What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Star Trek: The Next Generation" Season Three (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Brenton

Screenwriter
Wasn't this addressed in the DS9 Episode "Trials & Tribblations"? I remember Sisko saying something about "command officers wore gold...operations officers wore red" or something like that...then Dax came in saying "..and women wore less" and I forgot about everything else.
Ah, the greatest episode of Deep Space Nine ever!

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Finished watching all seven discs a couple days ago and I must say that they were highly enjoyable (the episodes, not really the documentaries; the docs were more of the same as the second season set with little insight or background IMO save LeVar Burton's and Whoopi Goldberg's contributions regarding 'seeing black people [and other races and species working and getting along together] in the future' (which is part of what Star Trek is all about after all)).

Very much looking forward to the fourth season,

Andrew

edit: punctuation

Britton

Screenwriter
In the episode "The Hunted" (third episode on disc 3), at about the 29:29 mark in Chapter 5, hass anyone else head a slight pop in the sound from the center channel when Data says "as he bypasses each sub-system...". I played the Stereo track over the same dialogue, but I only heard the pop in the 5.1 track. Can anyone else verify this for me? Thanks a bunch.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I was wondering is it just me or does the opening credits in season #3 not have the same surround activity when the enterprise swooshes by ?

Britton

Screenwriter
Hmm, I think you might be right about that one. As far as surround activity in the credits goes, I think "Encounter at Farpoint" was the episode that impressed me the most.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Britton, I noticed the pop in that episode too, at the same timestamp. Must be a mastering glitch!

ChrisLee

Stunt Coordinator
Anybody notice a blueish tint on the right side of the opening and closing credits? It kind of looks as if putting a magnet on the right side of your tv.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Anybody notice a blueish tint on the right side of the opening and closing credits? It kind of looks as if putting a magnet on the right side of your tv.
That is not new to the DVD. People have complained about that back to the original broadcasts! :eek:
I forget what the deal is with it, but it's an FX thing. If you never noticed it before, thank overscan for that.

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
Just watched "The Most Toys" Disc 6 - #170 and was wondering if Chapter 1 seemed blurry and out of focus?
The remaining chapters of the episode were clear so I am
reasonably sure that it isn't the hardware/monitor.

I have been watching the shows on a PC DVD player at work, episode length is perfect for my lunch break, and have never noticed any other episodes from any of the seasons look this way.

Was curious if anyone else noticed this or perhaps it is time for another eye exam.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to start a separate thread about this, but from a purely video standpoint, the TOS discs are more satisfying--most likely given that the original series was shot on 35mm film, while TNG was on 16mm and often employed video compositing. Though TNG has never looked this good before, the discs are not as visually impressive to me as the TOS discs.

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
I noticed the same thing with "The Most Toys". Do you have a progressive scan player? I'm thinking that the progressive scan flag (Or whatever) was set wrong for the first chapter. Perhaps the only reason it good for the rest of the show is that when they cut in the opening intro the progressive flag was set back on, and was stuck there for the rest of the show...(You don't think they'd run compression on the intro seperately for EVERY episode, do you?! Wouldn't they just do it once and edit it into each one to save time?)

I'll have to try that show on my PC DVD software.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I got thru the Set tonight, it's always a treat wen I get to watch the Wonderful "Best of Both Worlds" I've must of seen this ep 20 times and I never get tired of watching it. This show along with "SareK" , "Offspring", Yesterday's Enterprise", "Sins of the Father", "Who watches the Watchers", and "Deja Q" are really some tremendous Trek shows. I wanted to comment on the extras this time around. I thought they were a bit on the thin side. The Featurettes were all great and well produced. But I thought they missed a goldenopportunity to bring in te writers and some actors forcommentaries on the above shows. I would have loved to have heard how Patrick Stewart liked working with Mark Lenard. Or how about Denise Crosby ruminating on what a mistakeit was to leave Trek and Return in YE.

Don't get me wrong the audio and video is top notch, but for a $100 a whack it would be nice to get at least a few commentaries.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I finished watching the set on Sunday after i realized Sopranos Season 3 was on the way and in a week or so TNG season 4 and Stargate Season 2 were coming. Didnt want to get too backed up :). I loved watching Best of Both Worlds Pt1. I havent seen that episode in a long time. I have tried not to watch any TNG in the last year waiting for these releases
capt

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
I have tried not to watch any TNG in the last year waiting for these releases
That's what I'm doing with DS9. I haven't watched any episodes for the past year or so in anticipation of it hoefully (please!) coming out after TNG. Now that TNG is on DVD, that can hold me over till DS9.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I am only 5 episodes away from finishing Season 3 and I've enjoyed every minute of it. Its amazing how much better this season was compared to the previous two. It just seemed like the switch was turned on and the characters were 3 dimensional instead of flat and the story lines weren't contrived, bad, sci-fi re-hashes.

I can't wait for the next four seasons.

Patrick

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The reason for the improvement was because Rick Berman--now the very scourge of the franchise, along with Brannon Braga--took over the reigns from Gene Roddenberry and helped TNG find its own voice.

I'm watching four episodes every weekend. And the video quality is quite variable, whereas the TOS discs are uniformly excellent. Again, TNG has never looked this good, but it could be so much better.

In addition to TNG having been shot in 16mm and the special effects video-composited, the episodes were then transferred to videotape. Add to that Paramount's including four episodes per disc, along with the elaborate menus, then one gets an understanding why the picture quality falls short of the two-episode-per-disc TOS discs.

TNG deserves the very best treatment Paramount can give it. But credit the studio for having paid close attention to fan complaints about the way the TOS discs were issued.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I really think the transferring to vieotape has alot to do with it. TOS, UFO, Space 1999 all shows that were filmed look so muh better and sharper than TNG. I just got the UFO set and the picture jumps off the screen.

Andrew D F

Stunt Coordinator
Jack,

While I agree with most of your points, I'm not so sure about this one...

Add to that Paramount's including four episodes per disc, along with the elaborate menus, then one gets an understanding why the picture quality falls short of the two-episode-per-disc TOS discs.
The TOS discs are single layer while the TNG discs are dual layer, thus both series have two episodes per layer.

Andrew

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
The reason for the improvement was because Rick Berman--now the very scourge of the franchise, along with Brannon Braga--took over the reigns from Gene Roddenberry and helped TNG find its own voice.
That’s what I always thought. I do believe that Star Trek got better when Roddenberry was not involved. Look at the movies, he was involved only with the first movie! Now, when are we going to see this happen to the other big franchise! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks