What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Signs" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
but this film is tedious, badly written, with incredibly cheesy...
Daniel_M, I am with you on this one. I view Shyamalan as a bit of a one-hit wonder. I saw this opening weekend, and I thought it was horrid. I keep reading tense, scary etc. The only time we jumped in the theater, is when a dog barks, and jumps into frame. I think the premise/and cross-genres were fine, but nothing new. It was the writing and acting that was a miss for me. Some scenes were just horribly laughable. A significant percentage of people didn't care for it and weren't all that scared , why is this so shocking to you?
Thanks again for another great review (as always) Ron, but this one stays off my rack.
Seriously, Hitchcock?! :rolleyes::laugh:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, I finally got around to watching the dvd and based on seeing this film twice during it's theatrical run, the video presentation of the dvd looks about the same as in the theater especially the scenes at night. Now, as far as comparing Night to Hitchcock, I wouldn't go that far at this time, but Night at 32 years old is not doing too badly with his first three major releases. I like his style and appreciate his effort in allowing people to use their imagination while viewing his films. Night is a very talented writer and director who hopefully, will get better with age.

Crawdaddy

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
ALERT Anyone owning an Apex 600A can expect not to be able to play SIGNS in widescreen. The picture fills the screen and is vertically squeezed - no changing of settings will help. Another of the two dozen or so (so far) titles which this machine will not play properly, if at all (i.e. STUART LITTLE, SINBAD AND THE EYE OF THE TIGER, ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN OF THE HIMALAYAS, THE DEVIL RIDES OUT, etc.)

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Seriously. I live waaaay out in the country in a house as isolated as the one depicted in Sign's, but it was the "whats out there at night aspect" that made it uneasy for me to watch.
I would say that ultimately whether one likes this film or not is dependent on your personal philosophy of life. If you find the ending impossible or meaningless, then you won't like the film. Such people choose to ignore that many people report similar experiences, albeit usually much less dramatic and complicated. That said, I'm glad we live in a society where everyone is free to make up their own mind about all these things.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks