What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Star Trek: The Animated Series (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
yep the writer of this and the trouble with tribbles has a coment track and mentions the same guy does the voice on the animated ep as in the live ep

kevin92

Auditioning
Real Name
kevin
Thanks for the review. I wasn't sure what to expect since I was 8 or 9 the last time I watched these and I vaguely remember the stories going over my head, now I see why. Even though TOS is my favorite Star Trek, I still remember it more fondly as a kid, so it's such a treat getting to watch TAS after all this time.

Well he was Christopher Robin among others http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0800916/

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I watched "Yesteryear" yesterday and I had forgotten just how good this was. It's really one of the best episodes of any Trek series. I know the animation is limited, but the visuals are great. The artwork and the stylish design are worth watching for. Also, I had forgotten how good the music was for this show.

Overall, very pleased with how this looks on DVD.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
That's what I'm looking for in these. The limited animation and music. Makes me wish more Filmation stuff would come out, like Gilligan's Island and Tarzan. It's all about nostalgia for many of us.

I can't wait to pick these up.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
I always liked Shore Leave from TOS and if I remember correctly, there was a sequel in TAS. I seem to remember they even showed the robot thingy that came out and got the bodies of people after they died (or something like that). I may pic this up or put it on my Christmas list.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I thought these would be fun, but I can't believe I'm enjoying these as much as I am. Especially considering the original actors are doing the voices. Some of these stories are the most mature I've seen in Saturday Morning Toons, at least from that Decade when you had shows like Scooby and Scrappy Doo running amuck. They also aren't afraid to use the word death, and die like most other toons are even in this day and age...

Just got done with the 'Magic' episode. Pretty fun explanation as to why all those magical happenings only appeared in the past and in text books, but not todays time :).

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

That music (most of it anyway, as there were some exclusive cues done for TAS) showed up in all Filmation shows of the early to mid 70's. I love it!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Star Trek: The Animated Series strattles the line between classic and nostalgia.

Interesting observation. I felt the same way when I saw some a these a few years ago. I can't wait to get the set.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I grew up on TOS reruns, but never got a chance to see much of the animated version. Nice to hear that the content is solid. I think my son will be old enough to share this with me next June (i.e., when the next DDD sale rolls around ;) ).

CoreyII

Second Unit

I agree, one of the reasons why I purchase old television series like Star Trek: The Animated Series and even something as corny as Buck Rogers in the 25th Century is because I feel like a little kid again when I watch these shows.

Radioman970, BCI/Ink & Paint, have been releasing many of the old Filmation shows. So far, the company has released Flash Gordon, The Space Sentinels/The Freedom Force, She-Ra: Princess of Power, The Groovie Ghoulies, Blackstar, and Ark II. All of these titles can be purchased at Bestbuy.

I know that Space Academy, Jason of Star Command, Bravestarr, and Isis is just around the corner. I'm not sure about Shazam, as there may be legal issues with DC comics.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I have the boxset laserdisc collection from the 80's. I have not seen an episode for a couple of years. But there was one episode where the animation had a glitch and the image on the Enterprise viewscreen actually extended outside the border of the screen.

I haven't opened the new DVD yet, but I'd like to compare it to the LD. I remember seeing this broadcast the first day on Saturday morning and it was Beyond The Farthest Star.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Nelson i have the LD set too. The DVD has so much better color and detail. I watched my LDs quite a bit in the last 10 years or so, and the DVD of this made it look like i was watching it for the first time, again. Of course its a 30 year old show, and you still have the occasional film defect. I think i read the animated series got the same remastering that the original show is getting, minus new effects of course. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey RickER- Thanks for the insight. I thought the LD's looked pretty good so it looks like I'm in for a real treat! So many DVD's recently to watch, I am overwhelmed! I was surprised to read that this release also has 5.1 audio. That should be interesting too.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

There are quite a few errors like that in the series. The doors to the bridge turbolift are often not present or misaligned, and due to the use of stock setups or footage, characters will be briefly seen on the bridge who have already been established as being somewhere else.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'm worried about Jason. There's been so many similar shows since then. Even movies like Ice Pirates might be better. But still...that nostalgia hook might be pretty high. It will be fun finding out. Weirdest thing is when things you remember seeing but can't recall where turn up in these kinds of shows. I love that!

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
I remember most of the shows that parallel the live show - Mudd's passion, More tribbles, Yesteryear (City on the edge). There were also some favorites I had that went beyond those first shows. The slaver weapon is a great episode, dealing with a morphing weapon, the Counter-clock Incident where they enter a Universe with white space and black stars. Time trap is a story-line that was also used later in the Voyager episode "The Void".

The last great Saturday morning animation show for me was 1991 "Pirates of Dark Water". One of the last great cartoons that featured only adults in lead roles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks