What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1 Viewer)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I passed on Trek V the first time, and i will pass again. If i want to see what its like at the center of our galaxy i would rather watch the animated episode of Star Trek...The Magics of Megas Tu. Kirk saves Satan on Saturday morning TV! The special effects were even better on the animated show, for that matter so was the acting, and writing!

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
comes up with EX (default) nicely.

sharp picture. breathtaking scenery.
choice score. intriguing plot.

not bad. maybe slightly low budget effects and low key action, more of a TV eposide theme...but hardly the worst (Trek) movie ever.

the presentation is very good.

I liked it. it's got comedy too. Gene Roddenberry is listed as EXECUTIVE CONSULTANT.

if you want action - go evens!

I appreciate odd (too). :b

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roddenberry had nothing to do with any of the Star Trek movies after The Motion Picture.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not true. He retained (and threatened to use on several occasions) the right to veto any ST movie. For every movie he had the clout to ask for and get storyline changes.

ST4 he asked for and got minor changes to the storyline.

ST5 he asked for changes to the way the word God was used in the movie and asked for it to be toned down to avoiding upsetting religious groups.

Some of the background to this is that he had a time travel story which he wrote and wanted to make into an ST movie for a long time about the Enterprise crew going back to the 1960's and saving JFK's life!!

So every time a new TOS ST movie came around Roddenberry dragged out his JFK storyline (which always got turned down flat).

Roddenberry also went on record as objecting to Nick Meyers idea to depict the Enterprise as a military ship in ST's'2 & 6 arguing that in the 23rd century there would be no need to fight anymore.

All this info is in the Shatner movie memoirs book & ST5 making of book by Liz Shatner. The Nick Meyer part is in the 1992 ST6 feature in Cinefantastique. Harve Bennett also mentioned this in interviews he gave in 1991 to CFQ when Roddenberry had blackballed the Star Fleet Academy movie Bennett was going to Direct & Produce (he had already written the screenplay with David Loughery).

Sergio Martorel

Second Unit
Roddenberry also went on record as objecting to Nick Meyers idea to depict the Enterprise as a military ship in ST's'2 & 6 arguing that in the 23rd century there would be no need to fight anymore.
But the Enterprise WAS depicted as a military ship, so his "veto" powers weren´t that strong...

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
I wouldn't doubt if ST:V gets a DC down the line, look F13 getting a Box Set. Though I'm surprised Martin hasn't posted in here...

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Jason:

Re-read Shatner's ST5 Personal Account Of The Making Of. Chapter 2 Creating The Story Pages 52 to 54 where Roddenberry talked about his objections to the religious aspects of the story.

Cinefantastique Vol22 Issue5 Nick Meyer talks quite frankly about some of the problems he had with Roddenberry on ST2 & 6.

Shatner's Movie Memories Page 276 it specifically mentions Roddenberry lobbying against the proposed ST Academy Movie. That and the then head of Paramount not knowing about it were the reasons which lead to Bennett departing Paramount as his contract was up. Page 229 talks a little about Roddenberry's religious concerns on 5.

Harve Bennett also gave a frank interview to CFQ (I'd tell you the issue but recently I sold my entire CFQ collection)in the early 1990's where he talked about Roddenberry blackballing his Academy idea after Bennett had believed that the studio had already given him the greenlight to make the movie.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
But the Enterprise WAS depicted as a military ship, so his "veto" powers weren´t that strong...
As further indication of that, Star Fleet is an organization that is dedicated to exploration; however, it is without a question a SPACE NAVY, from the continual references of a "fleet" to the clearly naval hierarchy and command structure. The last I checked, all navies are militarily-based.

What surprising about your statement is that Star Trek was like this even when the original series was on, which clearly was his baby. It's surprising to hear that he didn't want a militaristic view of the Enterprise.

paul_austin

Second Unit
I think the reason why Myers was the target of the whole military/scientific debate was the uniform change as much as anything else. Those maroon uniforms are very military like.

Britton

Screenwriter
I fail to see why Roddenberry was so against his characterss fighting when Kirk would be throwing karate chops and dropkicks all the time in TOS. There were also frequent occurrences of lunatics running around the Enterprise karate chopping transporter technicians and security guards.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
No, it was the head of Gulf + Western, Martin Davis, who killed that idea. Here's an excerpt from this article about the development of Star Trek VI:

quote:

Ultimately, when Martin Davis (the head of Gulf + Western at the time) was told that production was ready to begin on a sixth Star Trek film, he asked if Shatner and Nimoy were happy with the script. When he was told that they essentially had cameos, Davis reportedly hit the roof, and that's what caused the sudden push to do a Classic Trek movie.

To further support this statement, George Takei had leaked it out to the fans at Star Trek conventions that Harve Bennett had developed the Starfleet Academy script with a younger cast in mind for the Original Series characters, with Shatner and Nimoy in bridging cameos. Reportedly it had something to do with a death and it tied in with Kirk's Academy days, where he met a Spock who had been estranged from Sarek and a Leonard McCoy, an older cadet, who went into the Academy after his father's death (at least that's what I remember, though I could be wrong in some areas). It was to have been prepared for the 25th anniversary of Star Trek's premiere. The fans didn't like that idea one bit and said so to Paramount Pictures, demanding that a final film with the complete Original Series cast be prepared instead.

I had the opportunity to meet Walter Koenig (Chekov) in 1990, and he expressed his displeasure over certain aspects of both the Star Trek V script and the Starfleet Academy script and wanted to do a final film with the original cast as a proper sendoff. He and I agreed that while his turn as "Captain Chekov" was refreshing in ST V, it would have turned into a bit of bad comic timing if in ST VI they said "Captain to the bridge", and all seven of the original cast hit the bridge at one time.

Of course, by the time of "Trials and Tribble-ations" (DS9), we learned that McCoy went to Ole Miss prior to the Academy (and for that, Mississippi State fans are still in an uproar! It's a college rivalry thing, y'know :D).

Ironically, since then there have been numerous novels, young adult novels, and comics devoted to the Original Series cast, the TNG cast, Janeway from Voyager, and other people at Starfleet Academy, as well as the CD-ROM game of the same name. So would a Starfleet Academy movie have worked? We may never know.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Who knows whether a STARFLEET ACADEMY movie would have worked. For my part, I really liked STAR TREK VI and rank it as one of the best entries in the series.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I wont own Trek VI either...lets see...outta control actor egos like McCoy helping prime a torpedo, Uhura going to the galley to see who set off a phaser, and why do we need a phaser stash in the galley? Why does the galley look like it came from the Jetsons? Why do they have a galley? Even in classic Trek days they had synthetic food. Men in bunk beds? In classic Trek everyone had a room, the thought was on a 5 year mission you need more than a bunk to call home. Bad redress of the Next Generation sets, like 10 forward as the Presidents office. And the invasion/battle plans being written on paper and a black marker. If memory serves too, they were talking about invasion in front of the enemy in that part as well! I could go on and on why i don't like it. And its all small nit picky things. But to me those small things make up Star Trek, and why i don't watch new Trek TV today. They get farther away from the little things, and forget what they already put down as fact...like Klingons with purple blood?! Ohhh don't get me going again!:)

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
If memory serves too, they were talking about invasion in front of the enemy in that part as well!
Your memory is wrong on that one. The Klingon ambassador is clearly shown walking out of the room before "Operation: Retrieve" is proposed.

Neil

paul_austin

Second Unit
Starfleet Academy was/is a terrible idea....it was Harves way of doing star trek without the big paychecks IMHO. Besides it would have been a crime to do star trek without the original cast while they are still alive and willing. Well actually it still is a crime :wink:

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Actually, Neil, Rick does have a point in his statement that they talk about Operation Retrieve in front of "the enemy". After the Klingon Ambassador leaves, who happens to walk in but Admiral Cartwright, Colonel West, and the Starfleet C-in-C. And it's through that discussion and later events in the film do we realize that:

the enemy has been in the room the entire time: Romulan Ambassador Nanclus and Starfleet Admiral Cartwright, along with their hired gun Colonel West. While the Klingon Ambassador could have had a clear motive, it was proven out that he didn't.

Ironic, isn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks