What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Spider-Man" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

aldamon

Second Unit
Does anyone think the sound was impressive in the theater? I thought it was OK, but nothing amazing.
Anyway, thanks Ron. This DVD is still on my X-Mas list :)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
If I do end up getting this movie (I just have to say Superman The Movie is still the definitive comics movie IMHO), it'll definitely be the SuperBit version. You KNOW Sony is going to pull this again.

Should have been a SuperBit Deluxe (with maybe one commentary track at 192 kilobits/sec) with only the movie and DTS/DD tracks on the first disc from the start.

Sony, Disney, and Universal are baffling me!

Dan

MichaelG

Second Unit
No question about this one, loved the movie, as long as they didn't ruin the transfer and give us something a la Highlander (that first crappy version) I was getting it.

Jedrek

Stunt Coordinator
Great review Ron! While I'm a newbie poster, I've been reading your reviews for quite some time and I ALWAYS appreciate their consistence in excellence. Awesome work!

On a side note, I thought Spider-Man was a very enjoyable and entertaining movie, and is in my opinion, number 3 on the list of the best super hero movies (Batman and Batman Forever come before, for me).

I was originally going to get the gift set, but theres so darn many DVDs coming out this winter that I want, I'll have to settle for the 2-disc on its own so I'll have enough for the others.

Declan

Second Unit
Suprising to hear about the sound as i thought it was great when I seen it twice at the flicks, once in Dolby Digital and the other was a DTS version. Both sounded great with a good bit of subtlety in the rears. I was surprised actually by how good it DID sound at the flicks. Especially with the Green Goblins voice circling around you in the rears.

I'm sure the DVD is'nt that bad.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I liked the DD 5.1 mix. Sounded very good for a DD track... not as compressed as DD tracks can sometimes be. Nicely balanced, and while the surrounds are not constantly "on" (as in, say, The Phantom Menace), there is enough to immerse you into the film. The surround effects are excellent during the scene of Osborn trying to determine the location of his alter-ego's voice. Bass during the few explosions rumbled and rocked.

As a comparison, I played Goldeneye the other night, and what I thought had been a decent mix (hadn't seen it in a while) sounded flat, compressed, and with overcooked bass.

Just my 2c.

Joe

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
I know someone earlier mentioned the World Trade Center shot... is that going to be anywhere in the DVD release?

...sorry if this was covered in another thread?

scott.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Scott,

There will be no mention of the World
Trade Center on the DVD.

Brenton

Screenwriter
Which is a shame. It seems that the media is trying to pretend that it never happened. I find that offensive. They underestimate the strength and integrity of the American spirit.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Wow! Some true Spidey fans on this thread, yeah lets not buy it now while its hot, lets wait a few years for the high-definition version!;)
Kidding, I'm not a huge Spider-Man fan, I mean compared to other biggies like LOTR and AOTC it's just a colorful diversion, but I will def be buying it, heck its only £15 over here and it was better than the last two Batmans.
Hmmm wonder if 'Kirsten Dunst in the pouring rain' bit looks sharper in superbit?:D

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
thanks, Ron.
I'm glad to see all of the true Spidey fans, as well!! :) Welp, I'm definitely buying the version (widescreen, of course) on 11/01! woo hoo!
scott.

greg_t

Screenwriter
I was thinking the same thing as Brenton. I guess they want to pretend like the Trade Centers never existed. Maybe they thought it was offensive, but I'm more offended that it's not there. We need to remember what happened. Anyway, I'll still be buying this one next friday. Kmart has it for $14.87. As for the sound, I also remember the sound of the goblin's voice circling around the room from the surrounds. Here's still hoping for a superbit with DTS!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
In regard to the WTC towers we've already been over this issue a number of times. The reasoning that was behind not showing the Towers on this dvd release will never be satisfactory to some of you, but the decision was made and the dvd is out. However, let's not forget that at least one more dvd release is going to happen for this film which means that perhaps, the timing will be right at that time to show the Towers.

Crawdaddy

TysonK

Agent
Anybody buying the Gift Set? I loved the film but can't decide whether to buy the Gift Set or not.....Does anybody here think the Gift Set is worth $40 which is what most retailers are selling it for.

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
There is still one shot in the film that included the towers, here's the shot from Ron's review:

Look in the far background.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks