1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Star Trek: Generations - Special Collector's Edition

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Scott Kimball, Aug 30, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

What, you have ST5? Now that's dedication.

2. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    [Thread Troll] This will continue to be the only ST movie not in my collection because it's not a film worth owning. (Yes, worse than ST5!) [/Thread Troll]

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I agree. Color saturation is superior, and so is detail.

As noted, the problems with this transfer are not caused by "edge enhancement", which is fast becoming a catch-all term for any video issue. It's aliasing, which continues to be a problem on some transfers, though far less often than in the LD era.

I have the LD and both DVDs. This is by far the best version.

M.

4. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

I hadn't seen it prior to purchasing the DVD. So maybe this means that I'm more tolerant of questionable content than questionable video quality [​IMG] .

Doug

5. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim
    I was able to borrow the new anamorphic release and compare it to the older non-anamorphic release that I already own.

I was surprised to see that the problems noted in the new release are also in the old release. However, due to the softer picture of the old release, they don't stand out quite as much.

So, since the new release can be found at such a low price, has the extras, and the overall quality is better (IMO), then I will be purchasing the new version.

Hope this comparison helped someone. If someone already posted a comparison, my appologies.

JimmyK

PS - This comparison was on a 40" Tosh 40H80 tube rear projection set calibrated by Gregg Loewen.

6. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

I just finished listening to the commentary by Moore and Braga. I've never heard two people be so critical of a film they worked on. I realize Moore is a sharp guy, but this commmentary affirmed the complaints I've always heard about Braga. He does not have a clue.

Peace,

DM

7. mikey ra

mikey ra Stunt Coordinator

On the featurette "Visual Effects - Crashing the Enterprise" did anyone else's copy show lines and blips on the screen during some of the outdoor parts where they showed the prep work for the crashing of the model. I thinks its on the video source used to make this featurette, but I wanted to confirm this isn't a problem with my copy.

8. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Went and ordered the original R2 PAL release. Looks pretty good. Shame about the R1 SE transfer especially when "First Contact" just got stellar reviews....