What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Star Trek: Generations - Special Collector's Edition (1 Viewer)

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I think the old ST:IV had a feature with Leonard Nimoy explaining the benefits of widescreen vs. pan-and-scan that is not on the new version. But (as far as I can tell) there are no changes to the movie itself.

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
I've got a quick question for you all: Who is the person overseeing the menu design for the Star Trek Special Collectors Edition DVDs? I absolutely love the menus on these things.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I mean the original DVD release (not theatrical). Only Star Trek 2 is different on the original DVD than the special edition. The rest are the exact same movies. Right?

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
Just picked this up at Best Buy, which I searched after the original release date to no avail. Guess what, it was the recalled packaging, no correction sticker. What was the point? This was going to give me something to do while waiting for Star Wars, now I don't know when I'll get around to it (still 3 commentaries to watch, and need to rewatch the trilogy proper as well).

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Yes and only Star Trek 2 has changed for the new 2-disc DVDs? By the way, is it better or worse? How much is changed?

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Star Trek II has a few additions (trims) and slightly different takes for a few scenes. Most notably when Scotty identifies Cadet Preston as his sister's youngest (nephew) during the engine room inspection. It's neither better nor worse, the trims don't add much, and a few of the alternate takes substituted were better in the theatrical cut (IMHO...the Saavik & Kirk conversation in the turbolift). The transfer looks the same...which is good.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
But why? I mean why they touch a film that is already great (and I suppose they didn't add any new special effects)!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Has the corrected version been released? I was at Best Buy today and they told me they did not have the title in. In addition Border's said that the title was also not available.
Is there a new date for the fixed version? I'd like to get the disc!

Thanks!

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
I noticed that DVD Empire and Laser's Edge both show the release date as 9/28/04. I'm surpised there wasn't more hoopla about the corrected version being ready for release. Maybe I just slept through the announcement. That's been know to happen.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Whoa. This is the sharpest transfer ever. There should have been some high frequency filtering applied. The upside is that there's no EE whatsoever. Nutty. I wonder how this transfer looks like on an interlaced display.

AWESOME DTS, btw.

John Alderson

Supporting Actor

You don't want to know. Better detail (and color) than the first release, naturally, but the shimmer is about as bad, IIRC.

Allan^L

Stunt Coordinator
It finally came out today for me. Other than the extreme edge enhancement, the picture is quite good and the DTS track is great. I'd say Nemesis has a better track though despite being non-DTS. The latter movie just has a ton more sound effects and the battle scene is about twenty times longer.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Well, it looks like some EE in some of the daylight scenes, unfortunately. It makes me wonder what the hell they did during the encoding process. Probably had some stupid co-op student doing it.

Edwin_H

Stunt Coordinator
I just watched about the first 20 minutes. Dear god it has the most shimmering edges I've seen on a major release in anamorphic widescreen. It looked really really bad to me. It's like some monkey decided to turn up the sharpness to the max. This is painful to watch. Awesome DTS track though!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks