What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Serenity (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (1 Viewer)

dailW

Stunt Coordinator
if no one hasn't seen it yet and judging by the b.o. numbers not alot have , blind buy .don't hesitate , just buy. i'm planing on buying 3 one in wide-screen , one on PSP and one i'm about to use bad language here , FULL FRAME. :emoji_thumbsup:

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

Joss Whedon said there won't be another cut of the film, so if there is any double dip it would be limited (one can surmise) to including the Australian exclusives.

For now I'll do my part to support the franchise by buying both the US and the Australian release.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

That's funny! Your are correct that THX Re-EQ will indeed make a soundtrack less "fatiguing", yet at what cost? Do try playing your favorite music CD with Re-EQ, you just might find that the highs are crushed and the bass bloated.

Thanks for the review. This would be a blind purchase for me.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I understand the need to get a review out before street date, but if the disc in hand is not representative of the final product, a review before street date is pretty much useless to someone buying it on release day. This is obviously not HTF's fault.

Since Universal wasn't sending screeners at all for a while, IMO, I wouldn't bother reviewing the watermarked copies either. We're already used to not having reviews from Uni product, so no big difference. Uni needs to get the message from review sites thart they shouldn't bother sending them compromised product to review.

I don't think Ford would send a high-performance car for review to a car magazine and then make it so the car can't go above 30 MPH. Same applies here.

I have to admit, I am frequently impressed at how Uni is continually able to surprise me with terrible decisions, when each one seems like the worst they could have possibly done.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
I am also one who is buying multiple copies for friends and such. I was unable to catch it in the theater(I know, I should have) although I am a big fan of the series. Just knowing that the series might be able to make a jump to cable TV has made my week!!! :D

The GF has yet to watch the series so we are going on a Firefly marathon starting tonight. I think we should be able to get it done by Tue(crosses fingers).

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the review. I would be buying this even if you said the picture and sound quality were poor and it had zero extras. It's that good of a movie, IMO. It's borderline criminal that Firefly/Serenity hasn't found the widespread success that it deserves. It's quality storytelling and excellent SciFi.

TedT

Second Unit
Steve,

You tell WAY TOO MUCH in your recap of the movie! Half of it should be spoilerized!

Doesn't bother me because I've seen it, but man, you're giving out way way WAY too much information!

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
Again we were not talking about music and I hear no loss/cost with movie soundtracks. Music was not mixed to be played thru a perforated screen like movies are.
Sorry there is just alot of misleading information in your post.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Peter THX and Jeff Whitford: I *have* done my homework, that's why I said what I did. No need to be rude...I do come here from the audio boards, so I am kinda used to the level of rudeness there by so many participants. I do have THX-marked equip, and to me THX means nothing as far as a *quality* standard. It says something about meeting *some* standard though. Whether THX is on a disc or a pre-pro or my amps, it doesn't seem to mean a lot. To me. The one thing it does seem to mean is it sure isn't cheap gear...

I'm not going to argue THX with somebody who has THX in their user-name...what would be the point? :D

Anyway, Peter actually made the very point why I said what I did. What I was thinking of is that THX reduces high frequency content. But yes, I have tried THX on with a hissier older movie. And I can run THX with dts too, was just talking about it in another thread recently. I don't think it's a good idea, for that HF reason, but if you like it...

But my real issue was a general one, in that IMO some DVD audio ratings have been awfully high in some reviews lately. I guess I have no idea how audio is rated. Some describe their video ratings, so I have a better idea of that. And I guess more care about the video than the audio. It's all subjective anyway, but I have no idea anymore what 5 means for a DVD soundtrack. Certainly most discs that get a 5 have not been generally considered "reference". I think it's a good idea to say why a disc gets high marks for sound, or why it doesn't. Some people do. I like to know. I will not pretend that for most the sound isn't a poor cousin to the video, but it means a lot to me. I am now thinking that a 5 means it doesn't have any flaws, not that it's particularly great. That's not a bad way of looking at it, and may be how it's intended by everybody. I don't know...

Edit: I see there were other responses why I was typing mine (very slow typer). I don't want to get into "audio arguments" here. I frequent audio boards and moderate some others, thanks enough! I come here for the civility and reasonable discussion.

Matthew Clayton

Stunt Coordinator

Well, it's not like Universal is the only one issuing watermarked review copies. Dreamworks did that with the R2 edition of The Terminal and Fox did that with Fantastic 4 and Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
Craig Im not sure why you think I/we were being rude. You made the statement that it "ruins some sound quality" which isnt the case. You may not care for it but posting that it ruins something may give someone who is new to home theater and looking to HTF for information the wrong information. I certainly wasn't trying to be rude. I appologize if that was directed at me.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
OK, sorry Jeff, it just seemed "rude"...maybe I'm sensitive today??:D

To me, coming from the more audiophile end, though I refuse to call myself an audiophile (sounds pompous, to me), anything that removes sound content is "ruinous". I really do think that. But yes, this is probably not the right place to say that. There are other places where people will tell you *vigorously* (THX is a popular bashing-point, I'm more lenient). And movie soundtracks are hardly the source to criticise for mere HF removal by THX, there are plenty of much worse things going on. I must learn tolerance for this digital fad...

Anyway, my fault for even mentioning such a thing. I am *really* trying to get a handle on what the audio ratings mean here in reviews. IMO they're all over the place. It's pretty apparent to me that every reviewer has very different ideas. And I don't know what those ideas are. Probably not that many of us who care, and yes I can decide for myself and that's what really counts. The reviews are just an opinion and a guide, and we're thankful for that. Actually, come to think of it, many of us are possibly looking for reviews that warn us about the bad stuff, so we know what not to buy...we've often decided to buy a title well before the review so like to know if the DVD's been butchered.

I really do *try* not to talk of sound quality here much, but it's difficult for me based on my background, must show more restraint...

Kim D

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the review. I never ever would have considered picking up the DVD without it.

I saw the title "Serenity" and was sure that it was a dumb love story. I decided to open the thread anyway. Glad I did. This one is on my wish list.

- Kim

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
There are many pieces of equipment that go well be on the THX spec. No question. Lucasfilm also charges alot to have the THX logo.Probably too much. I still dont go along with the music CD thing though. I understand what you're trying to say but movies and music are mixed different. However I think your analogy should always be used when choosing speakers for a system thats going to be used for both music and movies. If the speakers sound great for music it will probably sound great for movies but not necessarily vice versa. Now what were we talking about,oh yeah Serenity.
Sorry for throwing the thread off course.:b

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Would I like Firefly/Serenity?
I do like Joss Whedon himself and I am a big Buffy fan. Didnt care for Angel too much though.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I like Buffy but thought Firefly was vastly overrated. It was good but nowhere near what I was thinking it would be. That being said, I'm probably the only person in the world who finds it overrated so what do I know? :)

My feelings aside, it's a pretty safe bet though that if you liked Buffy, Serenity would at least be worth renting for you (if not just flat out buying).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Until the recent Paramount acquisition, Universal was responsible for DreamWorks on home video. The recent Fox DVDs are disturbing though. I'm not going to say that Steve shouldn't review them (because other sites will with a far lesser degree of professionalism and disclosure), but a message needs to be sent to the studios. These aren't academy screeners we're talking about here.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I am the opposite, I found Buffy vastly overrated and Firefly much more entertaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks