What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Star Trek: First Contact - Special Collector's Edition (Recommended) (1 Viewer)

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
On a completely unrelated note, I've always thought that First Contact had an absolutely beautiful musical score. I could listen to that main theme over and over again. :emoji_thumbsup:

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I probably will get this eventually, but as an owner of the original ST DVDs it's harder to justify upgrading the titles with 16x9 transfers.

I generally don't upgrade for extras (Heat SE), but will upgrade for a longer cut (Almost Famous Bootleg).

I also wish that the newer ST CEs came with inserts...

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I too was at First Contact at the now deceased Astor Plaza opening nite. Was a great crowd and vibe. Oh well.....
:frowning:

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Just a tip to people who will be getting theirs from Best Buy. At mine at least, the DVD had been placed in the TV SciFi section! Not necessarily the employees fault because the label had it categorized as so. I work there and we do have to place product where the label says so hopefully this will be corrected soon.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

i didnt see that anyone else asked after a very quick search.
but is this dvd's dts track 6.1(rear center ss)?

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
i didnt see that anyone else asked after a very quick search. but is this dvd's dts track 6.1(rear center ss)?

Nope. Just English DTS.

Stan Rozenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
This is my favorite Star Trek film, and at the current reasonable price, I'll get it, but what I am really looking forward to is the impending hd-dvd release later in the year. This is one of the 10 or so titles announced that really make me want to get an hd-dvd player. Sorry if I was a bit off-topic, but I can only imagine how great this film will look in hd-dvd!

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Our Best Buy sets up a separate table for all the DVDs that are in the weekend's ads. That way, you don't have to hunt the shelves for the new/on sale stuff.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I just popped the new First Contact disc into my player, and the transfer absolutely just looks gorgeous via my Infocus DLP projector setup. The old First Contact disc always appeared slightly too dark. This transfer alone is worth the upgrade price, irrespective of the additional abundance of provided extras.

Speaking of which, I activated the Okuda "Trivia Track" for about five minutes and was delighted to see that they're now using the "pop-up"-like methodology to display the trivia. The first time I saw this was on the recent TOS season boxes, but this is the first time I think it's been utilized for a Star Trek feature film.

Great job!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
here some note for all trailer fans and owners of the original region 1 dvd release of first contact...

on the old dvd the trailers have dolby digital 2.0 surround and true dolby digital 5.1 audio. for some reasons paramount dropped the 5.1 audio on the collector's edition which i find is a loss as the audio is pretty darn good.

so to those who still have the old dvd you may think of keeping it if the trailer means anything to you.

cheers,
enrico

ps: the same thing was done by paramount with star trek 5: old dvd had trailers in dolby 5.1 and c.e. only the 2.0

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Definitely one of the better releases out there! Some real substance in the featurettes... did anybody think that the "Making of First Contact" was more a back-slapping fluff piece than it should have been? The HBO First Look special was a bit more substantial than this, at the very least more encompassing in 30 minutes than the DVD featurette did in 20 minutes.

By far the best featurette overall was the Jerry Goldsmith tribute. Rick Berman was surprisingly joyous and yet very melancholy in talking about Goldsmith's talent and loss last year and feeling it on both a professional and a personal level - quite rare indeed.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Did anyone notice on the Teaser Trailer that evidently, at the time, the effects shots hadn't been completed for the Enterprise-E, because all the exterior shots for the Enterprise were from either the TV show or Generations? I never noticed that before, I guess since I hadn't seen the teaser trailer since it first premiered in theaters.

The movie looked absolutely stunning. Great clarity, the colors in the background were beautiful, first rate all the way. It was like watching it for the first time -- aside from knowing all the music cues, dialogue and plotting. LOL!

KyleC

Supporting Actor
My one gripe with the original disc was that the bass was almost non existent. How is the new transfer?

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
My one gripe with the original disc was that the bass was almost non existent.

Well, there's bass, but it's evenly mixed, not ostentatious in the modern fashion. It's a good representation of what you would have heard in a theater in winter, 1996.

As for the dts debate, the actual box for First Contact and the actual set-up menu screen for sound both say "English dts", not 6.1, and unlike all my other dts-es discs, the disc does not flag as dts-es. It simply comes up as good ol' dts.

I'll check in a little while to see if there is a dts-es track on this. As of now, I'd say no.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

And if you look real close, one of the shots is actually the primary hull of the NCC-74656 firing phasers on the Borg. That ship (NCC-74656) being the Voyager. I don't remember that shot EVER being in an episode, and as Ron and Brannon point out in the commentary, the movie was made during Voyager's first season...before the Borgies ever show up.

Just a little food for thought.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
I got my DVD today and can confirm Ernest Rister's comment about the DTS track. It's only DTS 5.1 audio, there is no ES 6.1 Matrix or Discrete track. And the DD track is only DD 5.1, no EX audio track.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
daryl, ernest, have either of you listened to see if you hear a seperate rear ss channel?

i know it doesnt neccesarily mean there is one but putting my denon into matrix mode i can hear seperated sounds coming from both left and right and center back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks