What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Star Trek: Nemesis - Special Collector's Edition (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Beam me off Scotty. After Insurrection I'm sure there were many who wondered if Star Trek could possibly get any worse, trekkies, trekkers and trekkiers I give you... Nemesis.

Good review Scott, I pretty much agree with your assessment of Trek X, the nadir of the movie series and that's even taking Star Trek "Row row row your boat" V into account.

As a Trek completist I had to have the special edition. I still like the characters, hated this story, the whole feel of the thing felt wrong. But a few good visuals and a couple of character moments save it from being a complete waste of time.

Shane Dodson

Stunt Coordinator

Actually, I was incorrect. NEMESIS opened Dec. 13th (a Friday). THE TWO TOWERS opened Dec. 18th (the following Wednesday). However, NEMESIS did have to complete with the other uber-geekfest THE TWO TOWERS and simply couldn't muster the box office.

While I acknowledge the film wasn't exactly a critical success, I do believe competition with THE TWO TOWERS affected the final box office tally. I can't prove this, however.

Regards,

- S.D.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I am a huge Star Trek fan and I thought Nemesis was very good. Far from being the worst Trek. IMO, it's the second best Next Gen film after First Contact.

Unfairly maligned in my humble opinion.

Definitely picking this up on Tuesday!:emoji_thumbsup:

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Well, I'll definitely be getting this, but I do still find it a frustrating movie. There are some good ideas, and there are moments that work, but as others have said, they just tried too hard to broaden the appeal.

I remember reading somewhere that it started out as "one for the fans," but it became something else. Nemesis was obviously designed to be the last TNG film if it needed to be, and it had to be apparent that hardcore fans were they only ones they had left, so why in the world wouldn't they want to gear it toward them?

I think the Shinzon plot could have gone somewhere, but the B4 situation was ridiculous. From the start, as they start to put B4 together, you'd think someone on that crew would have had the sense to say, "Remember what happened the last time we did this?"

Sigh, and yet here I'm still going to buy the thing. However, it does seem to be a generous set of extras, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing the rest of the deleted scenes.

Thanks for the review, Scott! It was very informative and we appreciate it very much.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'm "pouring" $12.99 + shipping from DVD Empire into this DVD since I knew they would eventually release a CE Edition, so I didn't buy it 1st time around. But I'm a "Hard Core" fan, so I would be buying anyway.

Patrick H.

Second Unit

As a long-time fan of most things Trekkish, I saw this opening weekend. Savvy friends had given me a decent idea of the plot, I had seen the trailers, avoided most reviews, and was fully enthused and ready to give it the benefit of any doubt.

It sucked. Totally and completely. It became a game of "where's the next scene going to be recycled from?", and even that wasn't entertaining. It made me feel embarrassed to be a fan. Scott's review hit the nail squarely on the head for me. I obviously won't be picking this one up...my collection of the film series ended happily at 'First Contact' (with a few odd-numbered omissions before then).

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'm a long time fan too, going back more than 30 years. I loved TNG and even found things to like in Insurrection, but Nemesis was just bad, IMO. I thought the situations in the movie betrayed the nature of the characters we came to know over 10 or 15 years.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Worst film of the Franchise hmm Well Don't know about that Trek V had all the wrong humor and a few good scenes (The Kirk, Spock, Mccoy Scene around the campfire) and a great soundtrack, but the film was creaky.. Nemesis was not that bad, and I'd place this ahad of Generations.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Nemesis was a bad rehash of The Wrath of Khan. Definitely time to move on when a franchise starts cannabilizing itself.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

It's pretty pathetic too: If you go back and look at the promotional materials for every film Rick Berman produced in the series, he is quoted as saying each time that "This film has the best villian since Khan." Every time! The saddest thing is that none of the TNG movie villians are very memorable.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Yeah. TOTALLY forgot about the Borg Queen. (sarcasm)

Hardy puts in a good performance. He sells it without chewing the scenery. Even Montalban did that, so did Plummer. Don't get me started on what people thought about Chris Lloyd in 1984.

I also thought Soran was a good villian too, even thought the material wasn't up to par.

Shane Dodson

Stunt Coordinator

I'll at least give Hardy credit for not delving into overacting as Ricardo Montalban and Christopher Plummer did on occassion. I love WRATH OF KHAN and THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY, but honestly, there were times I half-expected the villains to start twirling their moustaches (at least Plummer's character had one) and cackling with glee (come to think of it, Plummer did exactly that at one point).

Khan was a great villain, no doubt...made even greater by a performance of superlative ham by Montalban. Shinzon COULD have been just as hammy...but it would have seemed out of place in that particular movie.

btw, I think Alice Krige's Borg Queen is pretty memorable...perhaps not so much for her acting but for the amazing make-up and the creepy tone of the scenes she was in with Data.

Regards,

- S.D.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I still don't understand why they never used "Q" in a movie, although I agree the series somewhat diluted him as a true villian (although he sure was after "Q-Who") he was still popular enough given a good story it would've been big. I heard he had a falling out with the producers thou.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Well, given that he was in the final episode of the series, I would think that they would have wanted to stay away for awhile.

Though the movie had it's share of problems, I didn't think it was as bad as ItsErection, er... Insurrection. I'll be plunking my money down... again.

Ric

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Wil Wheaton had a few critical words about Stuart Baird that were posted on TheFandom.com that basically had Baird going around saying, "I don't care about Star Trek." Click on the link to hear the full MP3 interview with Wheaton.

Has anyone found the other two Easter eggs on the disc? In addition to the earlier-mentioned one about Bryan Singer's cameo, there's three in all.

Is anyone as dissatisfied as I am with the overlap case that was used for this release? It's the same one I noticed was used for last year's 2-disc release of "The Ten Commandments". At the very least they could have stayed with the same disc packaging as the nine previous films.

Hey Ric, now that all ten films have been issued in 2-disc sets, maybe you could do one of your beautiful custom art jobs for them to fit into the slimmer dual-disc cases? I got lucky a few weeks back and found a whole 10-pack at K-Mart for only $6.99, while the local Staples sells them for $9.99 - go figure. Anyway, maybe you could do some good new custom art for the 10 films... just a thought if you haven't already done so! :)

RichardCrowther

Stunt Coordinator
I don't suppose some nice person out there has captured any framegrabs and done a comparison of the two releases, have they? :b :)

I'm just wondering if there has been any significant improvemnt in picture quality this time (all the previous Next Generation Special Editions seemed to sacrifice picture quality to some degree or another, either through cropping, aliasing, print damage or a softer image).

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
As a long time Trek fan (back to 1986 when TNG premiered), I was mightily disappointed in Nemesis when my sister and I went opening night. Even she was critical of it...and she's not that big of a fan. I never understood why Q was not brought into the movies, although I understand some people being squemish on that based on his Voyager appearances.

This movie was not made for the fans; it was made for everyone else. There's a whole slew of questions no one bothers to think about, paramount among them...

When did Picard's DNA end up in Romulan hands?

I am going to get this tomorrow (funny, it wasn't in the CC ad) just to complete the series. And then I'm done with Trek on disc.

Shane Dodson

Stunt Coordinator

Hmmmm...can't say I ever bothered to think about that one. Then again, I sort of took it for granted that Romulan intelligence stole it during a spy mission. If memory serves, there was a bit of intergalactic espionage within the ST universe.

Granted, there were some pretty big holes in the plot, but that one wasn't one of them.

Can't wait 'till tomorrow...

Regards,

- S.D.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

I disagree. Logan is a huge Trek fan. Spiner & Stewart also had a hand in it.

This is what happens when you let the fanboys write. Ever read fan fiction? Most of it is TERRIBLE.

Nicolas Meyer is on record as not being a Trekker before he tackled ST:II. As a FILMMAKER he knew what works and what doesn't. That is the most important thing for a film!

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Star Trek VI (the most recent release) used a variety of different case styles and colors, including overlapping cases.
(And yes, I hate the overlapping cases, too!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks