What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Serenity (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Agreed, but part of that was caused by the quick exit from theaters. I'm a huge Joss/Firefly fan, but Serenity disappeared from local theaters after 2 weeks, so I had to wait for the DVD.

Dan_J_H.

Stunt Coordinator
Never saw Firefly. I rented Serenity and showed it to a friend and we both could not stand it! We both kept saying, "what the hell is going on!" Too much talk and not enough action. We were both nodding off at times. I believe one should not have to view the Firefly series to understand what is going on in the movie. The movie should stand on its own and at least do a better job of helping us understand what the hell is going on. Glad I did'nt blind purchase this one!

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Serenity was actually pretty well self-contained. From the problems you had with it, I doubt you would have liked it any better had you seen the series.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Dan, you guys should have seen it when you were not sleep-deprived! (Or maybe you had too much beer! :D )

I've had people nodding off in my Home Theater before - falling asleep during an awesome battle in "Return of the King" for example.

This is why I never screen movies for others late at night or to people who just got back from binge drinking at a bar - it isn't worth the bulb life of my projector if they are going to pass out in the middle of a battle!

No lights + drunk or sleep-deprived people = passed out audience. Perhaps the only thing to keep these people awake is to play a raunchy comedy...something like "Old School" or "Billy Madison" or other classic fare - it won't tax their drunken higher-order function brain cells as much - the extra alcoholic-enhanced bloodflow could go to the reptilian side of the brain. Think life support in intensive care with a laugh track and dirty jokes! ;)

*this post is a joke - except the part about my not screening movies for drunks and narcoleptics*

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
No matter when you start a story you show up somewhere in the middle. The knowledge that Serenity was based on the series is what terrified people.

Example. When Kaylee has her first scene with Simon and she says "not that you spit..." I guarantee people were like "Oh... something must have happened on the show... they were lovers and they had some kind of fight. I'm so confused."

If they'd gone into the movie without preconceived notions they'd do the logical thing and assume she's got a crush on someone else on crew who doesn't notice her.

I've yet to meet a single person who was confused by the events of the film when they went into it not knowing there was a series. Really hoping Universal sees sequel potential. It seems that, like the original series, it's getting more popular AFTER the initial release...

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Good news, interesting news...

Twelve episodes of Firefly will air back-to-back on the Sci-Fi channel this coming Friday, starting at 7:00am Central time.

Now for the interesting news...

Whedon: No More Firefly

Firefly/Serenity creator Joss Whedon told USA Today that he still hopes to tell more stories set in the futuristic universe, but added that there's no chance he'll do another Firefly TV show.

More:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=1&id=33982

- Steve

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Great movie. Watched it Sunday night since I had Monday off and I must say, these actors were not blockbuster actors and I enjoyed them all. Great storyline and that whole Reavers (sp) thing made for some interesting viewing. This one goes in the most frequently watched bin.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I never saw Firefly before I watched Serenity, and all I knew about it is that it was a sci-fi series. I had no problem at all figuring out the story. Heck, the opening scene spells out the scenario, and it's not difficult to follow the rest of it. Newbies lose some of the nuances, but I thought Whedon made the film's intro into its world extremely painless...

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
Agree with Colin, I never saw firefly and loved Serenity. I ordered firefly after I watched it tho, hope it comes soon!

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I have a question from the world of geekdom. :D Browsing the aisle of dvds yesterday at Walmart I noticed several copies of Serenity. Is there a version out there with a cardboard slip case or is it just the regular aramay style?

I dig those cardboard slip covers over the dvds. :b :crazy:

Also, Amazon has Firefly for $34.99. Not bad for a TV season. Blind purchase?

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Not that anyone here would ever consider getting the so-called Full Screen version of Serenity, but if you are curious about how the Full Screen version was framed, The Dark Shape has posted screen caps comparing the two versions over at

serenitymovie.org (click here) (SPOILERS)

I'm pretty sure even non-forum members can click that link; if not, sorry.

Jeff*S*C*

Second Unit

Wal-Mart is running a $19.86 sale on FOX TV sets including Firefly. Their site seems to be sold out now but it was still running in the stores last time I checked.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Does this film get any better??

I have watched the first half hour and cannot believe how much it sucks!

Bad effects, horrible cringe inducing dialog, cheesy TV show look and feel (I know, deliberate right?), and bad acting by no name actors.

I was really looking forward to this after reading comments here but I guess this film is for fans of the show only.

I will try to finish it but I don't have high hopes.

What an incredible disappointment.

The DVD does look and sound great though.:D

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
If the dialogue makes you cringe, then no, you won't enjoy it. Whedon's signature style of writing is definately part of the major attraction. Or in your case unattraction. No shame in not liking everything, though.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I hate giving up on films, so I'll probably finish it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks