What's new

HTF REVIEW: Star Wars - Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (1 Viewer)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Cool about the new THX trailer. Maybe this thread can concentrate just on the dvd of ROTS. Nah. Won't happen. The trolls are alive and well in the other one and they'll find this thread too. :b

Jim Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Can't wait to add this disc to my collection. Revenge of the Sith was a masterpeice of cinema and it looks like this DVD will match the movies brilliance.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

Take another look at the Jedi Council chamber. The pattern on the floor is quite worn, and it kinda looks like mildew is spreading from the seams between the tiles.

EricW

Senior HTF Member

is it one we've seen in theaters? did they ever use that THX 'sound clip montage' trailer for DVDs? it's the one where you hear all those famous lines from various flicks (but no images) that leads up to a very identifiable Sam Jackson saying "strike down upon thee" i think.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

I definitely agree. I was very surprised at how poorly Anakin's turn was handled given Lucas' track record as a great storyteller(in spite of his directing and screenwriting deficiencies).

I had a hard time believing that a few minutes after discovering Palpatine is the most evil man in the galaxy and responsible for starting a war that has caused the deaths of millions, Anakin would be willing to slaughter his entire surrogate family(including children) on his orders. Especially after Palpatine has suddenly backtracked on his claim that he knows how to use the Dark Side to preserve life, telling Anakin instead that they must work together to discover that power.

That moment was the key to the entire film and prequel trilogy and I never bought it for a second. Of course that being said, I'll still end up getting the DVD to complete the collection.;)

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
Ah, so once again it's a modified version of one of THX's trailers, like Calvacade. It's not much better than Let's See It In THX though.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
I spun this disc on my Marantz VP12S3 DLP Projection system... All I can say is, the video is jawdropping!!!!! By far the most pristine, sharp transfer I have ever seen on DVD... It looks like pure digital... I saw no dvd artifacts what so ever....

Audio wise, this is a reference dvd..

By the way, the THX Easter Egg is piss in your pants funny.... All I will say is, it invloves Yoda... :D

TedT

Second Unit

I thought the book had one huge flaw when it came to Anakin's fall: he was duped by Palpatine, rather than influenced (via half truths & what he saw (Palpatine being "bullied" by Mace)) by Palpatine to turn.

He made a CHOICE based on what he saw and the half truths that Palpatine told him. He wasn't duped.

I'd rather think that Anakin was smarter than to just be duped by Palpatine by a ruse, which the book went into in quite a bit of depth.

Though, the book did a good job in relating the death of Anakin's mother to his refusal to let the same thing happen to Padme.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
AOTC was the first dvd that I used to test my current pj and I was smiling the whole time while watching it, thus, I look forward to this new release of ROTS. Thanks for the review.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
As much as his turn seems fast on screen, it really isn't.

Anakin is reluctant to do Sidious biding. There's a medium close up shot of Hayden when he lowers his head in disgust as Sidious orders him to the Jedi Temple. Clearly, in that shot the way Hayden played it, he didn't want to do it.

But, this has to remain the point. He goes not because of Sidious but because of Padme. He believes so strongly in his mind that if he goes this route, he will have the power to save Padme. That's why he goes without question, eventhough earlier he questioned his actions against Mace. But, the other thing that happens in this scene and this is how I interpret it, he decides then that he will rid the Republic of Palpatine. He was already thinking ahead.

Again, just my interpretation. I didn't have any problems at all with this turn in Palpatine's office.

Flame away!

Regarding the DVD, is the picture quality better than Clones? I know alot of that question deals with the cameras used considering Clones was shot on a first-gen HD camera and Sith was shot on a new HD camera. Is there a clear difference?

Brendon

Second Unit
Had this on pre-order since it came up for pre-ordering.

You splendid review has only whetted my appetite more. Much obliged!

Brendon

Matt Leigh

Stunt Coordinator
Anakin also thinks he is right the whole time and that the Jedi are in the wrong as he believes they are going to destroy the established democracy by overthrowing the government. That is why he pledges allegiance to Palpatine and he only becomes twisted by the dark side later when he begins his killing.

Pledging the allegiance isn't what turns someone, doing the evil deeds does.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Michael,

Awesome review. Would love to find out about your screen shots...I need to find a way to start doing that myself.

I'm so thrilled to get this disc. I just can't wait! Your description of the video and audio quality has me DROOLING in expectation!

I should also add that I truly enjoy this film. I find it not only tolerable (an honor which Episode 1 didn't garner from me), but ENJOYABLE.

IMO, my ideal "star wars movie party" starts with this film then moves on to the original three.

On Blu-ray... :D

dave

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Luke was also very close to turning in ROTJ, and only pulled back at the last minute.

And yet, we all believe that Luke was very, very close to taking the same path his father did. It wasn't until the last minute that he pulled back, and even then he pulled back because his father had made the wrong choice and turned into a monster because of it.

But Anakin didn't turn in ROTS. He really turned in AOTC, or at least that's where he started down the dark path. Unlike Luke, Anakin was too far gone by the time he had to make the choice in ROTS. He slipped on the slope he had chosen to travel down.

Justin Hargis

Stunt Coordinator
As it stands, in my opinion, Revenge of the Sith is the best film of the saga. I know most will disagree with me, but to each their own.

One of my favorite scenes is the interaction between Palpatine and Anakin at the Opera House. The acting, dialogue, lighting/visuals and music create one of the most magical scenes I've ever seen in a movie. I get chills when Palpatine's starts talking about Darth Plagueis "the wise". :)

Additionally, I found the "Ruminations" scene, where Anakin and Padme are staring at each other from across the city to be equally orgasmic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks