What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Star Trek: Generations - Special Collector's Edition (1 Viewer)

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
I had the same problem with the CC glitch,but they did end up selling it to me because they couldn't get an answer as to why on the phone.

Personally,while I'd like the things that are wrong to be fixed properly - I thought that the most likely solution would be to redo the dvd covers.

Didn't feel like waiting,so I got mine...

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
Went to four stores (Wal-Mart, Circuit City, Best Buy and Target) and didn't find one. Oh well, they're all really close to each other so it only took five minutes.

Any word on when these will get out again? It can't possibly take two months for them to slap stickers on them and send them back out, can it? It's just such a ridiculous recall... there's gotta be more to the story.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
After reading here, my first attempt was at Best Buy on Sunday, hoping they'd have 'em out early, but that's never been the case at this local Best Buy, and Sunday was no exception.

I stopped again on the way home from work yesterday, saw nothing, asked again, and was told they had them but had to ship them back. "Something about 'music'" was the excuse.

At the other end of the same shopping center is a Borders. They had it - five copies. Grabbed one - no problem.

We watched the film last night, and I observed the obvious shimmering effects in places, but this transfer still beats out the old LaserDisc, my only prvious copy. I've not looked at the extras.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Now that a bunch of people have gotten this, can anyone with the previous dvd please tell us if this new transfer is better or worse than the previous transfer?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Killed some time yesterday in an FYE store and they had 5 copies of Generations SE (at $20 each) on sale.

Digital Bits is reporting the new official on-sale date is Sept. 28. Guess it takes three weeks to place stickers on the cases, covering the word "trailers."

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
george kaplan wrote:

I never picked up the original DVD, but everyone says that one's comparable to the LaserDisc transfer, which I do have. I found this new DVD's picture to be sharp and clear (too much so for some I suppose). The moire and shimmering effects are there, quite noticeable, but they weren't all that distracting to me. I found it a more pleasurable viewing experience than the LaserDisc was on my 32" Sony XBR TV. The colors were deep and saturated and detail in dark scenes was more discernable than the old transfer.

I listened to the Dolby Digital 5.1 sound track. It seemed quite adequate and comparable to the DD 5.1 AC-3 track on the LaserDisc.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher

And all I do is remove the sticker or move the inside cover to a new case & where right back to where we started. A misprinted inside back cover. Unless they are actually replacing the insert, A sticker is a waste of time.

What bugs me is Paramount is going through all this because of a misprinted cover. BFD!!! I'll pull about 5-6 DVD's from my shelf that have misprints on them in various degrees. My DVD of The Time Machine(1960) has a Music-Only track listed but it's not on the disc. WB didn't recall that when it came out. Fox didn't recall the Abyss because it said "Enhanced for 16x9 TV's" & it wasn't.

Unless there is some underlying issue that I'm not aware of, this is just a waste of time from how I see it on Paramount's part.

Peace.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
My local BB had them yesterday. I had to go to the sci-section to get them. I don't understand BB sometimes - they put a title in the "coming soon" banner, but then they don't always put the titles listed in the banner in the front, even if there's room for them. Odd.

Mike

Clark Bradley

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone had problems with disc errors? The first time I thought it was some dust, but lately when trying to return to the main menu from setup or scene selection or some of the extras...the DVD just freezes. This has happened on both discs.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
For anyone who can't find a copy I was able to get two. My local Best Buy had 2 copies and I snagged both. None of the other stores around (CC, Target, Walmart, CompUSA) had any out. If you can't find a copy and want one i'll sell my spare for not much more than what I paid. Since the recall doesn't appear to be super effective i doubt i'll be able to make any proffit, so i might as well help out someone who can't find it. Otherwise i'll just return it since it's still sealed.

Tony Scello

Second Unit
Sounds like I have a rare, out-of-print copy of this that lists trailers that are not actually on the disc! I should be able to afford the Matrix box set with the profit I'm going to make on eBay;)

Seriously, it's hard to believe that Paramount is going throught the trouble and expense to delete 2 or 3 words on the back of the DVD sleeve. They do deserve some credit for deciding to quickly correct an error where most studios wounldn't bother. As I think some one pointed out, Halloween H2O was sold for years listing an audio commentary with Jamie Lee Curtis and director Steve Minor that was NEVER on the disc. To this day, I'm not sure if this commentary was ever actually recorded or not but it was listed on the packaging for a very long time.

I only wish they had recalled the discs to put the trailers on because they were left off due to an omission.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Well I guess the transfer won't be fixed after all. Looks like we'll have to wait for HD-DVD for that.

Regarding all the examples of movies that have errors on the packaging, I think you'd have to agree that none of them are as big and drew as much attention as any Star Trek movie featuring William Shatner. Abyss might be a possible exception, but on that release, we're talking about mislabeling regarding 16:9 enhancement, not missing content. Couple that with the extremely vigilant (i.e. obsessive) fan base that Star Trek property has, and I'm not entirely shocked Paramount is doing this.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Oh, I'm sure we'll see many, many more DVD re-releases of the Star Trek movies. Maybe one of them will have trailers.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member

Well then maybe Paramount should have shown the fans the proper respect by giving them a good transfer and the missing trailers. Or maybe that's just me.

Picked it up anyway. Best Buy said they were out (wonder how many they got), but went to FYE and they had it for the same 14.99 I'll check out the Special Features tonight and maybe do a comparison with the old disc. I seem to remember seeing some funky Data skin shimmering on that one as well.

Oops, now that I think about it, I think it was on Nemesis that I noticed the prob with Data's make-up.

Ric

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
My Best Buy didn't have Generations, but they were also sold out of Clerks, so I went to the Best Buy in Tampa since Clerks was in stock there and they had Generations. I picked up a copy.

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
The Digital Bits is reporting that 9/28 is the new street date. What a stupid delay. This was gonna tide me over until Star Wars... now it's just anticlimactic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks