What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Speed" (Five Star Collection) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Just picked this up. Went through the supplements first, about to watch the main feature, but already found at least one easter egg on here.
On the main menu of disc two highlight ACTION SEQUENCES and press right. A small Icon appears and takes you to the DVD credits. Go through all the credits until on the last page a new icon appears. Click on it for one of the funniest supplements I have seen in a whilethe edited version of the bus crashing into the plane. It was edited to be shown on an airplane and as not to offend or frighten travelers. It is so badly edited it is hilarious!

More as I find em, about to watch the movie now though.

MikeDE

Second Unit
This is already on the shelf at my local "we sell everything for less" store. $19.63 for two discs, DTS...yeah, wait no more.

Mike

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
As usual, Ron nailed this set. It's amazing. (You can see my review at the link below, but I doubt anyone here needs to read another review for this no-brainer DVD purchase!)
This DVD is one of my new favorites; tons of special features and two commentaries supporting one of the true 'classic' modern action flicks. :emoji_thumbsup:
A friend highly recommends the Gordon/Yost track, so I'm looking forward to that one!

Michael Silla

Second Unit
Got my copy this evening. As Ron said this is an impressive transfer. Haven't had a chance to review the extras yet.

Wonderful DTS track makes a already kick ass movie that much better. One of my better purchases in the last 6 months.

Michael.

IanS

Stunt Coordinator
I was at Metro Video in Montreal and they have the new SPEED DVD's all piled up on the back wall/customer service in full view , along with Collateral Damage, but they wouldn't sell me one, saying they'd get a fine. What BS.

Have to wait till Tuesday and pick it up at Futureshop for $5 less.

Dan Kaplan

Stunt Coordinator
If anyone is looking for a great deal, I just picked up the Speed Collector's pack (Speed Five Star and Speed 2 DTS) for $23 shipped on eBay, brand new and sealed. The seller had several others at the time, but I'm not sure if there are any more available. Here's the list of what he's got currently, if anyone's interested:
Link Removed
I just got done watching Speed and have to agree it is greatly improved. I did notice a few video artifacts, but only because they stood out with being surrounded by so much perfection. :) The only thing that bothered me is the picture seemed too dark, especially in scenes with a lot of black uniforms (cops). Is that what Ron meant in the review by it being a soft picture? I have my video calibrated pretty well, and this seemed significantly darker than most movies. I still have the original DVD release, so maybe I'll try comparing a few such scenes...
Dan

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I picked it up two weeks ago and I think I can safely say that Speed may be my all time favorite action film! Die Hard coming in a close second.
I fell in love with it all over again, I watched the film twice in one weekend, and went through all of the supplements in one sitting! Jan DeBont has created an action film that has yet to be matched in terms of sheer kinetic, and exciting high velocity energy! What separates action films like this from crap like xXx is it's story is so real and so terrifying.
Coming from someone who commutes to work every morning on a bus, I can tell you first hand that a bus is a creaky, shaky unstable vehicle...you do not want to rely on one going over 50 all the time. This fact ups the ante for me with this movie, I can picture it happening on my bus one morning!

DeepakJR

Second Unit
Real Name
Deepak
After having this set since release date, i poped in disc 2 today for the first time and it wouldnt load. My Sony DVD plyer would say "C 13:00" on the bottom right. I popped it into my computer and laptop DVD drives, and the drive would just spin and not play on PowerDVD. Anyone else's 2nd disc do this? I think ill have to go to Best Buy tomorrow...

l8rz,
Deepak Jr.

Michael Taylor

Stunt Coordinator
I was really unimpressed with Speed the first time I saw it. For some reason, I can believe that aliens use humans as living hosts and burst from their chests, but cannot, for the life of me, believe for a second that a *bus* can jump a huge gap in a bridge, no matter how fast it is going.
For me, that is where the movie should have ended. However, since the transfer and extra features look great and every body looks at me like I've grown a second head when I tell them I really don't like Speed, I am going to give the movie a second chance and pick up the disc. If nothing else, it will fit nicely next to all the other 5-Star DVDs I have.

Dan Kaplan

Stunt Coordinator
Watch the disc 2 making of the bus jump sequence.
Your disbelief of its possibility will be reinforced when you see how quickly it drops, despite the whole crew saying how perfectly it played out.

I always thought they should have gone with a shell of a bus -- half the weight or something -- just to make the motion through the air more convincing. Heck, wasn't CGI advanced enough at the time to make a flying bus look real?
A solid metal object has to be easier to animate than a dinosaur! Still, the movie was so creative (in its own uncreative way) and gripping that I'm usually able to forgive that one major flaw.

Dan

Steve Spin

Grip
Real Name
Steven Spinelli
Just curious,
Did anybody think the DTS track was a bit "tinny"?
It didn't sound that way on the DD track.
I even got out my DTS Laserdisk copy and it sounded a lot better!
Did anybody else notice this?
Steve

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Holy Smokes! What a great 2-disc set!
Hadn't realized the amount of extras on this one.
A veritable smorgasbord for the DVD lover!
Where to start....that must be the biggest
concern when one pops in the supplements' disc!
At under twenty clams, this is certainly one
of the better buys of the year!
Kudos once again, Ron, for yet another incredibly
comprehensive review! You've probably sold more
product due to these reviews than you can shake
a stick at! :)

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I found the DTS on this disc to be less dynamic and more "compressed" sounding than the DD. It's strange as I usually always prefer DTS. I must admit when it comes to watching this one DD is my choice!

David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks