What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Serenity (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
"Two by two, hands blue." :)

I guess I have to remove these from their sealed bags and read them...

- Steve

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
very cool comic covers...

9 different covers for 3 issues featuring the 9 characters. I'll get the TPB next month. I don't collect comic books anymore, but wouldn't mind reading the TPB.

Brendon

Second Unit

Ooh! I had no idea there was anything like this out. Has Joss written them ? After the joy that was Fray, this would be a great way to get a fix. I've held off unwrapping Serenity on DVD until Christmas Day, so I can sit and watch it with my wife and a glass of the good red stuff.

And thanks for the thoughts on Serenity's theatrical take etc. Not quite the news I wanted to hear, but I can understand JW having to keep negotiations (if there are any) quiet. I remember JMS being in a similar position at the end of each season of Babylon 5.

Brendon

Jeff*S*C*

Second Unit
Yes the comics were written by Joss.

Just finished watching the DVD. I think the deleted "Inara and Sheyra" and "Extended Mal and Operative Coda" scenes should have stayed.

David Allum

Stunt Coordinator
DVD Talk Radio has an interesting interview with Joss Whedon (stream or download 28mins 19MB). Mostly about Serenity but with some discussion of the future of the Bufferverse. Towards the end of the piece he says he's going to be doing another three-part Serenity comic.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
BSG 2.0 is out on DVD? I'm confused - I thought it won't be out for quite a while. I'm interested in the $10 coupon that may be bundled with Serenity.

As for the Canadian version, the screenshot at amazon.ca doesn't show any trace of a bilingual cover. I guess we will find out soon enough if it is true...

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

In the US, yes, but that ".0" is significant -- it's only ten episodes. There'll be a BSG 2.5 in 2006 after the rest of season 2 airs.

As for Canada, I remember seeing something about the release there being delayed.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I picked up a couple of copies of Serenity just now - English only on the side I can see. :)

Firefly is on sale at HMV for $30 CDN - a good bargain if you're giving them away this xmas!

Thanks for the clarification on BSG 2.0. It isn't out here yet.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Although it's not much, but the movie made roughly 39 million at the box office SO FAR.

It's still opening in a few more locations and playing at some. It's not quite done overseas. But the DVD numbers will be amazing, that's my guess.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Thanks, that was an interesting read. However, it doesn't quite fit the mold of what Morena said at DragonCon. She teased us with the knowledge of her backstory. When they were still making the show she asked Joss (or possibly Tim) what her backstory was. He told her, and she said it was gooood. Some of the othe cast members chimed in that they knew it as well and it was something they all hoped came out in sequels.

But, I've just about given up hope on the sequels. I hadn't realized that the DVD had to make up THAT much ground. I don't think it can. Hopefully, Joss will tell us Inara's backstory in the comics.

There was also talk of a line of books, but they may be nixed after the poor box office.

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
Well, in my opinion

she probably already had the killer VD, and it was killing her, but the vial in the pilot episode was her medication so she could continue to do her "job", and that by putting it away instead of using it when the Reavers were coming she was indicating that she was stopping her medication so she could bump off some of the Reavers. There's obviously something she's dying of, as she left a lucrative position as whorehouse mother or temple mom or whatever they were calling it in "Heart of Gold" for no apparent reason, made oddly poignant comments about not wanting to die during "Out of Gas", and is just all-around hiding something which would make her want to tramp about space in a low-class vessel like Serenity when she could be travelling in style instead.

Like you, I have little hope for sequels, though I would welcome them with open arms were they to materialize. Don't know that I'd buy novels written by anyone other than Joss or other writers of the series; despite many recommendations from friends, I've never found more than one or two TV spinoff books that were worth a damn. Comics written by Joss are an obviously different story.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
This has to be a good sign:

I went into the closest BB last night to pick up Serenity, Firefly and BSG 2.0...there were no Firefly or BSG sets left. And only a handful of fullscreen Serenity.

I guess I'm going to do some hunting tonight.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Watched it last night, a most impressive dvd. The audio had a soild front soundstage, good use of surrounds and good, deep, clean bass. The video was quite clean with little EE, vibrant colors and deep, dark blacks.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I went to Fry's to pick up Serenity, and they didn't have it in the Sci-fi section, but, instead, it was located in the Action section. Grr... (I was tempted to checked their Western section had I not found it in the Action section).

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, instead of running three different stores tonight after work, I ordered online for in-store pickup. BSG 2.0 and Serenity. Grand total (with tax) $43.98. Hopefully, I can convince the BF to sit down and watch Serenity with me tonight.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Had the same experience like you Pat!

I went to Fry's before work yesterday (8:30am - Sunnyvale, CA), ... bee-lined straight to the Sci-Fi section, ... it wasn't there. Wandered back to the Action area and sure enough, ... they had about 6 Widescreen DVD's left just above the Yellow Serenity $14.99 one per customer sign!

I emailed my kid's and some friends about Fry's sale, and later that afternoon, my daughter emailed me to get her a copy since there is no Fry's near Cal Poly!

Went back to Fry's after work and all the Widescreen DVD's were sold out! They had about a dozen Full Screen DVD's though which most there picked-up, looked at the FS label and put it right back into the shelf.

A nice sales person offered to create a rain-check for a group of us and so I have a rain check to get another Serenity WS DVD for $14.99 when they get more stock!

DVD looks and sounds great (I forced-ON the Matrix 6.1 mode) & glorious!!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Phil

GarySchrock

Second Unit

They probably had them hidden. I had no trouble finding serenity at BB, but couldn't find BSG. When I asked the guy back in the dvd section, he dug into a box hidden under the new releases table and pulled one out for me. Guess they don't really want to sell them or something. And I won't even go into what a hassle it was to use that $10 coupon for buying both.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Gary, being the veteran of retail and marketing I am, I checked that idea out. They had zero boxes under the new release table, anywhere near the feature wall or underneath the TV shows section. There were loose sets of different shows (about 1 billon sets of Lost) but nothing else.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks