
For I don't know how many years I thought:

"Lock S-Foils in attack positions" was "Luck as falls. In attack positions!"

"Cut the chatter Red 2" was "Cut the shadow Red 2" (I assumed he was ordering Red 2 to perform some aerial maneuver.)

"Negative, negative, they didn't go in. Just impacted on the surface" was "Negative, negative, they didn't go in. Just a' peckin' on the surface."

"We've got to be able to get some kind of reading on that shield--up or down!" was "We've got to be able to get some kind of reading on that shield--Han port down!"

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
This isn't the thread, but 10 points to anyone who can recite line for line the lyrics to 'It's the End of the World As We Know It' by REM. ;)

Also, everytime I hear the song 'Bad Moon on the Rise' it sounds like "There's a Bathroom on the Right" to me lol.

Lastly..."Take it easy, take it easy. Don't let the sound of your home theater drive you crazy."

:D

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
This thread has veered a bit offtopic, but I can't resist throwing in what I think is the all-time best misheard lyric I know of.

Dream Theater's "Scarred" has the following lyric: "Won't let them fill me with fatalistic remedies...". Unfortunately, several people on the Dream Theater mailing list misheard it as: "Won't let them feel me with their elastic rubbernads...."

Ever since, I can't listen to the song without hearing "elastic rubbernads" and breaking into helpless laughter.

cheers,
Phil

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

"Battlestar Galactica" in SciFi is HD, and rebroadcast as such on Universal HD & NBC.

Since the show will almost certainly be SHOT with HD cameras I think Star Wars in HiDef will be a certainty.

Now...will it be 2.35 or 1.78?

Matt Wright

Stunt Coordinator
I have dibs on 1.78:1 --
a. the show is made for HDTV in mind, not a movie theater, and so they want it to "fill the HDTV", which 2.35:1 wouldn't (slight letterboxing).

b. 2.35:1 makes even larger bars then 16:9 when re-broadcast as 4:3 standard def TV, or at least more annoying to choose what to pan and scan.

Joel...Lane

Second Unit
Real Name
Joel
Finally got the movie yesterday. As with the previous two movies, I don't agree with Lucas' reasons for cutting most of the deleted scenes. He's way to worried about running times. Most should have stayed in. The formation of the Alliance! Come on.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Hey Phil, I got another one for ya...

In Aretha Franklin's "Respect", every time I hear "Take care of (undecipherable last word)", it sounds to me like she's singing, "Break out the PCP"... Just had to throw that one in there... :D

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread on "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith". May I remind you that the hospital is open 24 hours for your dining and dancing pleasure. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks