What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Star Trek: The Next Generation" Season Three (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
The number 9 is correct...I doubt the 10th movie, Nemesis, which hasn't been in theaters yet, could possibly make it to a DVD release this year. ;)
(The Motion Picture, The Wrath of Kahn, The Search for Spock, The Voyage Home, The Final Frontier, The Undiscovered Country, Generations, First Contact, and Insurection)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I think TOS had maybe a handful of real outdoor scenes, if even that many.
"Shore Leave" comes to mind. There were probably others, too, but I just woke up and can't think of them.
The location was a park called "Africa USA", and it wasn't a huge place: during chase scenes you pass the same tree several times! ;)

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
About the idea of a cloaked observation post in the rocks as seen in “Who Watches the Watchers?”. I saw it the first time in a TNG movie. Don’t remember which one but I think it could be Insurrection. Now I know where did they get that idea! :D

TheoGB

Screenwriter
The number 9 is correct...I doubt the 10th movie, Nemesis, which hasn't been in theaters yet, could possibly make it to a DVD release this year.
Ah. Since we were talking about the series I assumed it was the 'movie-length episodes' the article was talking about. D'oh!!
That means Torquil and I still have to wait for those unedited double-parters. :frowning:

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
The episode where Wesley is almost put to death most certainly had to be somewhat outdoors. For the life of me I can't remember the title, but that was season 1.

DanHaya

Second Unit
The episode where Wesley is almost put to death most certainly had to be somewhat outdoors. For the life of me I can't remember the title, but that was season 1.
John, you're thinking of the episode Justice. It was in the first season and, as I recall from the supplements in the Season 1 DVD set, was filmed at some kind of water treatment plant (or something of that ilk).

It was definitely one of the better episodes from that season...though probably remembered more for its eye candy than anything else. :wink:

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I seem to remember a sit of a Season 1 classic sets-wise. I rented a number of the four-episode tapes from Blockbuster at one point and there were two eps together where it was obvious it was the same set but they'd just redressed it. I can't remember which but quite likely it would have been around Skin of Evil, as I believe I rented out tapes with 'significant' episodes that I'd missed...:)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Well, Theo, I'm pretty sure that Skin of Evil would have been mostly filmed on the set that they nicknamed "Planet Hell", which is where they created most of the planets that the Away Team would beam down to. It was the same set where they first met the Ferengi, where Q challenged Riker, and where Geordi and a Romulan depended on each other for survival. It was designed to be versatile.

In Skin Of Evil, I would guess that the only shot that *may* have actually taken place outdoors would've been the eulogy shot at the end, on the holodeck. Just a guess, though.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
That "Eulogy" Scene was definately a matte or composite shot, it just looked so fake.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Well, the eulogy composited in the see-through hologram of the deceased, so that made it come off looking fake.
I'll just say that the clouds didn't look fake! ;)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Just wanted to comment on the whole uniform color issue.
TOS - Command & Operations? - Gold
- Sciences - Blue
- Security, Engineering & Support Services/ Operations? - Red
(Not sure where "operations" belongs as a department...mostly due to the DS9 episode "Trials & Tribblations")
TNG - Command - Red
- Sciences - Blue
- Security, Engineering & Operations - Gold
As far as I knew, Data was never given the title of "Chief Science Officer". I *do* think he was "Chief Operations Officer" or something of that ilk.
Wasn't this addressed in the DS9 Episode "Trials & Tribblations"? I remember Sisko saying something about "command officers wore gold...operations officers wore red" or something like that...then Dax came in saying "..and women wore less" and I forgot about everything else. :D
Anywho...just my take on things...I'm at work, so I can't refer to my geek library at home. ;)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I just had an opportunity to view a couple of the eps from the first disc of the Season Three release.

The video quality of these episodes (Evolution, Ensigns of Command, and The Survivors) seems much improved over the prior Season releases.

The colors seem better saturated, the contrast is definitely better, and the edge enhancement now just barely intrudes on just a very few scenes.

I did detect a few "specks" in a few places on Ensigns of Command; but the other two I viewed seemed pretty darn near perfect on my gear. I mean, these episodes are never going to look as good as modern anamorphic widescreen movies, but they are very pleasing for a late-eighties TV show. The Dolby Digital 5.1 mix also featured some kick-ass bass on a few scenes from these eps as well (such as when they were attacked by the alien ship in Survivors.)

So far Season Three is a winner!

Scott Varney

Agent
Just bought this set last night and while I'm satified with the video quality of the episodes (considering they were transfered 12 years ago, looks pretty good). My problem is all the supplements seem to be flagged with the fields interlaced improperly. I see a lot of tearing, even in the static interviews. Even the show clips demonstate this. Does anyone else see this or am I dreaming?
By the way, this is on a Panasonic RP56 through the progressive output into a Toshiba TW65H80.
Thanks,
Scott

JayJ

Auditioning
I ordered my Season 3 set from Playcentric.com for about $82. They have great prices, particularly on their boxed sets.

Hershel_S

Auditioning
I think the prices have stayed the same (someone earlier said it looked like they went up for the earlier ones?), at least around me...Wal*Mart still $100, Best Buy still $110, Borders still $125, Suncoast still $150.
Just checked DVDplant.com and they have this priced at just under $95 plus 2.50 shipping if that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks