What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Star Trek: Voyager - The Complete First Season (1 Viewer)

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

Star Trek: Voyager - The Complete First Season

Studio: Paramount

Year: 1995

Rated: NR

Length: 12 hrs, 13 min + special features

Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1

Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1 English, English Surround

English Subtitles

Special Features: 8 featurettes, Photo gallery, hidden files

Release Date: February 24, 2004

Star Trek: Voyager is the embodiment of the wilting rose on the vine that is the Star Trek franchise. It is recognizable as a part of the Star Trek family, but there is no lustre. It has faded from its former glory, and presents us with a form that reminds us of Star Trek, but which has lost its vim. Still, it has that familiar form and presence, which continues to be mildly comforting for those in need of a Star Trek fix.

Is Voyager a bad show? Well, ask three Trekkies and get three different answers. When the show was really on its game, it was pretty good. Overall, the series was hit-or-miss, and it averaged out to be remarkably mediocre. To be sure, there are detractors who insist that Voyager was a miserable piece of... well... we won’t go there. There are others who claim the show was their favorite incarnation of Trek. For me, the show was the weakest entry in the Star Trek television franchise. But for a sci-fi fan longing for more sci-fi on television, the days when Voyager graced our television screens were better for it. Voyager was simply another voice in the chorus of sci-fi, rather than the soloist that every Trekkie hoped for.

Packaging

Paramount brings the abbreviated 15 episode premiere season of Voyager to DVD on February 24. It looks as though Paramount chose to reduce packaging costs on this set. There is no disc art, and cover art on the package is minimal. The only insert is a small one-sheet advertisement of other Star Trek on DVD (including the upcoming release of the original Star Trek series in season boxed sets coming in Fall / Winter 2004). The discs are held in the book style holders that were used for Paramount’s DS9 and CSI series, although without the fold-open flaps or the slip cover. The package is simply the left-hand bound plastic pages, with a two piece cover which slides over bottom and top, meeting in the middle - with a semicircular overlap for the cover art. This makes for an unusual, and somewhat cumbersome package.

Episodes

The first episode is the double length series premiere, Caretaker, which is really an impressive introduction to the series. Unfortunately, the impressive first outing of Voyager is followed by two misfires in a row. Parallax recycles several themes from other Star Trek episodes, and Time and Again does the whole time travel thing and bails on the viewer by turning in a typical paradox-based zero-sum plot. After the near derailment, the show gets back on track with the excellent Phage. Like I said, “hit or miss.”

Here are my recommended episodes from season 1:

Caretaker does an excellent job of introducing the characters and passing the baton from Deep Space Nine, while also setting up the premise for the show (a lone ship lost far from home) and introducing us to new alien species - some of whom become members of the crew. While the Kazon would ultimately become Voyager’s Ferengi (in terms of a failed nemesis - for those who remember the Ferengi’s lackluster introduction in TNG), the characters Neelix and Kes, both members of new alien races, become an integral part of the show. This two-parter manages to introduce all these characters and concepts, and still tell an engaging story - something that is often hard to do in a premiere.

Phage introduces us to the Vidiians, an alien race which has been infected with a deadly disease and must steal body parts from living donors of other races in order to survive. Voyager’s holographic doctor (my favorite character, played by Robert Picardo) comes up with an ingenious plan to keep Neelix alive after his lungs are removed by the Vidiians.

In Eye of the Needle, the Voyager crew discovers a wormhole that leads back home to the Alpha Quadrant. The problem is, it’s almost microscopic. And, there is another, even more perplexing problem...

State of Flux finds a spy in Voyager’s midst. One of the regular characters will ally with the Kazon against the Voyager crew.

Jetrel is a moving episode where Neelix comes face to face with the man who annihilated his homeworld and killed his family.

The Look
This is the one area where Voyager is superior to the previous Trek season sets. With the exception of a slight softness (perhaps accentuated by the fact that this is not anamorphic content), and some “mosquito noise” around the titles in the title sequence of Caretaker, there is nothing to complain about, here. The picture is bright, with good contrast and good shadow detail. Colors are consistent and well saturated. There are few visible compression artifacts - something that was a real problem in darker scenes on DS9. I think part of the reason for the improved quality is that the content was easier to compress. DS9 was a darker and dirtier show, offering challenges to good compression. Voyager, in contrast, is brightly lit and seems to have more static camera movements.

The Sound
The Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack is comparable to what we heard on Deep Space Nine. The mix isn’t overly aggressive, which is to be expected for mid-1990’s television product. The front soundstage is well utilized for music, especially Jerry Goldsmith’s beautiful and majestic theme. Sound effects also take advantage of left, right and rear channels, while dialog is usually pinned front and center. Your subwoofer won’t get a real workout with this soundtrack, but that’s not surprising. This 5.1 mix is just about what I expected, and what viewers of Trek on DVD have come to expect as well.

Special Features

Beware of spoilers from season one and beyond. While my review is relatively spoiler free, the special features are not.

Braving the Unknown: Season One (10:50)
Executive Producers Rick Berman, Michael Piller and Jeri Taylor discuss the creation of Voyager in interviews conducted in 1993. Includes clips from the show.

Voyager Time Capsule: Kathryn Janeway (15:15)
Kate Mulgrew talks about auditioning for, and ultimately winning the role of Captain Janeway (after the departure of first choice Genevieve Bujold). In an interview conducted in 2003, Mulgrew talks about her unfamiliarity with the Star Trek franchise, and how she made the role her own. Audition clips, scenes from a few episodes, and behind the scenes footage are included. Mulgrew skirts around the issue of Bujold’s departure. Also included are clips from an interview Mulgrew did on the set in 2001.

The First Captain: Bujold (8:41)
Scenes from Caretaker, which had seen several days of shooting with wonderful Canadian actress Genevieve Bujold, are shown in this featurette. Interviews with Rick Berman again skirt around the specific reasons for her departure, saying only that after the first couple of days it was apparent to all that they should “go in a different direction.” After seeing these scenes, I think Mulgrew gave the Janeway character more authority.

Cast Reflections: Season One (8:42)
All the principle cast of Voyager recall for us their start in the Star Trek universe. Armin Shimerman also appears, discussing his role in the premiere episode.

On Location with the Kazons (5:38)
David Livingston takes us on a tour of the on-location desert set of the Kazon village - shot in 1994. Winrich Kolbe also comments on the location, which had been used in TNG.

Red Alert: Visual Effects (10:34)
Dan Curry talks about the effects from season one of Voyager. In interviews from 1994 and 2003, Curry describes the processes and limitations of the effects for the show. Included are details on the building of the five foot Voyager model. Also discussed are the CG effects used.

Launching Voyager on the Web (6:07)
Web designer Marc Wade explains the construction of one of the first interactive web sites used to launch and promote a television series.

Real Science with Andre Bormanis
Science Consultant Andre Bormanis explains how real science was incorporated into the show by the writers, including current scientific theories on wormholes and time travel.

Photo Gallery

Hidden Files
By my count, there are four of these on disc five. These are similar in nature to the “Section 31 Files” on the DS9 sets - short clips of interviews and scenes from the show that address minor trivia.

Final Thoughts
This may be an improvement in video quality over previous Trek seasons on DVD, and the program itself is okay - but I think at a price approaching $100 at retail, this abbreviated season will be a tough sell.

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the review Scott.

I will be getting all of Voyager myself. While I do agree it was VERY hit or miss(including a disappointing finale) I still enjoyed the series as a whole.

While I also agree with others the sets are overpirced, particualrly this short first season, I am still happy to have these sets on DVD. I think it is a REAL DISSERVICE to the buyers though that they skimped on the packaging and no Cover Art for the discs and no insert :thumbsdown: --- definitely think the ball was dropped here.

Sadly though unless Enterprise comes out at around $20 a season that thing will not grace my DVD shelves at all.

Thanks again

Greg

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I wish a place had these sets to rent. I'd rent Voyager to see most of the eps I've missed. It's not good enough IMO to purchase.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Thanks for the review, Scott. I still won't be getting this, as I didn't like the series as a whole that well. But it's nice to be reminded that the series got off to a decent start, and that there were some scattered good episodes.

Mediocre is a good word to describe the series (something I would apply to Enterprise as well); good here and there, but just so-so most of the time.

I do agree though, that it seems kind of odd that they're charging so much for such a short season, especially with the packaging not being as elaborate.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
So the discs are blank, as in they look like flippers?

Geez, I've been on the fence about this DVD set for so long, and every time mild nostalgia gets me leaning towards buying, something comes along to nudgeme the other way. First was the fact that the latter seasons seem to be up in the air right now in terms of release date. I'm tired of buying into series that don't get completed. Now the blank discs. I guess I'll just rent them from Netflix...

danak

Second Unit
KyleC said:

Netflix will have this title available; it's likely that other Internet rental places will as well. It will probably cost you a lot less than some brick and morter store.

Dana

Darren Haycock

Second Unit

I saw a picture from the review at IGN. The discs don't have art. They're labeled, as in Star Trek Voyager is written on there and stuff, just no art. It's not like they're totally blank. I'm definitely happy these sets don't tempt me whatsoever.

Eric F

Screenwriter
You managed to use "vim" in a sentence, without pairing it with "vigor" I might add.

I doff my [virtual] hat to you.:emoji_thumbsup:

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
The only thing in this set I'm really DYING to see is the pilot and the Bujold scenes that were shot. C'mon, we need a screencap of Bujold in costume in the review!!!

KyleC

Supporting Actor

Ask and ye shall receive.

PS> Thanks Dana for the response. How do you quote someone?

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
That pic...Yikes!

Thanks for the review, Scott! I'm a little disappointed with the price given the number of episodes, the packaging (although I can do something about that) and the series in general. But the completist in me will have to have it.

I don't think Voyager ever lived up to its promise. And following on the heels of DS9 made it even more apparent.

Ric

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Wow, Bujold's looking pretty ragged there, and the ill-fitting costume isn't helping matters. I have a friend that might get this, so maybe I'll get to see if the acting would have nullified any of this.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Bujold looks alot like "Vina" from "TheCage" before the Talosians Had at her . Stillthink she might have been a better Janeway thou.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Thanks for the review! I'm really looking forward to Voyager on DVD. I'm still working on purchasing the DS9 series.
It's a shame Paramount can't cut the price on these sets. They would sell a lot more of them. Especially since there are a lot of Star Trek fans on the fence for Voyager.

I thought the show got a lot better the further along it went. I feel this way about TNG and DS9 as well. I agree Voyager also had more of a mix of lackluster episodes though too. Still, it is one of my favorite Star Trek series.
Thanks again for the review!

AlexSchwarz

Stunt Coordinator
@Ric Easton: I don't know if you're still reading this thread but I couldn't seem to find the old one, about your VOY covers.

Well, I just wanted to let you know that the R2-sets of season 1 will proabably have only 16 episodes as well and not 20, as I thought initially. Should make things easier!

Chris

Senior HTF Member
For a 15 ep season, it's tragic that I can pick up something like a Highlander season of 22 eps for $53, but they want $109/99 for something like Voyager Season 1 15 eps.

Bah. I bought the DS9, primarily because I love the series, and I had some interest in Voyager, but am very dissapointed with the price point.

I sat last night and watched some of S6 DS9 last night, and thought to myself "Voyager just never had an episode like "Darker than.." of DS9.. DS9 really hit a streak in about S4 with fairly gritty/the Federation isn't always good/a captain can do something ill for the war (assassinate a romulan to draw them into the conflict) and so on.. DS9 just was -good TV- outside of good trek.

Voyager is decent trek, and I wanted to buy to include in my set (though I think it had more then a few "jump the shark" moments) but at this price, hard to buy :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks