What's new

HTF REVIEW: Star Wars - Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (1 Viewer)

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
The Obi-Wan starfighter thing never bothered me because honestly the main focus of the scene is not his starfighter crashing, but Obi-Wan leaping out and getting medieval on the battle droids.

To me the mix sounds faithful to the theatrical mix and is not an issue of being mixed erroniously on DVD.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I do agree completely Richard as I don't specifically remember as I only saw it once theatrically. It was just the kick in the face missing sound effect which IS on the spanish track that got me thinking about all of this in the first place. And then noticing that there are several other instances... just seemed weird for a Star Wars flick is all. Seeing things occuring visually that don't have a corresponding sound effect (like the galloping off lizard with Obi) in a SW film is odd is all.

:)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
With the 'kick in the face' shot, are you referring to the shot when Anakin and Obi-Wan are on the table and Anakin is trying to force the lightsabre down onto Obi-Wan so he kicks him back and away?

If so than once again, I hear no difference in the various tracks except for the lack of 5.1.

And with Obi-Wan's ship, it would have been inappropriate for there to have been a sound there, the camera was far outside the hanger opening for us to hear his ship make a sound upon impact.

Honestly, I have faith in you guy's, I do, but are you sure you aren't hearing things? Or aren't hearing things in this case? ;)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hiya John! Actually the kick I'm referring to is at 1:52:33 when they are standing on the "terrace"..?!?!
And Obi-Wan galloping off is at 1:20:29 after he has talked to Cody. The lizard makes a huge leap and the impact looks large but no sound when he lands...

:)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
listen, grin.

nothing wrong with my setups. I call it like it is.
It still looks soft on a 50" plasma.
you can't see the EE on a smaller screen.

as in other movies are SHARPER.
everything's relative.

the hidef disc will look better if/when it comes out, and one will complain about the DVD much more. if anything I thought some colours were muted...the opening scroll not as bright yellow as other episodes?

now it was much sharper theatrically, where it sounded like crap.

the DVD sounds better. lizard sound is there. face kick sounds like a lightsaber instead, or lower than simultaneously.

not a good movie for ME when I watch it a 2nd time...as in no suspense as I know what's going to happen. no surprises....doesn't hold up. and I fell asleep!

watching ESB the other night was infinitely more exciting, and obvious why it holds up. IMO.

can there be smoke in space? seen it in other movies?
I won't mention the sound.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Wazzup, Dave! I just checked those two time codes and everything was the same across the tracks to my ears, so unless someone can definitely state without a doubt that they heard certain sounds in the theatrical track during these moments, there is no way to substantiate what is being claimed here in regards to this dvd's audio.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Interesting. I definitely don't hear much of a "kick impact sound" unless it's deep in the .1 part of the mix. In spanish I REALLY do hear it. Odd. And the lizard landing lack of FX is indeed on all (or not on actually) all of the tracks. Do you hear him land? I hear no FX of him landing at 1:20:29 AFTER he has talked to Cody. The lizard makes a huge leap and the impact looks large but no sound when he lands...

And also, just noticed that Grievous sounds like Triumph The Insult Comic dog!

:) d

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Chris,
let me run this by you for a second, could it be that the EE your seeing is because your enlarging dvd far beyond what the authoring intended?

In short, and IMHO with no disrespect intended, don't you think that your asking too much from the fidelity of current 480p dvd on a screen that large?

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
and who laid the law on authoring? :b
where's the cutoff size?

projectors project (up to 200").

and what's with many other discs which do NOT show EE at 185"?
eg. Robots, Madagascar. Better quality.

what's with a 36" screen showing EE, and a 50" one not with the same disc? Setup.

it's all relative. it's not the be-all-and-end-all.
a bit of prespective from all angles.

I saw EE on a theatrical print once. :D

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Now THAT I did hear, but I couldn't place it until now! :laugh:

With the lizard, I heard Obi-Wan tell Cody "We've got a battle to win here." and then the lizard makes that high pitched sound that it makes and then leaps out of frame followed by ever so FAINT pitter-patter of it's footsteps, but as it slides to a stop before proceeding up the mountain there are no audible sounds that I can hear from it's feet.

I don't mind that because in the midst of a large-scale battle like with guns and lasers all over the place, some sounds wouldn't register in reality. IMO if we heard the lizards footsteps all the time during the battle it would have been too much, too flashy, as if the sound designers were screaming for attention, that's just me, though.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I too saw a hair of EE (or is it just ringing?) in chapter 4. When Natalie is brushing her hair on the terrace at approximately 24:25, you can see a slight halo around Anakin. If you can zoom with your PJ or player it's more noticeable. I have an oppo. upscaling player going through DVI at 720P to my Optoma DLP on a 92" screen. And it's not my settup because I have a few titles with NO EE whatsoever.
There is also the odd shot that appears soft like at EXACTLY 44 miuntes, 44:00 when Palpy is talking to Anakin in their "box".

It's not a perfect DVD Pq-wise. I actually prefer AOTC in many spots but it's pretty dang good and definitely better that BB sharpness-wise for the most part.

Triumph as Grievous...

"Yo! Obi-Wahn! You SUCK! I Keeed, I keeed!"

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
guess Dave and I are picky picky picky :D

yes, those are the scenes I noticed.

and I was asleep during kick face.

I also agree with BB being soft.

Charlie also soft but OTHERS are less forgiving on noise!

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
is that the stratosphere? bit rusty on the school stuff.

dialogue says they are entering atmposhere...that they were (trying to stay) in orbit.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek

[[ physicist-mode on ]]

There can indeed be smoke in outer space as well, but it would just be dispersed so fast it could not be seen due to the lack of atmospheric pressure. Presumably, this could result from the explosions (things ARE burning, if only for an instant), which would not be the huge blossoming fireballs we are familiar with (there's no oxygen to feed the fireball). Of course, Star Wars takes several liberties where physics is concerned: In deep space there is no medium to propagate sound, so the deep rumble of a Star Destroyer should not be there. Also, there should be no banking when maneuvering, but it still looks cool. And I won't even get into the issue of light speed, and the relativistic consequences...

[[ physicist-mode off ]]

Tom J. Davis

Second Unit
To my ears the mix sounds just like it did each time I saw it in the theater (7 total).

It does sound very different from episodes 1 and 2, but as someone mentioned earlier in the thread Gary Rydstrom did not mix episode 3. Personally, in many ways I prefer it to the mixes of tpm and aotc. The music is much more prominent, I like that.

Johnny Angell: It is a long and tedious process which is not for the faint of heart, but I love to video edit so I don't mind. If your interested pm me, so as not to derail the thread. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks