What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Recommended) (2 Viewers)

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
For those in sunny California:

The Man Himself - Director Nicholas Meyer will be autographing DVDs of STAR TREK VI next week.

Tuesday, January 27, 7:30PM
Borders Westwood in Los Angeles
1360 Westwood Blvd., Westwood

Saturday, January 31, 4PM
Borders San Rafael in San Francisco
588 Francisco Blvd, West, San Rafael

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Scott-Thanks for the heads up on the Nicholas Meyer signings. He'll be close by to me in the SF Bay Area. It will bookend nicely with my Robert Wise signed Star Trek-TMP.

Nelson

PS, Doug. It will be interesting to see how that sequence is altered.

Joe Isham

Stunt Coordinator
Nelson,

If you meet him, would you mind asking Nicholas Meyer if there's any movement toward a DVD release of "The Day After"?

I'm definitely picking up ST VI when it comes out.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
Nelson,

Scott lists both the additions to the theatrical version - which have already appeared on Home Video in the previous VHS, Laser, and DVD versions - and re-edits to this version. He identifies the re-edits, and the scene we're talking about, though listed among the changes to the theatrical version, is not one of the listed re-edits. So I believe Scott is saying that it remains intact. I'll know for sure when I screen this myself.

Regards,

D

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Nelson, Doug:
Yes,
The Col. West reveal is intact.

I've never had a big problem with this scene addition. Yeah, it's a bit corny... but it's not the only thing that's corny in the film.

Nobody should be surprised by
West's involvement in the conspiracy

by that time, anyway.

To me, it makes more sense having him involved in the climax, than not.

-Scott

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
Good review, Scott. :D

This is one of my favorite Star Trek films, so
I've been looking forward to this edition. Even
though the interviews with Doohan, Nichols, Takei
and Koenig are old, it's nice to hear from them on
this DVD.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Nice review Scott, my dvd should arrive in a couple of days, looking forward to seeing this on dvd, one of the best of the series.
I confess that when I saw Trek VI in the cinema and the signatures started coming up at the end I had tears in my eyes. I knew that it would be the last time I'd see all the legendary original crew in a Trek movie together.:frowning:

The much-maligned ST-TMP is my favorite Trek too, my least favorite is the newest (and possibly last) Trek, Nemesis, yes I even prefer Trek V to that one.:)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
For those of you that may have missed it, Martin Blythe from Paramount commented in the "Cropped Again?!" thread.

Wish I could get to LA or SF! :D

So it appears the new DVD is supervised and approved by Nick Meyer himself. I can only assume that the "Scooby-Doo" scene is there as Mr. Meyer prefers that cut.

Works just fine for me. :)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Nice review. I just placed an order for it at DDD for $13.56 shipped. This will be my last Trek movie DVD I will be buying as my goal has been to just buy all the original cast SE movies - it will be nice to see all of them on my bookshelf.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I don't know if this is the right thread to ask this but I did see the movie in the theater than after in video. Quite honestly, I don't remember the version I saw in the theater being different than video, but that's my poor memory.

How was the ending in the theater done w/o the 'scooby doo" ending? How was West implicated? Or wasn't he?

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
In the theatrical version,

Colonel West is never featured. It looks like a Klingon is responsible for the assassination attempt at the peace summit.

However, the extended video version revealed Colonel West to be under the Klingon mask. Once Colonel Worf ID's the blood as "not Klingon", he pulls the mask off to reveal West's face.

David Dias

Stunt Coordinator
A must have for me as well.

The Federation Operatives featurette sounds interesting; I know about David Warner, Kurtwood Smith, Brock Peters, Michael Dorn, René Auberjonois being in other Trek films/series but I didn't recognize the other actors listed.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
And after the reveal Scooby Doo and the gang all say in unison
It's Colonel West!

And then
Admiral Cartwright says, "And we would have got away with it too, if it wasn't for that dog and those meddling kids!"

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Heck, if I remember correctly, Rene Auberjonois isn't even listed in the credits (though that may be corrected with this edition) - all his scenes were cut from the film for theatrical release, but his name wasn't restored to the credits along with his scenes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks