What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Showgirls - V.I.P. Edition (1 Viewer)

Chris Rein

Stunt Coordinator
The "Flipper having Sex" scene in the pool was worth the price of admission alone. I remember FALLING out of my seat in laughter during that scene. I know what it feels like to to a belly flop. I wonder how many times they did this scene? OUCH! My guess is they did that scene first, she got a massive brain hemmorage and the rest of the film fell apart. Just a guess. ;)

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
That is the first time I have ever heard the word talented and Joe Eszterhas used in the same sentence.

Todd_B

Second Unit
The funny thing is, I wasn't going to buy this, but (on a wim) I put my copy of the current disc up for sale on Amazon and w/i (I kid you not) 5 minutes I got a confirm saying it was sold!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

..so I have this up for pre-order now

Todd B

Sebastien S

Second Unit
Just received my copy today, really nice set!

Note that I ordered this from Quebec/Canada no less and the packaging that I got is NOT bilingual... It is English ONLY!!!

Ben Silva

Stunt Coordinator
Every time I hear about Showgirls I can't help but be reminded of a quote from Scream 2. Jamie Kennedy is asked what his favorite scary movie is and he replies: Showgirls: absolutely frightening! :D

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Jason,
i seem to have the exact same responses to this film as you have.
ever few years i will find myself picking up the dvd case and looking at it (ok i admit it- i find Berkley physically quite attractive) and my head will be filled with "y'know this is a camp classic...all i need to do is watch it in the right frame of mind and i can start to appreciate this howler"
i enjoy a lot of bad movies and keep a couple dozen in my collection, 'cause i always seem to enjoy going back to them-
but every single time i've given this film another shot- i came to the same conclusion you write about in your review-

there is just very little that is actually fun in this film.
and Berkley is exactly as you described.
she plays the part at such a constant abrasive pitch that is just too numbing to ever descend into the "so bad is good" category.

another part of the problem is Veerhoevens track record.
i have a high regard for both Total Recall and Starship Troopers.
the latter especially has vaulted up in my subsequent viewings after i first dismissed it as an Aliens retread.
i know many people who consider the film junk, so Showgirls always seems to float in my mind as another possible misunderstood Veerhoeven B-movie.

but no...its just junk.

that nudie poster does sound nice though...

Eric Ansley

Auditioning
quote:
This movie was made for drag queens. Notwithstanding its abundant female nudity, it's larget following is gay men
... ....and you know this because............?

Well, I can't Speak for him, but as a Gay male I can tell you that Showgirls is more popular among Gay Men than almost anyone...I've been to and had a few Showgirls screenings over the years, and it's almost ALWAYS Gay men, or mostly Gay Men, that show up to these things. I think It's been off everyone else's radar for the last several years. And while I'm quite sure there are straight men who like it for obvious reasons..I think the Campiness factor won out on this one in the long run. I do love that while the movie was made to make $$$ off titilating horny straight dudes, it's biggest following turned out to be gay guys ( And, in all fairness, our like minded straight friends :) )

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor

Listen to the audio commentary on the disc. The film found its audience with late night showings hosted by drag queens. It's simply the campiest film made since Mommie Dearest. The movie isn't in the slightest bit erotic so I can't imagine what any straight man would see in it, other than its vulgarity.

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
I'd actually agree with the spectacularly untalented assessment earlier...and Zelwegger isn't even perty to look at...except for Nicole Kidman, who is really showing herself to be an excellent actress in recent years. Julia and Zeta Jones are, and always will be, lightweights. Zelwegger I simply can't stand, so maybe I'm biased. :D But if they are spectacularly untalented, then what category does Elizabeth Berkley fall into? The dark abyss of hell? :D

I might actually pick up this DVD for the same reason I bought "Plan 9 from Outer Space" a couple of years ago. :)

-Dennis

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG

How about for the gorgeous Gina Gershon, whom I'll watch in any movie? :) (Though I understand she's something of a lesbian icon... guess that makes me a lesbian then. ;) )

Or how about those utterly OTT "sexy" scenes with Liz Berkley, which are hilarious. Her whole performance is a revelation, in fact, for those of us that grew up with Saved By The Bell.

It may not be an erotic movie, but Verhoevan can still frame a shot, and I always find his sledgehammer subtlety entertaining. :emoji_thumbsup:

Niko Nykanen

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone read "Hollywood Animal"? (by Joe Eszterhas, spelling?)

Naomi, his wife wrote this part about Showgirls:

Oh yay.
Excellent book btw.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member

Well Jason, NOT in comparison to the old edition. I guess trees aren't green in Vegas?

Old Edition

'VIP'edition

I've compared the old and the new VIP....

MGM (Std) - Region 1 - NTSC "Showgirls" vs. MGM (VIP) - Region 1 - NTSC

Well, lets see what is wrong with the new "VIP" edition - cropping, faded colors, contrast... hmmm.... I would say this new DVD is one big screwup...

http://www.compare.dvdbeaver.com/

Regards,

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
A shitty movie gets two shitty DVD releases: I guess there’ll never be justice for “Showgirls” until HD-DVD maybe?

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Movie was a Bomb!
VIP DVD (video quality) is a Bomb!
The fans of this movie get ripped off more than clothes in this movie.

Niko Nykanen

Stunt Coordinator
When we "fans" buy this movie, we´re not exactly expecting any quality ok? So the PQ is just fine. Never seen it better. (yes, i´m one those billions that dig NOT see this movie theaterically. ;))

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know how the movie is supposed to look? The trees arent as green in the new addition, but I imagine that to be a more accurate deptiction of the dessert climate in vegas.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member

Hmmmm...

I suppose it may intentionally look this way... like these skin tones that are absurdly red. They almost look like aliens... but of course it is Vegas with a hot sun, but they look "red" not tanned... and the cropping could be the way it looked in the theatre and the edge enhancement (also noted HERE) may be a special technique Verhoeven used...

Old Edition

VIP edition

I don't think its unrealistic to say this new version is a dud.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks