What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Sin City - RECOMMENDED (1 Viewer)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Finally watched it on Saturday and I must say, it had me glued to the chair. I watched it on the Sony 520 using the Zenith DVB 318 upscaled to 1080i and I must say, this picture was beautiful. Definetly top 5 in my book. Mickey Rourke's character was shown perfectly and in very impressive detail. The pores on his face was incredible prominent as well as the light glistening in the drops of blood in certain scenes was simply beautiful. I think the best scene was when he visited his parole officer and all she was wearing was a thong visually using the Zenith and the Sony on that scene.., well..., let's say, it's still etched in my head. Sin City is one beautiful looking film and I must say the film itself is not only great, but the two compliment each other. :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: simply because the video is so beautiful. I agree a must have in any videophile's collection. Keep it on top for demos with friends and family.

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
I just can't get enough of this movie! People at work are starting to get annoyed because I talk about it so much. "You haven't seen Sin City? What's wrong with you?"

I think I'm going to get fired. That's okay, that just means.....more Sin City!!!!!:emoji_thumbsup:

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Bit of a bump here... been saving this for a rainy day cuz the weather's been too nice.

WOW - Picture on this is amazing, the sound is excellent but not the reason to buy this.

This isn't a film where you're focusing on your listening skills. The visuals combined with the dialogue are enough of a drain on the senses. The film is complete with an excellent script and numerous shock factor(s).

It's analogous to a moving comic book. We don't focus on the auditory effects there either.

Yes definitely 4.5 :star:'s and a must for demo'ing your HT visuals - just be careful who your audience is.

(All the EE stuff in this thread is hilarious - reading through the opinions, all I can think of is "The Emperor's New Clothes.")

Herschel

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I'm finally getting around to watching this movie, and after hearing the weird noises on so much of the dialogue I had to pause it halfway through to look for reviews to make sure my center speaker wasn't broken. I was beginning to get worried until I found the posts in this thread from people who are hearing it also.

It's extremely obvious on my system, and it's driving me nuts. It sounds a lot like the kinds of artifacts you get when you convert a sound file to 8-bit audio. There's a high-pitched component to it as well. Sometimes it sounds more like background noise/tape hiss, though. I wonder if it's on-set dialogue that should have been ADR'd because of these issues, but wasn't?

It's really distracting. On the plus side, after seeing this thread, at least I know that I didn't blow a speaker or something... :)

One of the worst ones is the line that made me pause the movie and look for the reviews: 57:45 into the movie, the line "enjoy the show". The "Oooh" at 57:58 is really bad as well. All of Rosario's dialogue in that scene has the noise, but those are some of the worst ones. Strangely, it's only her; Clive Owen's dialogue sounds fine in that scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks